Sponsor shake ups

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Postby Chase20460 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:24 pm

SpikeHyzer wrote:
grodney wrote:I have to believe the VAST majority of discs purchased in the world are purchased by people who don't give 2 sh!ts about what player is sponsored by what company. Nor is DG marketing anywhere near needing to worry about "top of mind" brand recognition for the VAST majority of buyers. So what's the point?


I completely agree with this statement from a disc manufacturer's standpoint. But from a vendor's standpoint or even say an apparel company, I can see having sponsored players. A pretty decent tax write off for a vendor(ProFlight/Iron Lion/LS Disc's/etc) to sponsor players.


Idk about for tax purposes, to be honest. That has no factor whatsoever for us. Its about marketing, and also about rewarding people who are active in the disc golf community.

Im in downsizing mode right now when it comes to the team. The team has been successful from a performance standpoint, but doesnt really generate immediate sales or anything. If I didnt care about advancing disc golf I wouldnt have a team of players at all, especially not the size it is. I would sponsor a few of the best players I could and hope they cared enough about my business to honor thier agreement with Iron Lion...this is not a road I plan to go down.

I have loyalty with the players I sponsor as that is what they have shown me. It sucks to have to tell people they are no longer active on Team, but I dont support your family or anything, so it isnt that hard.

I do believe that it promotes organized play and has been a factor in our and disc golfs growth locally, but I think that shared with good natured people that play the game and are helpful in making it presentable.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
User avatar
Chase20460
 
Posts: 5203
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: 2630 16th St. Moline IL

Postby ghstinshll » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:24 pm

I don't know Phil's history, but does he have a career in addition to DG to fund this? Maybe earned enough while with Innova in the past? Can someone fill me in about him?
##39027
ghstinshll
 
Posts: 4143
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:21 am
Location: Des Moines Area

Postby Chase20460 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:35 pm

Ok, so lets go over the common sense parts:

There are multiple owners. Thats all anyone knows with the exception that they are paying players minimum wage. Lots of those owners are old and had careers before starting this company. Im sure even more had good credit and the capitol needed to secure bank financing. If your going to open a world wide distribution company, its going to cost money and take time to develop. If you have all the money to start its alot easier to go all in. If your going to compete agianst Innova and Discraft, you better act like them and play on thier level..

...Whats silly is that because they gave some kids summer jobs people are comparing them to multi million dollar companies and they havent sold shit yet. They are not much different than subscription sellers. You invest the money to train them and put them up in shit hotels and feed them gut-rot, while they walk across the country selling magazing subscriptions. Just trade products.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
User avatar
Chase20460
 
Posts: 5203
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: 2630 16th St. Moline IL

Postby SpikeHyzer » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:39 pm

Chase20460 wrote:
SpikeHyzer wrote:
grodney wrote:I have to believe the VAST majority of discs purchased in the world are purchased by people who don't give 2 sh!ts about what player is sponsored by what company. Nor is DG marketing anywhere near needing to worry about "top of mind" brand recognition for the VAST majority of buyers. So what's the point?


I completely agree with this statement from a disc manufacturer's standpoint. But from a vendor's standpoint or even say an apparel company, I can see having sponsored players. A pretty decent tax write off for a vendor(ProFlight/Iron Lion/LS Disc's/etc) to sponsor players.


Idk about for tax purposes, to be honest. That has no factor whatsoever for us. Its about marketing, and also about rewarding people who are active in the disc golf community.


I didn't say that was the purpose of having a team. But, it is a nice little bonus of having a sponsored team.
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.
User avatar
SpikeHyzer
 
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:26 pm

Postby Ferch » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:49 pm

SpikeHyzer wrote:
grodney wrote:I have to believe the VAST majority of discs purchased in the world are purchased by people who don't give 2 sh!ts about what player is sponsored by what company. Nor is DG marketing anywhere near needing to worry about "top of mind" brand recognition for the VAST majority of buyers. So what's the point?


I completely agree with this statement from a disc manufacturer's standpoint. But from a vendor's standpoint or even say an apparel company, I can see having sponsored players. A pretty decent tax write off for a vendor(ProFlight/Iron Lion/LS Disc's/etc) to sponsor players.


I will gladly be a tax write off, lol.. pm after 8am
Living for flight. One day at a time.
Ferch
 
Posts: 541
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 10:04 am
Location: DSM

Postby Ferch » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:54 pm

SpikeHyzer wrote:
Chase20460 wrote:
SpikeHyzer wrote:
grodney wrote:I have to believe the VAST majority of discs purchased in the world are purchased by people who don't give 2 sh!ts about what player is sponsored by what company. Nor is DG marketing anywhere near needing to worry about "top of mind" brand recognition for the VAST majority of buyers. So what's the point?


I completely agree with this statement from a disc manufacturer's standpoint. But from a vendor's standpoint or even say an apparel company, I can see having sponsored players. A pretty decent tax write off for a vendor(ProFlight/Iron Lion/LS Disc's/etc) to sponsor players.


Idk about for tax purposes, to be honest. That has no factor whatsoever for us. Its about marketing, and also about rewarding people who are active in the disc golf community.



I didn't say that was the purpose of having a team. But, it is a nice little bonus of having a sponsored team.


It is a deductible expense. Doesn't qualify as charity. Anyways, like Chase pretty much said, time will tell us how great Prodigy can be.
Living for flight. One day at a time.
Ferch
 
Posts: 541
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 10:04 am
Location: DSM

Postby lennythrowsdiscraft » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:28 pm

entitlement, Im starting to see a lot of this from the younger players. Act as if they are "owed" everything and respect. Whatever.....winning two nt events big deal.
lennythrowsdiscraft
 
Posts: 346
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:45 pm

Postby Chase20460 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:01 pm

Says the guy that cried when Cale left Discraft...
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
User avatar
Chase20460
 
Posts: 5203
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: 2630 16th St. Moline IL

Postby lennythrowsdiscraft » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:12 pm

Chase20460 wrote:Says the guy that cried when Cale left Discraft...


Loyalty is with Discraft.
lennythrowsdiscraft
 
Posts: 346
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:45 pm

Postby AO » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:48 pm

It would appear Dave is no longer with Team Innova.
AO
 
Posts: 4313
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:06 pm
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA

Postby prodiscgolf » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:18 pm

To answer the question about Phil, when he lived in Chicago, he had his own custom carpet design business. Made some pretty cool designs. I believe he was doing that down in GA too, but haven't asked him lately. He's a hard worker, so I'm sure he's built a successful business.
prodiscgolf
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:25 pm
Location: Coralville, IA

Postby Nohr » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:45 am

AO wrote:It would appear Dave is no longer with Team Innova.


There are all kinds of rumors running around dgcr about him not being on team innova.

Some rumblings about NSDGT not paying entry fees or not paying ams out on the website. It doesn't make sense that all of heat from the NSDG tour is falling only on borgs shoulders. Cale/Nikko/Shusterick seems unscathed.
Nohr
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:12 pm
Location: Cedar Rapids

Postby The Donator » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:11 am

Nohr wrote:
AO wrote:It would appear Dave is no longer with Team Innova.


There are all kinds of rumors running around dgcr about him not being on team innova.

Some rumblings about NSDGT not paying entry fees or not paying ams out on the website. It doesn't make sense that all of heat from the NSDG tour is falling only on borgs shoulders. Cale/Nikko/Shusterick seems unscathed.

Whatever happened with the NSDGT?
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
User avatar
The Donator
 
Posts: 6304
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:07 pm
Location: West Des Moines, IA

Postby ghstinshll » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:10 am

prodiscgolf wrote:To answer the question about Phil, when he lived in Chicago, he had his own custom carpet design business. Made some pretty cool designs. I believe he was doing that down in GA too, but haven't asked him lately. He's a hard worker, so I'm sure he's built a successful business.


that's very cool. thanks for the inside info.
##39027
ghstinshll
 
Posts: 4143
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:21 am
Location: Des Moines Area

Postby medicinal funk » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:17 am

Titan Disc Golf

-

don't feed the frucks
User avatar
medicinal funk
 
Posts: 868
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 8:36 am
Location: cedar rapids

PreviousNext

Return to Stuff

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron