Sponsor shake ups

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Postby Swisher Streets » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:32 am

All this time before releasing any information and the best names they can come up with for their drivers are D1, D2, D3, D4 :lol:
Swisher Streets

Postby SpikeHyzer » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:09 pm

Swisher Streets wrote:All this time before releasing any information and the best names they can come up with for their drivers are D1, D2, D3, D4 :lol:

They partnered with Lightning :lol:
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.
SpikeHyzer

Postby Cydisc » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:27 pm

Swisher Streets wrote:All this time before releasing any information and the best names they can come up with for their drivers are D1, D2, D3, D4 :lol:

They missed the boat by not offering a disc called "Firestarter".
Cydisc

Postby prodiscgolf » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:34 pm

Phil is that low key even on the course. He's a gentleman and an overall sincere person. I'm excited for him and the others to see what comes of this, if for nothing else to see my friends make something of their disc golf passions.

I agree the naming convention is a bit weak, but this way they don't have to keep coming up with obscure names that aren't already taken. It takes me back to the midnight flyers days when they were numbered.
prodiscgolf

Postby tufluk » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:26 pm

ghstinshll wrote:...and what is the model that drew all those players out?

It had to be the money. Those guys know it's the archer, not the arrow. They will shoot hot rounds with any good plastic.
tufluk

Postby The Donator » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:33 pm

tufluk wrote:
ghstinshll wrote:...and what is the model that drew all those players out?

It had to be the money. Those guys know it's the archer, not the arrow. They will shoot hot rounds with any good plastic.

Smartest post youve ever had there Tufluk :lol:
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby Swisher Streets » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:10 pm

Supposedly 10k a year + bonuses for everyone. They better start selling a lot of plastic if they are going to cover that promise
Swisher Streets

Postby lennythrowsdiscraft » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:06 am

Swisher Streets wrote:Supposedly 10k a year + bonuses for everyone. They better start selling a lot of plastic if they are going to cover that promise

I heard this as well. I heard 1k a month plus bonus.
lennythrowsdiscraft

Postby Nohr » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:30 am

grumblings that prodigy might have some CE type plastics.

If every player on the roster owns a part of the company it is going to be very interesting. They could get lots of publicity if the team performs well.
Nohr

Postby grodney » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:39 am

I don't get the whole "sponsored players" thing. This is one of those times where lack of info in this tiny game is a frustrating thing.

Like --
What % of ALL disc golf players could name 5 of the top 10 players? Or 2? Or any?
What % of discs are purchased by players who can't name 2? Or any?

I have to believe the VAST majority of discs purchased in the world are purchased by people who don't give 2 sh!ts about what player is sponsored by what company. Nor is DG marketing anywhere near needing to worry about "top of mind" brand recognition for the VAST majority of buyers. So what's the point?
grodney

Postby SpikeHyzer » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:28 am

grodney wrote:I have to believe the VAST majority of discs purchased in the world are purchased by people who don't give 2 sh!ts about what player is sponsored by what company. Nor is DG marketing anywhere near needing to worry about "top of mind" brand recognition for the VAST majority of buyers. So what's the point?

I completely agree with this statement from a disc manufacturer's standpoint. But from a vendor's standpoint or even say an apparel company, I can see having sponsored players. A pretty decent tax write off for a vendor(ProFlight/Iron Lion/LS Disc's/etc) to sponsor players.
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.
SpikeHyzer

Postby Detra319 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:08 pm

Because people in Iowa are talking about Prodigy discs, and it only cost them 150k. People in advertising would kill for that kind of spread off of that little of an investment. It seems like alot of money to you and me, but in the business world its less than small change.
The finial... Even with no clouds!
Detra319

Postby ghstinshll » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:18 pm

Do Innova & Discraft sponsored players sign contracts to be sponsored?

When does A-Rod get to sign on w/ Prodigy? :lol: Seriously though, this does change the game of sponsorship a bit.

Do STAR team players for Innova get paid like that? I would think so. But if Innova ONLY gives them plastic to sell, and work selling plastic, it seems much easier to be paid a flat amount, and then the additional sales might be a bonus on top of that.

It might explain why many of these names are going to Prodigy. Some were buried under other players, maybe>?
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby 10up » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:18 pm

jesus what kind of capital are they going into this with that 150k is a drop in the bucket?
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby ghstinshll » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:19 pm

Nohr wrote:grumblings that prodigy might have some CE type plastics.

This sounds like some kind of spin/marketing bullshit. CE's the holy grail - believe it when I see it.
##39027
ghstinshll

PreviousNext

Return to Stuff