Sponsor shake ups

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Postby peyton » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:38 pm

All it takes is one nice little injury to stop a traveling pro. Medical insurance it the biggest prize they could win.
peyton

Postby Chase20460 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:52 pm

[quote="Detra319"]I wanna see what this explosion of disc companies has done to Innova's bottom line. Too bad they are privately held and don't release results.

Innova isnt having problems selling discs. The fact they sell so many is what makes these players feel like they should be getting a part of it. Same with Discraft.

Has nothing to do with this "huge" project that Nikko and Arroyo have been working on? And major players in the sport would be good, if nothing else they will clean out the bottom end of the market that is more like mystics then disc sellers. Listen to some of the more ruthless disc sellers sell a disc to a beginner and the newb walks away knowing less than when they started.

I dont know who your talking about as there are only a few vendors in this area. Nikkos project is similar to a project that has been around for awhile, called EDGE. It also is run by a company that makes baskets. The goal is for them to sell more baskets. You buy one, they contribute money towards putting baskets in schools. Thier baskets obviously. Nikko tries to sell groups on large purchases. Im sure there are millions of levels to how its impact will be felt, but thats the basics of what I have seen. Good luck to him.

quote]
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby Chase20460 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:56 pm

Like_Water wrote:Yeah, I'm not sure why guys want things to change. DG model is perfect as is.

1. What are you talking about?

2. How is any of what is taking place going to improve disc golf?

3. What is it you do to help the model improve?

Personally, I dont see it at all. I see a bunch of people thinking they are getting a bigger slice of the pie, but what really changes? Same events, same players, same payouts. Maybe they get a little larger on the top end. That effects what? 2% of the disc golfers out there?

Chase20460

Postby Like_Water » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:10 pm

Chase20460 wrote:
Like_Water wrote:Yeah, I'm not sure why guys want things to change. DG model is perfect as is.

1. What are you talking about?

It's not broke, why fix it? why change?

2. How is any of what is taking place going to improve disc golf?

Do you know any details? If so, please share. It's all speculation at this point.

3. What is it you do to help the model improve?

I type shit on message boards. That's all.

Personally, I dont see it at all. I see a bunch of people thinking they are getting a bigger slice of the pie, but what really changes? Same events, same players, same payouts. Maybe they get a little larger on the top end. That effects what? 2% of the disc golfers out there?

I don't either. I also have very little idea what anyone is doing. I play golf and work. The sport's growing, there is no denying that. Just because I don't see it doesn't mean it can't or won't happen. This isn't just something trendy to do. These guys wouldn't jump ship if they thought it was a bad deal. Maybe they are taking a risk, but without it, there's no reward. I hope it all works out. I hope someone develops something real. If I knew what that meant or was, I'd do it myself.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Like_Water » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:57 pm

Emerging Sports Network

Looking to be distributed on Comcast and another.

DG teaming up with Beach Volleyball and Jetski Racing to form this network.

Someones doing something...Brian Graham.

http://discgolftalkradio.com/2012/news- ... -the-pdga/
Like_Water

Postby cgkdisc » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:32 pm

Sounds like this Emerging Sports Network might be another venture of John Duesler of Disc Golf Planet TV. http://www.emergingsports.info/
cgkdisc

Postby Cydisc » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:16 pm

cgkdisc wrote:Sounds like this Emerging Sports Network might be another venture of John Duesler of Disc Golf Planet TV. http://www.emergingsports.info/

It should change the complexion of the game.
Cydisc

Postby discgolfduval » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:19 pm

This Emerging Sports Network looks awesome and that doesnt even count the disc golf coverage.
discgolfduval

Postby Chase20460 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:45 pm

discgolfduval wrote:This Emerging Sports Network looks awesome and that doesnt even count the disc golf coverage.

Agreed. Hope it helps, cant see how it wont.

Chase20460

Postby AO » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:06 pm

Like_Water wrote:Emerging Sports Network

Looking to be distributed on Comcast and another.

DG teaming up with Beach Volleyball and Jetski Racing to form this network.

Someones doing something...Brian Graham.

http://discgolftalkradio.com/2012/news- ... -the-pdga/

Now that's a shake up and would appear to be a move in the right direction. Hope it works out. Wonder what tournaments they will televise??..
AO

Postby cgkdisc » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:36 pm

Memorial and Beaver State Fling have been mentioned so far. You would think Worlds and USDGC might be the other ones or maybe Vibram.
cgkdisc

Postby Dana » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:41 am

A # I've heard floated around is 1k per player, a month for the Prodigy/Lavonne Wolfe/Phil Arthur/unnamed KY big shot venture.

Assume Shusterick gets that 1k a month on top of what the journey post gives him per month ($500+) and what that big hyzer bag co gives him (not sure on that #), he will be making decent money.
$15-$20k in sponsorship money aint too shabby.
Dana

Postby IHearChains » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:45 pm

Dana wrote:A # I've heard floated around is 1k per player, a month for the Prodigy/Lavonne Wolfe/Phil Arthur/unnamed KY big shot venture.

Assume Shusterick gets that 1k a month on top of what the journey post gives him per month ($500+) and what that big hyzer bag co gives him (not sure on that #), he will be making decent money.
$15-$20k in sponsorship money aint too shabby....for a guy with no responsibilities

That might cover health insurance and very basic shelter. A step in the right direction I suppose. If his lady has a great job, it might even be sustainable... til she gets tired of it.
IHearChains

Postby 10up » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:50 pm

But stick 4 of the top touring pro's together in a house and they can afford it.

AND the network has it's first reality series. You have to have a reality series to be a real Network.
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby Like_Water » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:11 pm

IHearChains wrote:
Dana wrote:A # I've heard floated around is 1k per player, a month for the Prodigy/Lavonne Wolfe/Phil Arthur/unnamed KY big shot venture.

$15-$20k in sponsorship money aint too shabby....for a guy with no responsibilities

That might cover health insurance and very basic shelter. A step in the right direction I suppose. If his lady has a great job, it might even be sustainable... til she gets tired of it.

Or if he's enrolled in online classes,he's still covered by his parents.
Like_Water

PreviousNext

Return to Stuff