What Now?

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Postby geoffreylaw » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:33 pm

frogawitdafizzle wrote:
Abe Froman wrote:when the line moves from fair working conditions to literally forcing a company out of business over their underserved pensions it's simply greed as stake. pensions are a pipe dream for most people but is it worth closing the doors?.... no

unions say they work for their employees and members but really its now just another endless piggy bank for union bosses. unfortunately my lefty dem brothern supports their actions and i am not a fan of this. a few times the unions tried to come into my work and pimp the workers into joining the clan. just to have another daddy telling me what to do, and for what less pay, more expensive insurance, "dues" and another big brother watching my every move. it wouldve halted my progression as i was younger than most and union dictates a military style progression so i would've been screwed out of well deserved promotions in favor or lazy old fucks that felt entitled to certain jobs due to their age. sorry you're 52 and still make 15$ an hr, there's a reason for that and its not favoritism. its anti idiocracy

unions are good for trades and federal jobs(yes pro sports too, even though bud selig would disagree), keeps craftsmanship and training at the best and allows fair wages for people that were once very taken advantage of and worked to injury or death just to receive nothing.
Unions ARE the only reason you get a fair wage today.

Here's an inside perspective of this whole Hostess situation.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/11/1 ... ss-Bankery

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything."
~Friedrich Nietzsche
geoffreylaw

Postby Chase20460 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:06 am

Little Debbie sucks.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby Like_Water » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:27 pm

frogawitdafizzle wrote:
Abe Froman wrote:when the line moves from fair working conditions to literally forcing a company out of business over their underserved pensions it's simply greed as stake. pensions are a pipe dream for most people but is it worth closing the doors?.... no

unions say they work for their employees and members but really its now just another endless piggy bank for union bosses. unfortunately my lefty dem brothern supports their actions and i am not a fan of this. a few times the unions tried to come into my work and pimp the workers into joining the clan. just to have another daddy telling me what to do, and for what less pay, more expensive insurance, "dues" and another big brother watching my every move. it wouldve halted my progression as i was younger than most and union dictates a military style progression so i would've been screwed out of well deserved promotions in favor or lazy old fucks that felt entitled to certain jobs due to their age. sorry you're 52 and still make 15$ an hr, there's a reason for that and its not favoritism. its anti idiocracy

unions are good for trades and federal jobs(yes pro sports too, even though bud selig would disagree), keeps craftsmanship and training at the best and allows fair wages for people that were once very taken advantage of and worked to injury or death just to receive nothing.
Unions ARE the only reason you get a fair wage today.

But when they price themselves out of the marketplace, you get no wage.

Handing an auto maker over to the very entity that destroyed their stake in the marketplace was insane. They should have failed.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby tufluk » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:29 pm

Chase20460 wrote:Little Debbie sucks.

I agree, but if I'm grabbing a quick snack on the go, the $.79 honey bun, gets washed down with a cup of joe just like the $1.39 hostess cupcake. And enters the sewer in the same way. Except... I have an extra half a buck in my wallet. They're both nothing but flour, grease and high fructose corn syrup. (plus preservatives)
tufluk

Postby irban » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:04 pm

Unions are scapegoats in this situation, as usual.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:39 pm

Yea, they claimed bankruptcy a few years ago.
frogawitdafizzle

Postby Like_Water » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:15 pm

irban wrote:Unions are scapegoats in this situation, as usual.

As usual.
Like_Water

Postby Detra319 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:27 am

Unions protect workers. Corporations protect profits. Without unions, productivity increases but wages either stay flat or reduce.

Wait, am I describing the US workers wage over the last 50 years? You bet....unions suck, mmhmm. Suck.

Unions are outdated today, don't get me wrong. But that is because they refuse to be flexible and all they think about is more. If we don't have someone fighting for workers rights (cause congress sure as hell isn't), the corporations squeeze more out of us and pay us less. Which is what they have been doing forever.
The finial... Even with no clouds!
Detra319

Postby strokersix » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:50 am

You may have heard that Hostess Bakery plants shut down due to a workers' strike.
But you may not have heard how it was split up. After the Government bankruptcy takeover the State Department hired all the Twinkies, the Secret Service hired all the HoHos, the generals are sleeping with the Cupcakes and the voters sent all the Ding Dongs to Congress.
strokersix

Postby Like_Water » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:04 am

Unions are Governments. They grind productivity to a halt, take money, produce nothing. Very anti market.
Like_Water

Postby Detra319 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:38 pm

Like_Water wrote:Unions are Governments. They grind productivity to a halt, take money, produce nothing. Very anti market.

Hence stagnant wages for workers since the 60's. But yeah, the market totally wants to reward the worker for all the hard work. Because capitalism is NOT perfect *gasp* Crazy, I know.
The finial... Even with no clouds!
Detra319

Previous

Return to Stuff