Trophies for Pro divisions

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

would pro's prefer to not get trophy instead keeping that money in the purse

trophy
61%
no trophy
22%
don't care
17%

Total votes : 23

Postby Like_Water » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:42 am

I guess I see it as a customer/purveyor relationship vs an employee/employer relationship.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:58 am

grodney wrote:
GDL17921 wrote: read ANY book on leadership. I have, and have been working on improving relationships all over the place

Your avatar flips me off every time I look at it.

never said I was perfect, thanks for pointing it out
Last edited by GDL17921 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GDL17921

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:59 am

Like_Water wrote:I guess I see it as a customer/purveyor relationship vs an employee/employer relationship.

and I guess I see opportunities to be a leader in more settings than just at work
GDL17921

Postby 10up » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:50 pm

I agree with Jay in the threadjack topic. I couldn't care less about Pro Trophies as far as "on topic" goes.

"Good Job" only becomes meaningless when the task you're performing OR the person complimenting you is meaningless. If it's given to you for something that you actually care about and are putting effort into doing well, it means everything in the world. Especially if it is coming from someone whom you respect in said task or job or skill or whatever.

So basically, yeah, if you have a shitty job that you don't give a shit about with a boss that sucks.. "Good Job" probably becomes a little patronizing after a little while.. But I certainly don't think that's the norm, especially in the context of what Jay was saying.

Honestly, it's the end of a competition, not a day of work. If you're the best, everybody that you beat needs to know it. Or else they shouldn't play.
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby AO » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:58 pm

I voted for trophies.
AO

Postby diskey river » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:06 pm

i know as a Pro your in it for the money, but a true competition junkie wants that trophy
diskey river

Postby Like_Water » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:25 pm

diskey river wrote:i know as a Pro your in it for the money, but a true competition junkie wants that trophy

Well, that's inaccurate.

The money is a bonus. The competition is what brings me back year after year. Anymore, without competition, I rarely want to play disc golf.

I keep thinking of ideas that could make the TD's life easier, but they seem to not go over very well. :oops: I'll shut up, for now.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:20 pm

I'll end with this thought. Giving back to the sport has made me appreciate it a lot more - and the recognition that comes with it is part of what makes me want to continue.

I've learned that part of being a good leader is considering how you can make an environment better for others. You'll find leaders in other places besides work. You can be a good leader in your marraige/family, among your friends, among your work peers (ones you don't manage), and even in the disc golf community.

To tie this back to the original post and this thread - I have always viewed Victor Clark as a good leader in the disc golf community. He had meaningful things to say that if you think about, was good life advice. I remember at one league night he quipped that "there are a lot of people that play disc golf, for lots of different reasons. Try and respect all of them." Good disc golf/life advice... Victor always did a great job recognizing people at his events too - whether it be his use of voice intonation that made his awards ceremonies sound like the beginning of a prize fight, or just the fact that nobody leaves emptyhanded at his low-key FBI tourneys, or the over the top lasagne dinners that he and Tina did for so many years.

I'm not saying that everybody should be just like Vic, I'm just saying that he made a positive impression on me, and I'll always thank and remember him for that.

I'd like to eventually be remembered for something positive like that. How do you want to be remembered?
GDL17921

Postby fsaddle » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:44 pm

GDL17921 wrote:1st place only - I hate 2nd and 3rd place trophies.

i.e....."Coca-Cola Classic"
fsaddle

Postby tufluk » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:34 pm

As long as the trophies are unique and of value. The cheap mass produced, fake gold plated ones, I don't know. They go in the closet. The etched glass cup or plate, or the wooden plaque (oak or walnut) are usually displayed. I've seen some nice ones made by old man Mike.
tufluk

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:04 am

fsaddle wrote:
GDL17921 wrote:1st place only - I hate 2nd and 3rd place trophies.

i.e....."Coca-Cola Classic"

yup, I like the uniqueness of those trophies. I've been in favor of getting something sweeter for the challenge other than the etched acrylic ones we've been doing, AND only having them for 1st place. So far, I've been in the minority on that though.
GDL17921

Postby 1semenking » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:30 pm

GDL17921 wrote:there's a lot of evidence that people like recognition - sometimes even more than money :shock:

Of course the recognition is nice! It is also a necessary part of filling the ever common void of ego that any competitor in any sport has. Can I compare our great sport to any other? We see interviews in the homes of Champions and that show MTV Cribs gets access as well. Not one time have I witnessed a stack of cash on a mantle or in a trophy case. Or in my pocket...but thats another story.
1semenking

trohies

Postby mkurtz » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:02 pm

I take my generic trophies and take off the label and place them on another larger plaque (sort of a memory board) and recycle the trophies and give them to lance for his tournies. :idea:
blizzards and wizards
mkurtz

Postby Clue » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:34 am

I'd say C tier maybe to no, first place only, keep it inexpensive

B tier probably 1st place only still, maybe put a little more effort into it

A tier on up probably top 3 and make them unique

I'd much prefer stamped disc or plaque over the traditional stand up trophies. Those are gay.
Clue

Trophies

Postby DLCdisc » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:19 am

How bout a non-sanctioned event growing in popularity with hand made and unique plaques without touching the payout?? :D :D :D

Shameless -- I know. Thought I would save myself some time not doing the woodburning I did the last two years and came up with a new idea. Boy was I wrong. It will be worth it when they are done though.
Last edited by DLCdisc on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
DLCdisc

PreviousNext

Return to Stuff