Need Opinions

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Would hole maps stamped into the tee pads work

YES
42%
NO
58%

Total votes : 12

Need Opinions

Postby puppetmaster » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:23 am

Getting ready to re-do the Norwalk course. Signs are a big problem right now because of the money factor and city budget is tight.

What I'm thinking about doing is just get a "nice" course map sign and hand stamping the hole info on the tee pad, a mini map that look similar to a tee sign that would be as large as the tee pad.

It would still have a nice broom finish with the info on the whole tee pad so it wouldn't be to rough; hole #, feet to basket, arrow to next tee pad and a map and we would have the sponcers on nine of the pads.

The signs we had looked really nice but the kids totally distroyed them. And as a side note am also thinking about adding color to the maps on the tee pads (concrete dye).

I'd like to know what people think of the idea. I still need to talk this over with the city also.

And Norwalk will become a 9 basket course with 2 tee pads, making it play like a 18. Signs will be marked 1 to 18, not 1 long and 1 short.
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
puppetmaster

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:10 am

I'd just go with the numbers, like Colfax's. What you're talking about doing sounds pretty time consuming, for what it is. I think your time is better spent brewing. You wanted opinions, you got one.

I think if we were installing a championship course and the parks wouldn't allow signage, maybe this would be worth the time and effort.
GDL17921

Postby Discgo » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:17 am

Hole # and distance would be all I cared about. Maybe a basket stamped on the end of the tee that points towards the pin if there are going to be other pins close by or confusion.
Chain-outs since last ace - 1
Discgo

Postby Beerman » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:28 am

For the time and money it would cost I would print score cards with a map on it.

It would only amount to a couple 100 every year and the only thing that can be vandalized is the box u put the cards in.
Beerman

Postby jnecessary » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:45 pm

Beerman wrote:For the time and money it would cost I would print score cards with a map on it.

It would only amount to a couple 100 every year and the only thing that can be vandalized is the box u put the cards in.

Hahaha, believe me if it can it will. I put a box out at Peninsula, just a little plastic box sealed from the elements and put free cards in it...took a couple months but it was busted apart and scribbled in the bottom was "EAT D*CKS" or something to that effect.

Sorry for the side note, but I laughed a bit reading that statement because of the truth.
jnecessary

Postby 10up » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:52 pm

should just make a website with the distances and hole #'s. Could even have it so you can update the pin positions. Then just stick one of those Barcodes around somewhere that people can scan.

Vandals don't use iPhones do they?
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:06 pm

I actually like that idea Dan. Took the parents to LHF last time they were in town and really enjoyed all those, it was like having a tour guide that you could just turn off when they got annoying.
GDL17921

Postby grodney » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:23 pm

I wouldn't do anything permanent in the concrete regarding length or hole direction -- basket placements sometimes need to change.

A minimal sign with hole number and distance is nice, but not necessary, especially if vandalism is a problem.
grodney

Postby irban » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:28 pm

Agreed. You could even add local info about leagues and tourneys. Maybe even ads for the nearest QuikTrip or whatever. Possible fundraiser? Not sure how all of that works.

Good thinking Dan. One reason America is #1! :mrgreen:
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby puppetmaster » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:12 am

Went to the P&R meeting last night, everything went very smooth and they liked the idea because it will be easier for the mowers and the kids wont be able to destroy the signs. They voted on getting 1 nice course sign that will be placed close to the road (hole 1). City is going to let me rip all the old pads up (info is wrong now that was stamped in it) and they are paying for everything and the best part is, I get to do everything on the clock.
So if you see or meet Nancy, give her a big thank you. Now we just need to find the time to do everything. But the ball is rolling foward now.
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
puppetmaster

Postby 10up » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:34 am

Hey has that course design been tweaked at all? maybe now would be a good time to make sure you can't kill any skaters.

Good job on the funding.
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby puppetmaster » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:11 am

Yep, hole two (skate park basket) is gone. Hole 3 will be hole two and so on until hole 6, then it will be longer holes on 7 and 8 and 9. No more 12 baskets, just 9 with two pads per basket.
puppetmaster

Postby irban » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:20 am

Well, the bar's pretty high down there in Norwalk. To be honest, I'll be disappointed if your teepad maps are anything less than a 3-D perspective of the hole.

~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby puppetmaster » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:33 pm

LOL, well I'm not going to get that fancy but just for Corey, Im going to put stick figures of dogs everywhere.
puppetmaster

Return to Stuff