Howdy

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Howdy

Postby dorelse » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:44 am

Just joined.

My family has just gotten into Disc Golfing. We were out at Walnut when someone offered to let us play a hole with them as we were asking them about the sport. Nice ambassador ... wish I knew their names, nice young couple.

We ended up playing holes 1-3 and headed out and bought some discs to get us going.

Anyway, we've since played Adel (3x), Dallas Center (1x), Walnut (1x) and Lennox a couple times.

Lennox is extremely close to the house...so its easy for a quick round. Does anyone know if they're ok with visitors playing? We found all the tee's and I drew up a course map on a Google maps satellite image. Plus...the kids (10 & 8) can play with the chance of a par or honest bogey. If they don't want non-employees there, we'll respect that!

So far, we like Adel a lot, nice course, kids can't do too much damage out there, and not much chance of losing a disc. Walnut is too difficult for us right now.

Just wanted to say Hi!
dorelse

Re: Howdy

Postby IHearChains » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:31 am

Welcome! My kids like disc golf too. I got serious about it because after age 40 I need a lower impact exercise than basketball. Still love a good pick-up game at the gym, but I found its very easy to get addicted to disc golf! Have fun!
IHearChains

Postby GDL17921 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:37 am

Nope they don't mind at Lennox, but one thing I do know is that that building will be primarily rented by Interstate Battery in the no so far off future. Not sure what we plan on doing with the baskets there, as they were fabricated in our Lennox's shop many years ago. I used to have an office there, but now work in Marshalltown at the factory. But to answer your question, you are totally fine using the Lennox course as long as it's there!

Cheers
GDL17921

Postby irban » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:53 am

Welcome to a great sport. Also props to whoever spent the time with you to get started. I think you'll find a lot of people like that in disc golf.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Swisher Streets » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:09 am

I'm from Van Meter and I played Adel a lot when I first got started. Still love that course for a 9 holer.You should definitely check out the courses in Van Meter and Waukee as well. Both are beginner friendly and on the shorter side being 9 and 12 holes with hardly any other golfers out while you're playing so you don't have to worry about how fast/slow you're playing.
Swisher Streets

Postby dorelse » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:30 pm

Thanks for the welcome!

Yeah, I didn't get to catch their names...but what a nice way to be a steward for the sport.

We just got back from playing a small 9-hole course in Kasson, MN at my in-laws, continuing to learn the game.

We also found a disc out at the Lennox site on Friday, so I need to get a txt off to the phone number on the disc tomorrow.

I'm learning that we likely bought some 'expert' discs and we need to dial it back a bit to some more appropriate for beginners.

I'm throwing a Innova Destroyer & a R-Pro Roc. Hoping to hit Adel again this week and possibly some others.
dorelse

Postby IHearChains » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:49 am

dorelse wrote:I'm learning that we likely bought some 'expert' discs and we need to dial it back a bit to some more appropriate for beginners.

I'm throwing a Innova Destroyer & a R-Pro Roc. Hoping to hit Adel again this week and possibly some others.

Are you having trouble getting that Destroyer to fly straight? Does it dive too hard to the left when you throw right hand backhand? If so, you might want to try a Roadrunner or Leopard.
IHearChains

Postby ghstinshll » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:04 am

That happens a lot when picking out discs. Don't let it discourage you though - the sport & its discs are flexible for every kind of player.
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby dorelse » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:31 am

IHearChains wrote:Are you having trouble getting that Destroyer to fly straight? Does it dive too hard to the left when you throw right hand backhand? If so, you might want to try a Roadrunner or Leopard.

Yeah, essentially that's it. I've had a few beauties when I've thrown it right side armed where it all comes together. I'm working on throwing right backhand and it'll fly 100ft and then dive into the ground to the left.

I'll be looking for a Leopard yeah, seems like that's the standard beginner disc and I'll start from there.
dorelse

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:35 am

anything understable will work, learn to flip those flat, once they start dumping to the right, you're ready to work up the stability ladder
GDL17921

Postby dorelse » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:50 pm

BTW...I'm sure others have already done this better than I, but I put together a map of Lennox so we wouldn't have to keep searching for the tee boxes:

dorelse

Postby Like_Water » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:32 pm

dorelse wrote:
IHearChains wrote:Are you having trouble getting that Destroyer to fly straight? Does it dive too hard to the left when you throw right hand backhand? If so, you might want to try a Roadrunner or Leopard.

Yeah, essentially that's it. I've had a few beauties when I've thrown it right side armed where it all comes together. I'm working on throwing right backhand and it'll fly 100ft and then dive into the ground to the left.

I'll be looking for a Leopard yeah, seems like that's the standard beginner disc and I'll start from there.

Stalker and Buzzz are great discs for all skill levels.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Nohr » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:46 am

If you are in Des Moines area try out Ewing park. I would say it is easier than Walnut although still pretty hard. Ewing is soon to undergo some changes due to expanding a road near the park. Hit this up while it is still there fun times.
Nohr

Postby SARG27044 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:01 am

The Des Moines Disc Golf Club has league every Tuesday, tee @ 6pm. Tonight is at Grandview. Good beginner course, although its stretched out to the long pin placements right now...
SARG27044

Postby irban » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:42 am

To be honest, I didn't think there were any trees on the Lennox course.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Next

Return to Stuff