New Course in Newton is ready for play

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:09 pm

Carter45145 wrote:
grodney wrote:Just looking at the distance and the photos, it looks like a bit of a tweener distance for a wide range of players, i.e. 4 might be a very common score. Better players (longer throwers) will get a 3 sometimes. Worse players will struggle to make 4.

Anyway, calling it a par 4 is probably more helpful; but if you want to keep rockin it old school, it's all good.
Par is irrelevant. Every hole could be a par two and it would make no difference in the total amount of strokes that it takes you to complete the hole!

This is one of the only things I hate about disc golf. And it is exactly why I don't like asking people how they shot at a tournament. Most people answer with "I was 2 under or 4 over" ect., instead of saying how many strokes it took them to complete the course. (Stepping off my soap box)

I agree Carter, par is whatever you want it to be, or whatever makes you feel better. Bottom line is, lowest score at the end of the round wins.
GDL17921

Postby Jim C » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:29 pm

Yep pretty fun 12 holer. wanted to thank Mr Joe Urias, all the hole sponsors and our outstanding park department for making this course a reality. It's a good addition to woodland, that's the park Newton's baseball team plays but the entire other part of the park has went unused or hardly used forever. They haven't even been mowing it all for a few years.

Kinda a shame its only 12 holes but space is limited, it plays fast, some very short walks from pin to next tee really speed things along. (watch your back) All holes except the valley shot will be reachable for experienced throwers, but the parks elevation is utilized pretty well. Alot of low ceiling and forced routes make it a challenge.

I really don't think the valley shot is that hard, it may look bad in the picture but its gonna be a much easier 3 then 11 long at maytag. But that said it probably wont have much score variation for pro players
Jim C

Postby shak » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:39 pm

Jim C wrote:Yep pretty fun 12 holer. wanted to thank Mr Joe Urias, all the hole sponsors and our outstanding park department for making this course a reality.

Thanks for thanking the appropriate people Jim. I wasn't entirely clear on who was responsible for it so I didn't want to thank people without knowing for sure.
I agree on your assessment of the course too, holes 4, 6, and 7 especially use the terrain and trees well and are kind of tricky despite their short distance. I'll probably split my time between Woodland and Maytag pretty evenly from now on.
Nice picture on the front page of the Newton Daily News too Jim: http://www.newtondailynews.com/2012/07/19/new-disc-golf-course-open-for-business/aiy6qb6/
shak

Postby grodney » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:13 pm

GDL17921 wrote:
Carter45145 wrote:
grodney wrote:Just looking at the distance and the photos, it looks like a bit of a tweener distance for a wide range of players, i.e. 4 might be a very common score. Better players (longer throwers) will get a 3 sometimes. Worse players will struggle to make 4.

Anyway, calling it a par 4 is probably more helpful; but if you want to keep rockin it old school, it's all good.
Par is irrelevant. Every hole could be a par two and it would make no difference in the total amount of strokes that it takes you to complete the hole!

This is one of the only things I hate about disc golf. And it is exactly why I don't like asking people how they shot at a tournament. Most people answer with "I was 2 under or 4 over" ect., instead of saying how many strokes it took them to complete the course. (Stepping off my soap box)

I agree Carter, par is whatever you want it to be, or whatever makes you feel better. Bottom line is, lowest score at the end of the round wins.

Holy smokes, I'd never thought of that -- lowest score wins. Thanks guys!!!!!
grodney

Postby irban » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:25 am

That's likely what I've been doing wrong all these years.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Cydisc » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:05 am

irban wrote:That's likely what I've been doing wrong all these years.

I've been Stableford scoring all this time..
Cydisc

Postby 10up » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:18 pm

stick to skins kenton, it's your game
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby SARG27044 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:54 am

Fun little course. Hole 1 is kind of out of the way from the parking lot. And throwing right over a teepad on a hole may cause some problems, but I did enjoy playing and Ill be back.
SARG27044

Postby shak » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:53 am

SARG27044 wrote:Fun little course. Hole 1 is kind of out of the way from the parking lot. And throwing right over a teepad on a hole may cause some problems, but I did enjoy playing and Ill be back.

I think there are plans in place to make a parking lot just to the West of hole 1. For anyone going there to play now the best place to park is right off the road on the first base side of the Little League field on the SW side of the park. From there you walk around the outfield fence and up the hill to the teepad for hole 1.
shak

Postby bman12449 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:33 pm

SARG27044 wrote:Fun little course. Hole 1 is kind of out of the way from the parking lot. And throwing right over a teepad on a hole may cause some problems, but I did enjoy playing and Ill be back.

Loved the course. i found some nice lefty routes were available on almost every hole. I really wish it was 18 holes though. Any plans to squeeze 6 more in?

Played maytag 2nd round looked awesome till i seen all the trees on 7 were gone. From what i heard a storm did it?
I have inside jokes with strangers.
Most interesting man in the world.
bman12449

Postby shak » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:09 pm

bman12449 wrote:Loved the course. i found some nice lefty routes were available on almost every hole. I really wish it was 18 holes though. Any plans to squeeze 6 more in?
Played maytag 2nd round looked awesome till i seen all the trees on 7 were gone. From what i heard a storm did it?

I'm pretty sure it will just be a 12 hole course. They can't use the land near the baseball fields and it's pretty packed in to the usable space as it is now.

As far as the trees being gone a bunch of trees at Maytag and Woodland got some sort of tree disease last year and were dying so they had to remove a bunch of them in both parks. When they took the trees down at Maytag the alternate basket location on 7 got ruined so it now joins 3 and 12 as the holes with only one basket location.

I'm a lefty also and agree about there being plenty of lefty routes at the new course.
shak

Postby 1semenking » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:57 am

Went and played it last night, had fun! Great elevation and tree use in fareways. Concerned about killing people on ten's tee while driving hole 5. Also worried about getting hit by a drive while teeing off of hole 5. I also thought there was plenty of room to avoid these issues. Flow was good but thought the use of space could have been better. Could easily fit 18 holes in there. Sorry....just being critical. Thats what I do!!! And I don't know what was allowed by the P&R.

I will gladly go back and play this course when I am in Newton. Thank you to all involved in getting this done. I loved holes 4 and 11. I also thought that hole 7 was great. Again, thank you for giving us another place to go play!!!!!!!

Tim
1semenking

Postby 1semenking » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:14 pm

Think I will keep this thread DEAD by posting about my ace on hole 1 here Sunday. Panther round the outside SMASH. Got paid too!!!! Thanks Faas!!
1semenking

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:17 pm

ahem....you can't accept 51 club money if you don't pay it. :roll:
GDL17921

Postby 1semenking » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:20 pm

GDL17921 wrote:ahem....you can't accept 51 club money if you don't pay it. :roll:

I will pay it forward at FBI sir. Thanks for the reminder!!! No, really!
1semenking

PreviousNext

Return to Stuff