Any phone experts?

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Postby gretagun » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:23 pm

I'll check that out. Thanks Detra!
"Got to sinking in the place where I once stood.
Now I ain't living like I should"
gretagun

Postby 10up » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:06 am

The biggest thing is finding someone, whether it be you or someone else, that has unlimited text and voice as their plan.

Then, I'd have him go set up a google voice account

google.com/voice

that will be attached to a current or new gmail account he creates. Just go through the step by step setup process and at some point it will ask you to choose a phone number, and attach that number to an existing number for verification. That number will be the one with unlimited plan. Google will call the existing phone and give you a code to type in to finalize creation of the new number.

Download google voice to the rooted phone, and also download Groove IP Lite, (or pay the 3.99 or whatever for the full version, I did). Those two apps will now serve as the new Telephone app (GrooveIP) and Messaging App (Google Voice).

There are a couple settings you have to change online too. In the upper right hand corner of the main google voice sign in page there is a little gear that brings up the settings menu. Make sure the checkbox for "forward calls to" is set to "google chat" and NOT the number of the unlimited phone that this account is attached to.

After that's all done make a few test calls between the two. The phone that the new account is attached to will never be able to call the google voice number, but the google voice number CAN call the unlimited number to which it's attached. The unlimited number CAN text the google voice number though.

Groove IP also has some settings that can be changed on the phone. Dependent upon the phone you may need to tinker with those options a bit to minimize delay (inevitable to a point) and maybe make the sound better. Beyond that, once it's setup it's good to go.
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:29 am

Man, Ernie really needs to read this thread. :lol:
GDL17921

Postby gretagun » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:15 pm

Dan, thank you for taking the time to explain all this. This is exactly what I was looking for. I got Groove IP installed last night then called it a night. I think the missing link is logging into GV and setting the call forward to chat. I will give this a shot when I get off work.
"Got to sinking in the place where I once stood.
Now I ain't living like I should"
gretagun

Postby 10up » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:39 pm

right on, you can hit me up on the facebook if you have any questions.
10up

Postby 10up » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:14 pm

Another thing to think about is getting a cheap plan for fall back when there isn't any wifi.

I use page plus cellular. They have a $12 "plan" that gives you 250min and 250msg plus a marginal amount of data. It lasts for 90 days.

Groove IP and Google Voice have setting that will give them priority when the phone is connected to wifi. I am rarely without wifi, plus I pay attention to not send useless messages when it isn't available.

I don't really use more than 150 texts and 150 minutes every time I have to renew.

I use page plus because their network is back-boned on Verizon's LTE service. So it's essentially the best (read:fastest) cell package available for a fifth of the price at least
10up

Previous

Return to Stuff