Any phone experts?

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Any phone experts?

Postby grodney » Mon May 28, 2012 7:50 pm

Last Friday (3 days ago) I switched from Vonage to Time-Warner Digital Phone. Kept the same number. I haven't called Vonage or anything. Don't know if I'm supposed to. (They didn't tell me to do anything.) I don't have any of their equipment hooked up. But really, it shouldn't matter, right? Right? Worst case, they're billing me until I call them and cancel. Right?

Tonight at 6:45pm, the phone rings. We don't answer. A few minutes later, into my e-mail comes a voicemail from VONAGE!! Full recording and transcription, just like when they were providing my phone service.

So either,
1) T-W is lying and they are not providing my service, or
2) T-W *is* providing my service, but somehow unanswered calls are going to my Vonage voicemail. (This one is worse, right?!)

Intrigued, I called T-W Support. They assure me they are indeed providing my service, and sound like they think I'm crazy. So they call my phone to see what happens if I don't answer. After about an hour of calling and jacking around, they tell me they're still working on it, and they think they have determined that if a caller has T-W, their call goes to my T-W voicemail. But if a caller has some other phone service, it goes to my Vonage voicemail. What?!?

After another 30-45 minutes, they decide to send out a technician tomorrow "to make sure all the wires are hooked up right". What?!

Maybe this isn't a big deal, but it seems crazy to me. T-W is providing my phone service, but a 3rd party can receive, record, and transcribe my unanswered incoming calls.

Thoughts?
grodney

Re: Any phone experts?

Postby Discgo » Tue May 29, 2012 9:01 am

grodney wrote:Thoughts?

That sucks
Chain-outs since last ace - 1
Discgo

Postby anubis080 » Tue May 29, 2012 10:08 am

With cell phones at least, since I have been doing it for a couple years now, there is the "porting" procedure. It can take 3+ days for everything to switch over between providers.

An example of what I have seen is, "My phone calls work fine, but my texts still go to my old provider phone."

So, hopefully it should resolve itself with T-W, otherwise, sounds like you are on the ball to getting it fixed up quickly. It's probably a call forwarding misroute, lamens: wrong VM deposit # programmed.
"he always flips his nuke ss's over forehand"-Rich
"those are regular z nukes, Rich..."-Andy
anubis080

Postby 10up » Tue May 29, 2012 10:35 am

headline needs to be changed. You're looking for a "landline" expert, phones are little computers now.
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby grodney » Tue May 29, 2012 11:40 am

Ha ha, Dan, you're right. The comedy part: The only reason we're keeping a landline is because my (AT&T) coverage sucks so bad at my house.

Anubis I hope you're right -- although it's a little scary they're sending out a technician today.

The whole thing is a First World Problem, but still weird.
grodney

Postby 10up » Tue May 29, 2012 12:44 pm

assuming you have "unlimited" voice and/or text service with AT&T why don't you just register a google voice number attached to your already existing cell service and just like... leave a computer on somewhere. $20 headset with a microphone and it's a better calling/messaging/voicemail system than anything you are paying money for.
10up

Postby Detra319 » Tue May 29, 2012 1:17 pm

i used to work for the phone company, so here goes. What is happening is that your number was ported right away (3 days is technically possible but also technically illegal under telecommunications act of 2002). Ports should happen in under an hour MAX.

Onto your voicemail. Whats really happening is that vonage uses a different method to deliver your voicemails to you compared to a traditional phone company. Basically the calls that are supposed to be routed through to your physical phoneline dont, instead they go to a generic port (wrong word but cant remember the name atm) which processes the data directly into your vonage voicemail, which is stored on vonage's servers on the inet. So basically what is happening is that they have priority on your voicemail calls until they shut it off because they use a more modern system than T-W. T-W gets calls through from their network into your actual voicemail box because their calls get priority inside of their network.

Wanna know the best part....you can sum all that up by saying call vonage and cancel and then your T-W voicemail will work. And you wont get a bill from vonage, so double bonus.

Anyways, my dunce cap is off for the day.
The finial... Even with no clouds!
Detra319

Postby grodney » Tue May 29, 2012 1:21 pm

Google Voice! Holy crap, I'm so stupid.

I already have a Google Voice account. I currently only use Voice for texting (because I don't have a text plan), but I can use that to make calls from my PC to any phone, can't I? If that's right, I can drop my T-W phone and just use Voice as my home phone.

I don't need cell service or home-phone service to make PC-to-phone calls with Google Voice, do I?

Boy, this thread took an unexpected turn.

Edit: Thanks Detra, that sorta makes sense!
grodney

Postby ghstinshll » Tue May 29, 2012 2:34 pm

Without explaining the VoIP situation & routing, etc, you should be ready to cancel your Vonage... :wink:
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby 10up » Tue May 29, 2012 4:18 pm

no you don't. I actually use google voice for everything. I don't even have cell phone service anymore. Just use wifi over a rooted android with a few different applications to substitute for the regular phone.apk and messaging service.

Free phone pretty much everywhere I go in Denver, unless I'm out in the mountains somewhere. Then I'll get back to you.

But seriously, just put $35 into a crappy computer off craigslist if you don't already have one sitting around. Getting the calls to work can be a bit tricky at first but once you get it going it works for good. Holla if you need a hand there rod.
10up

Postby grodney » Tue May 29, 2012 4:24 pm

Thanks Dan, I appreciate it. My wife has rained on my parade -- our home security system taps into our landline. Crap. To switch me over to a cell-based security system, they want $300 and a higher monthly charge. Now I gotta ponder that.
grodney

Postby 10up » Tue May 29, 2012 4:39 pm

No problem. I hobby around with android and google beta services a lot. It pisses me off the "services" some companies are allowed to charge money for. Exorbitant amounts of money too, with no money towards R&D or infrastructure enhancement... anything. Don't give them money if you are smart enough to figure out the ways not to.

I also love linux though, so fair warning.

and honestly, maybe it fills whatever need you have it for, but the only thing home security systems are good for is letting you know you were robbed. If you want home security I'd go with .380 ACP.
10up

Postby gretagun » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:20 pm

10up wrote:no you don't. I actually use google voice for everything. I don't even have cell phone service anymore. Just use wifi over a rooted android with a few different applications to substitute for the regular phone.apk and messaging service.

Free phone pretty much everywhere I go in Denver, unless I'm out in the mountains somewhere. Then I'll get back to you.

But seriously, just put $35 into a crappy computer off craigslist if you don't already have one sitting around. Getting the calls to work can be a bit tricky at first but once you get it going it works for good. Holla if you need a hand there rod.

Dan, do you have any specific info or links on how to get this working? My brother moved in, has no money, and needs a phone for job hunting. I have an old rooted HTC phone (no service) laying around that he could use over my wifi network. All the guides I have found are phones with service aimed at saving people from using their plan minutes. Thanks!
"Got to sinking in the place where I once stood.
Now I ain't living like I should"
gretagun

Postby Cydisc » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:10 pm

grodney wrote:Thanks Dan, I appreciate it. My wife has rained on my parade -- our home security system taps into our landline. Crap. To switch me over to a cell-based security system, they want $300 and a higher monthly charge. Now I gotta ponder that.

How much for a conspicuous sticker in the window?
Cydisc

Postby Detra319 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:51 pm

gretagun wrote:
10up wrote:no you don't. I actually use google voice for everything. I don't even have cell phone service anymore. Just use wifi over a rooted android with a few different applications to substitute for the regular phone.apk and messaging service.

Dan, do you have any specific info or links on how to get this working? My brother moved in, has no money, and needs a phone for job hunting. I have an old rooted HTC phone (no service) laying around that he could use over my wifi network. All the guides I have found are phones with service aimed at saving people from using their plan minutes. Thanks!

Download the magic jack app. It gives you a phone number and everything super easy to use. My ipad is the babysitter phone when we leave as a backup backup.
The finial... Even with no clouds!
Detra319

Next

Return to Stuff