Charlotte courses - what to play

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Charlotte courses - what to play

Postby crazykrug » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:40 pm

The family and I are heading down to Charlotte in a couple months and I will be able to play a course or two.

What courses are a must play or if you can only play 1 which one would it be?

I know Clue and Gardner should be able to help me out but not sure who else has been down there.
Member of 2010, 2012, 2013 Bushwhacker State Champions
crazykrug

Postby Captain » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:32 pm

In order:

Renny Gold
Web (@ Hornet's Nest)
Hornet's Nest
Renny Original
Captain

Postby grodney » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:30 am

A lot will depend on your location and willingness to travel, as they are all pretty spread out.

Renny is easily the cream of the crop. The "Gold" and "Orig" layouts used to diverge a little, but now they follow the same routing. There are some holes with two tees, some with two pins, and some with both two tees and two pins. In short, the longest-to-longest is the Gold, and the shortest-to-shortest is the Orig. You might as well play the Gold -- you can see all the Orig shots along the way. Most importantly on Renny: Get a map. It flows fairly well, but a map is almost a must for first-timers.

Everybody loves Hornet's Nest -- except me. Again, there are sorta two layouts here. I think they diverge a little bit, but mostly follow the same routing. The longer route is called the Web, as Captain pointed out.

Those are the old-school "Big 2", although in my opinion Renny is WAY better.

The other 2 old-school courses are Reedy Creek and Kilborne. Both are fine. Wooded, with fairways that are wide enough to not be all that taxing. Nothing special about these courses, but nothing wrong with them. I prefer Reedy over Kilborne. Oh, they have added a bunch of pins and longer pads to Kilborne to make a longer layout there. I have no experience on that. I like Reedy better of these 2, but there's really no reason to play these unless you are right by them. (There is also an older flat par-54 course in the hood called Sugaw. In my opinion, it is not worth your time to play there.)
grodney

Postby grodney » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:35 am

Okay, so after those 4 (or 5) old courses, you have 3 that are about 3 years old: Nevin and Elon (2 courses at Elon).

Elon has 2 distinct 18-hole courses. The Short course has both long and short tee pads. Even the long tee pads are all pretty short holes. Fine little course, but nothing special. I play the short-course short-tees with my novice friends, and it's fun just taking a bunch of ace runs with putters and Rocs. But again, nothing you'd take time to do if you're just visiting briefly.

Elon Long and Nevin are pretty similar. Both are wooded and around par 66. Nevin is longer, tighter, hillier -- in general more turbo. Nevin generally gets better reviews, but it's certainly more arduous to play. Both of them get a little monotonous throwing one wooded tunnel after the next. Of course, this applies to most N.C. courses!

By the way, Nevin is right near Hornet's.
Last edited by grodney on Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
grodney

Postby grodney » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:38 am

Finally, of the new courses, I like R.L.Smith and Winget, and I don't like Eastway and Scrapyard(at Idlewild).

R.L. Smith is wooded tunnels. Longer on the front, shorter on the back. Some fun shots. Lots of elevation for Charlotte.

Winget is much much shorter. Cool land. Some elevation. Fun shots. A much more "fun" experience.

Eastway has some cool holes to start, but then has about 10 holes in a row that are open at 380-420. Yawn. I guess there are some longer tees that make a couple of those into par 4's, but still.

Idlewild is a bunch of wooded tunnels. Problem is, they are REALLY tight, and there isn't a lot of length variation.

(Oh, there is also Bailey and Bradford up on the way way north side that will be used for Worlds, but I haven't played either one.)
grodney

Postby grodney » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:42 am

Finally finally, there is Winthrop in Rock Hill, which is less than 10 miles down the interstate from the south side of Charlotte. (13 miles of interstate from Renny.)

The "Lake" course is a bunch of par 3's that play around a small lake. Fun and mostly open. Much less like N.C. golf. No wooded tunnels. Really no reason to play this.

The "Gold" course is the famous USDGC course. The OB ropes obviously aren't there, but the tees and baskets are all there. You can still get a pretty good feel for the USDGC course. Play this if you're really into the USDGC and want to see what the course is like. It's not FANTASTIC, but it's pretty cool.

Oh, if you go to Winthrop, get a map!!! It's worse than not marked -- it's marked poorly and incorrectly. I kid you not.
Last edited by grodney on Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
grodney

Postby grodney » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:47 am

So in Summary, ignoring location, my personal recommendations:
Renny
Nevin (or Elon Long)
R.L. Smith
Winget

Throw in Hornet's if you want to see the other old-school favorite. Throw in Winthrop if you're really really into it.

Edit: **You know, after I think about it, I'd probably recommend RLSmith before Nevin or Elon. It's just cooler and more fun. Renny and RLSmith are relatively nearby each other, so that's nice.
grodney

Postby crazykrug » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:53 am

Thanks Stibal and Gardner.

We have family in Huntersville (I think that is the city, I know it is outside Charlotte)

I had all those courses listed but didn't think of the USDGC one, that might be the one I end up playing.
Member of 2010, 2012, 2013 Bushwhacker State Champions
crazykrug

Postby grodney » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:51 pm

Bailey and Bradford (the two I haven't played) are up by Huntersville. Bailey is shorter -- almost beginner-friendly, but I hear it's fun. Bradford must pretty good, at least from the longs, as they are using it for MPO at Worlds.

If you really only play 1 course in town, Rennaisance is the way to go.
grodney

Return to Stuff