Grandview Course

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Grandview Course

Postby TTrammel » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:11 am

:shock: Park's and rec lady was taking survey's about problem's and remodeling holes 7,8,9 apparently there's been complaint's from people almost getting hit by Disc's (There goes another course).
Although it does sound like the city may finally see the need to address the Disc Golf community with updated course's or maybe even new one's , according to the Park's and Rec chick that was there last night.
Go DSM make use new and better course's Please we need like four more course's in the Metro or close to the Metro :D
I speak my mind cause I can ! And no one can do anything about it !
TTrammel

Postby SARG27044 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:26 am

You find the land the city will allow us to use and it will happen.They've given us options and then take those options away a few months later. Grandview has always been a park first, dg course second. Holes like hole 6 with the baseball diamond have always been a sensitive area. Ill usually skip, or play the short if there are kids there. And the new chick at P&R hates all things disc golf...Maybe they will let us move some holes into the woods, where absolutely nothing legal, other than the occasional mushroom hunter (for only a few weeks a year) goes on.
SARG27044

Postby SpikeHyzer » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:29 am

In regard to people almost getting hit, it's usually because the park goers aren't paying attention and take off running out of the shelter towards the playground while people are throwing. Most dg'ers I have seen out there, that aren't helmets, are usually very conscientious about other people in and around the shelter.

As for a redesign of 7/8/9, I would say that to eliminate the worry of people almost getting hit, it is really only 7 and 8. Possible solution would be to eliminate those two holes, and go from 6 directly to 9. You might be able to squeeze in a hole or two between 10 and 11(If you could use some of that land around the driveway area back behind old hole 9 teepad).[/i]
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.
SpikeHyzer

Postby TTrammel » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:31 am

:D yeah Sarg me and Jay were thinking that also there is alot of wood's that could get used around 6,7,8 whichever happen's I just want to see the course's stay or maybe we get new one's just for Disc Golfers????
I know that's askin for alot..................but a guy can HOPE
TTrammel

Postby TTrammel » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:34 am

[quote="SpikeHyzer"]In regard to people almost getting hit, it's usually because the park goers aren't paying attention and take off running out of the shelter towards the playground while people are throwing. Most dg'ers I have seen out there, that aren't helmets, are usually very conscientious about other people in and around the shelter.

As for a redesign of 7/8/9, I would say that to eliminate the worry of people almost getting hit, it is really only 7 and 8. Possible solution would be to eliminate those two holes, and go from 6 directly to 9. You might be able to squeeze in a hole or two between 10 and 11(If you could use some of that land around the driveway area back behind old hole 9 teepad).[/i][/

I agree , and we were all Helmet's once (Hate that F^ckin word HELMET's) everyone has to start somewhere.
TTrammel

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:53 am

THought of this afterwards....I wonder if the parks and rec department has considered the option of some well placed warning signs in and around the shelter to help inform people about the danger.

That being said, it might be a fun project to design two holes in the woods (if they would let us) that would connect 6 to 9. I think the problem area is 7 and 8 as well (not so much hole 9), as there is always traffic between the shelter and the playground area that people can easily not be aware of and throw into.
GDL17921

Postby SARG27044 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:58 am

There is so much land available around here that its amazing we are not allowed to use some of it. Most of these "parks" dont even get used. Just the parking lots, for dealers, and condom disposal.
SARG27044

Postby TTrammel » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:04 pm

SARG27044 wrote:There is so much land available around here that its amazing we are not allowed to use some of it. Most of these "parks" dont even get used. Just the parking lots, for dealers, and condom disposal.

LMFAO You tell'em Sarg , or they get used by the cop's to sit around and do nothing act like there watchin people!
TTrammel

Postby Cydisc » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:22 pm

GDL17921 wrote:THought of this afterwards....I wonder if the parks and rec department has considered the option of some well placed warning signs in and around the shelter to help inform people about the danger.

That being said, it might be a fun project to design two holes in the woods (if they would let us) that would connect 6 to 9. I think the problem area is 7 and 8 as well (not so much hole 9), as there is always traffic between the shelter and the playground area that people can easily not be aware of and throw into.

Warning signs generally don't work and won't prevent discs from entering the shelter from #8 tee anyway. Plus, putting up a sign is another way of saying, "we know there's a problem here, but we aren't doing anything about it."

Re-design is really the best solution here. I'd waste 6-8 as they are now and do something that gets #6 tee closer to #5 basket. Perhaps throw #6 from the road down into the trees, then 7 and 8 run through the woods or the edge of the woods to connect up with 9.
Cydisc

Postby Clue » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:26 pm

I don't know the lady you guys are referring to. I've heard rumblings about her. I spoke to somebody else about the problem. He wanted to hand out and post flyers addressing the issue. I explained to him that it might satisfy the problem for a week or two, but that it's not a solution. We were supposed to explore some long term solutions then he stopped corresponding.

I don't want to get into the minutia of what should or could be done. There are several solutions. Mostly it comes down to funding. If we had $50,000 I'm sure we could put another course or two in the ground. We don't. City of Des Moines isn't going to spend the money. So it's going to be a slow process.

If you have any ideas or concerns, please feel free to contact any of the club officers. We'd be happy to address them.
Clue

Postby blkwizardsonny » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:42 pm

whats the story with margo they wont let us back there or ? never saw it but looks like great terrain and hardly any traffic besides bad people not gonna ever happpen ? just wandering we could put up a two holer in my backyard
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny

Postby Single L » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:48 pm

Like Clue has stated not sure who the individual at the park was but the Club has know about the issue for awhile and is in the process of working with the City to find a solution (remember Shane had us submit proposed wants and needs for all city courses; this was the top need). A new course is for a different thread, and as nice a a redesign would be the city has been reluctant in the past to let us you the woods at GV; not sure if their tune has changed or not.

The simplest and easiest solution, IMO, is to plant a row of hedges on both sides of the shelter to define the course and keeps shelter users in front of the shelter rather than spewing out the sides onto the course; which really is undesirable for any shelter use to begin with do to the contours of the land on either side. This minimalist solution should keep the majority of DG and shelter users in their respective areas to alleviate the issues.

"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby blkwizardsonny » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:50 pm

is that moores blazer sssssssssssss
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:01 pm

Actually, the discussion should stay right (GV redesign and new courses)here because the survey asked briefly about the GV redesign, but more about the possibilities of a new course in the area - which kind of surprised me.

To the best of my memory, the survey asked us this.

How often do you play disc golf?
Of the 3 DSM courses (Ewing, Crivaro, GV) which do you prefer?
Which of those 3 do you play the most often?
What problems do you see with disc golf in DSM parks?
What would you like to see the DSM P&R do to make DSM disc golf better?
Do you think DSM needs more disc golf courses?
Where would you like to see another DSM course (multiple choices were by location, not park...i.e. east, south, north, west)
Would you support a redesign of holes 8 & 9 at GV?
Would you prefer two 9 hole courses or one 18 hole course?
Would you like to see more disc golf leagues and other activities?

If anybody else took this and remembers anything I missed, feel free to quote and fill in what I left out.
GDL17921

Postby Like_Water » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:02 pm

I've been saying it for years (many have too), that course could use a complete redesign. Every hole has erosion, every tee pad is slanted and those woods are asking for disc golf holes. 6, 7, & 8 need to go as well.

I don't have the answers, contacts or know how to get anything done, but a united front stepping forward with a plan might do some good.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Next

Return to Stuff