Computer Question

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Postby SARG27044 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:15 am

Bought a Toshiba satellite p775; 17.3 inch laptop just after xmas....after all said and done with the best buy accidental warranty, spent just over a grand....month and a half later it wont turn on....f.o. :lol: :roll:
SARG27044
 
Posts: 6708
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: D.M.

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:23 am

try plugging it in? :lol:
User avatar
GDL17921
 
Posts: 8537
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:57 am
Location: on a rock

Postby SARG27044 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:35 am

Dont you have a team tournament to plan?
SARG27044
 
Posts: 6708
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: D.M.

Postby irban » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:41 am

SARG27044 wrote:Bought a Toshiba satellite p775; 17.3 inch laptop just after xmas....after all said and done with the best buy accidental warranty, spent just over a grand....month and a half later it wont turn on....f.o. :lol: :roll:

Call Best Buy, they can send the nerd squad or whatever.
~~~- ¥
User avatar
irban
 
Posts: 5203
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:31 am
Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby irban » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:43 am

Hey, sometimes it works to press and hold the power button for maybe 60 seconds. Some PCs have a reset on the CMOS that is activated by doing that.
~~~- ¥
User avatar
irban
 
Posts: 5203
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:31 am
Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Nohr » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:41 pm

irban wrote:Hey, sometimes it works to press and hold the power button for maybe 60 seconds. Some PCs have a reset on the CMOS that is activated by doing that.


When I was having issues with my macbook they had me do that. They also had me remove the battery and do the same thing.
Nohr
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:12 pm
Location: Cedar Rapids

Postby irban » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:59 pm

Or maybe there is short in the battery, which also may be resolved by taking out the battery and putting it back in. If that fixes it though, I would still have the goober squad look at it.
~~~- ¥
User avatar
irban
 
Posts: 5203
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:31 am
Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby SARG27044 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:25 am

Yeah I did all those things before I took it in. Got it a little after xmas, had it for a month and a half, and now it needs to be sent in and I wont see it for a month. Pretty sure the mother board got fried. How a computer over heats when its off, in the case is beyond me. Guess the Toshibas have a history of sub par fans not being able to cool it unless you go buy a seperate cooling device :roll:
SARG27044
 
Posts: 6708
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: D.M.

Postby Buzzz Killington » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:57 am

I just went through the same shit. Expect mine is a PC I built 5 years ago. The exhaust fan went out, then so did my motherboard, processor and video card. All the expensive shnizz. You can tell whats wrong with yo shitz by the morse code it beeps out when you try to start it up...if that doesn't happen, you've got other problems i.e. no power.
User avatar
Buzzz Killington
 
Posts: 357
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:31 pm
Location: 30' out.

Postby SARG27044 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:14 am

It was just odd how it happened. Came home Friday night, checked on here to see if anything was going down Saturday morning...Used it for no more than 10 minutes, shut it down, and put it in the backpack. Sunday night I pulled it out, and hit the power button. It lit up for a few seconds then shut down. Im like, must have drained the battery somehow, so I plugged it in, turned it on...The power button stayed lit(none of the other buttons were lit), but the screen stayed black. Half the time it would just shut down, the other half it would stay lit up but the screen just stayed black. So now Im back to using this 7 yr old gateway, with a crapped out hard drive, but atleast this P.O.S. will work, unlike the 1000 dollar brand new one I just bought :lol: :roll:
SARG27044
 
Posts: 6708
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: D.M.

Postby irban » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:18 am

SARG27044 wrote:It was just odd how it happened. Came home Friday night, checked on here to see if anything was going down Saturday morning...Used it for no more than 10 minutes, shut it down, and put it in the backpack. Sunday night I pulled it out, and hit the power button. It lit up for a few seconds then shut down. Im like, must have drained the battery somehow, so I plugged it in, turned it on...The power button stayed lit(none of the other buttons were lit), but the screen stayed black. Half the time it would just shut down, the other half it would stay lit up but the screen just stayed black. So now Im back to using this 7 yr old gateway, with a crapped out hard drive, but atleast this P.O.S. will work, unlike the 1000 dollar brand new one I just bought :lol: :roll:

I wonder if you didn't get it going by accident, instead of shutting down? When we got laptops at work last year, I was popping mine off of the docking station, but accidently hit the start button first. I dropped it in my case and left. I got home and went to log on and the bitch was hotter than hell. Apparently it doesn't go to sleep during the startup sequence maybe? Lucky I took it out right away I guess.
~~~- ¥
User avatar
irban
 
Posts: 5203
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:31 am
Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby SARG27044 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:24 am

Might have hit the restart instead of the power off I guess. The screen went black, and thats when I put it away. I guess it could have been my bad. Oh well. Thank jebus for manufacturer and accidental warranties. Sux I wont see it for atleast a month tho :cry: Atleast it didnt happen a year or two down the line when the warranties had expired, and that I dont have any important info on there I needed to backup, cuz BB's fees for backing up files are stupid.
SARG27044
 
Posts: 6708
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: D.M.

Postby irban » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:25 pm

"Studies show 100% of laptops that start smoking, die."
~~~- ¥
User avatar
irban
 
Posts: 5203
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:31 am
Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Detra319 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:33 pm

We lemoned our toshiba. screen stopped working and we sent it in 3 different times. do yourself a favor and exchange it after the second time you mail it in....



i even warned you earlier in this thread about toshiba's :P
The finial... Even with no clouds!
Detra319
 
Posts: 1220
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:51 am

Postby Nohr » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:23 pm

Just got off the phone trying to help my dad.

Something got all jacked up on his windows xp pc. Windows can't boot b/c of missing or corrupt vgaoem.fon. All the searches I did pretty much said use windows cd to repair the file. I had him burn an iso of the repair consol but he can't boot into it b/c of the orginal vgaoem.fon file. I am having him download knoppix and we are going to try and go from there. Any one have any suggestions?
Nohr
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:12 pm
Location: Cedar Rapids

PreviousNext

Return to Stuff

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests