recommended minneapolis area courses

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

recommended minneapolis area courses

Postby Abe Froman » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:47 pm

Soooo, just got notified I have to head back up to minny for work on sunday evening thru all next week. Need some suggestions on where to go for a good round. Would like to hit kaposia as I have heard great things about it. But I have NEVER been able to shoot any courses up there yet.

Also going to try and stop @ forest city to tame the bridge if I can(time pending) but we'll see about that.

Suggestions needed. Ill be in north minneapolis but pending time I can go wherever.

Hit me with the goods...
Abe Froman

Postby GDL17921 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:54 pm

blue ribbon pines, duh.
GDL17921

Re: recommended minneapolis area courses

Postby Detra319 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:54 pm

Abe Froman wrote:Soooo, just got notified I have to head back up to minny for work on sunday evening thru all next week. Need some suggestions on where to go for a good round. Would like to hit kaposia as I have heard great things about it. But I have NEVER been able to shoot any courses up there yet.

Also going to try and stop @ forest city to tame the bridge if I can(time pending) but we'll see about that.

Suggestions needed. Ill be in north minneapolis but pending time I can go wherever.

Hit me with the goods...

For beauty, Hyland Hills SSA was amazing. The most taken care of course I have ever seen outside of wildcat. Shakopee was fun, but thats on the south side of town. Hmm...its been so long :P
Detra319

Postby medicinal funk » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:01 pm

all courses in minnesota rated between 3.5 and 5 out of 5 possible points

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/browse.ph ... coursetype[]=1&coursetype[]=2&holes=0&holetype=0&teetype=0&num_reviews=&rating_min=3.5&rating_max=5.0&yem=&yex=&cndtn=&terrain[]=1&terrain[]=2&terrain[]=3&landscape[]=1&landscape[]=2&landscape[]=3&mtees=&mpins=&private=1&paytoplay=1&country=1&city=&state=28&zipcode=&zip_distance=

lotta mach baskets up there it looks like
Titan Disc Golf

-

don't feed the frucks
medicinal funk

Postby Brady » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:31 pm

If you want a good challenge then hit kaposia and/or north valley. They are about 10 miles apart and both great courses. Kaposia is 24 holes, north valley 18 holes.

If you want to see what 75000 dollars worth of landscaping looks like then check out bryant lake. Its easier than the two mentioned above but has some super fun shots!

Blue ribbon pines is about 20-30 minute drive north of mpls but if you have the time its worth it as its got some unique shots and impeccable upkeep as well. Its also 27 holes.

If you are looking to play a "fun" course that's close to mpls then hit up Acorn park. its one of the oldest if not the oldest course in the metro but super fun to play just for a casual round.

hyland was already mentioned. its a typical ski hill course. lots of elevation and energy!

Of all the courses i've mentioned only Acorn is free. The rest are pay to play.
Brady

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:26 pm

You have to pay to play Kaposia, North Valley and Bryant lake?
frogawitdafizzle

Postby Abe Froman » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:30 pm

Thanks for the suggestions fellas, keep em coming!

Looking for overall course quality, good mix of open/ wood shots. I enjoy the long courses as I like to hurl some big bombs but will take overall course quality and "safe neighborhoods" for a skinny white dude from iowa to be in solo. Not sure what times I will get to be on the course(could be evening)but pay to play doesn't deter my choices.

Much thanks fellas
Abe Froman

Postby The Donator » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:35 pm

BRP, Hyland, North Valley, Kaposia, in that order.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby Dale Jordal » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:50 pm

If you stop in Forest City.... you may have to bypass poles 16,19 thru 21. It has been extremely wet had the park has only been able to mow in the woods once so far. It rained this morning but hopefully they made it in this afternoon.

A new issue just surfaced in the last couple weeks and I do not know how to deal with yet. Since they cleared the woods not only did we loose all our young trees that defined our fairways as well as typically added a stroke should you find your way off the fairway.

This year I see without the young trees in the way the growth on the ground has come up 10 fold ( a real jungle and problem to find discs ). In the past the growth on the ground itself was sparse and you could find your disc but could not throw out of it easy. Now it is a clear shot to the basket but you will have problems finding your disc.

Again I don't have a solution but I am going to the parkboard to see what option we have ( if they will mow more then just the designated fairways or use Roundup which I don't see that happening ).
FCDGC Home of the:
IA/MN Border Bash - (Iowa Tour Event)
Battle at the Bridge - (North Iowa Tour Event)
Forest City, Iowa
Dale Jordal

Postby Abe Froman » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:26 pm

anybody been to elm creek park reserve in maple grove? and f yes to BRP, that shit it on!

bryant lake park!!!!!!!!!!!!!looks like a pga course. AMAZING! i will totally hit that place up on my way into town sunday afternoon. WOW. just wow...
Abe Froman

Postby Grimm » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:18 am

Abe Froman wrote:anybody been to elm creek park reserve in maple grove? and f yes to BRP, that shit it on!

bryant lake park!!!!!!!!!!!!!looks like a pga course. AMAZING! i will totally hit that place up on my way into town sunday afternoon. WOW. just wow...

I was born in maple grove. Well I'm sure at the closest hosiptal I hope. Don't know the courses though. Random info.
Grimm

Postby Brady » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:51 am

Yes, Bryant lake has been pay to play for many years now and north valley and kaposia just went pay to play last year.

Elm creek is an alright course. Its pretty young so its fairly wide open now. If you like to throw bombs its good for that.

As far as saftey, I'd say that all the courses mentioned will be very safe.
Brady

Postby Abe Froman » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:58 pm

as far as the safe element i decided to stay away from st paul, just because i might be playing at dusk so dont really feel like being shot or robbed at gunpoint. see omaha and swope in kc for reference

if you had to pick would you suggest bryant lake or hssa? im leaning towards bryant just off pics on dgcoursereview.

totally gonna hit one of those on the way into town, and ill be stoppin @ elm creek sometime throughout the week on an evening for a quick bomber round. just with the time not sure if i can get to kaposia\n valley, even though i would love to go there. i had no idea how many courses were in the minny area.

timmy gill rules!
Abe Froman

Postby SARG27044 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:39 am

If its sunny and anywhere close to 90...Id advise against Hyland :lol: Not a lot of shade, crazy elevation=One tired mofo. Its a fun course tho. I think you would like BRP and Kaposia, both are real fun.
SARG27044

Postby cgkdisc » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:49 am

The newly upgraded Lakewood Hills in White Bear Lake (NE Twin Cities) is worth checking out. Now has 18 holes with cement tees. The four new holes are technical shots thru the woods with two older holes combined into a tough par 4. Blue level course par is 59.

Some brush is still being cleared and better signs are coming. So it might be worth it to check it out in July or later in summer when the upgrades are farther along. Apparently they got $30K approved for improvements there. Course is in the same league as Oakwood and The Valley and may pass them depending on how the money is used for amenities and landscaping.

Coming later this summer is an 18-hole course in Lakeville (southside) right off I-35 for easy access. It will be a Blue level par 60 - 40% in the open, 60% in the woods with lots of elevation.
cgkdisc

Next

Return to Stuff