BW wedgy, ace or not?

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

ace or not?

yes
81%
no
19%

Total votes : 37

BW wedgy, ace or not?

Postby Abe Froman » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:54 pm

so this came up in BW league tonight.

player (not me) threw hole 5 @ sugar. blind pin placement. nobody saw whether it came through the front or wedged from the inside. 80% of the disc is inside the basket and if we would've stood there for another 5 mins it would've worked itself into the cage. ace or not?

we declared ace as it was not definite if it came through the front or not. blind hole. and up until this year wedgies were pdga legal. BW is not pdga; but again, blind hole.

what say you?

im intrigued to see the discussion on this.

would like to hear from fellow BW's, sutliff and DSM as we all know BW's are a different animal when it comes to PDGA rulings as we throw from the creek, can flip your disc for a marker, no OB, etc...

Abe Froman

Postby puppetmaster » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:01 pm

looks like it came from the basket and tried to escape, but failed. Yep, ace
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
puppetmaster

Postby Potter » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:03 pm

I would say that hole 5 in the B placement that it was in tonight is not a blind shot. You can definitely see the basket from the teepad and behind, therefor according to the new pdga ruling it wouldn't count right? Very good question though, and that's just my opinion...sweet freakin shot though
Potter

Postby Abe Froman » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:07 pm

Potter wrote:I would say that hole 5 in the B placement that it was in tonight is not a blind shot. You can definitely see the basket from the teepad and behind, therefor according to the new pdga ruling it wouldn't count right? Very good question though, and that's just my opinion...sweet freakin shot though

those 2 lame trees were in the way and there was backup of a group and none of the 7 people could say that we saw it go in the front or from the inside? really iffy call but i think we made the right one. remember, we are not governed by the the PDGA rules. DIS' bushwhacker sonny!
Abe Froman

Postby jnecessary » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:12 pm

If it was in the front of the basket (facing the tee) it is obviously a wedgy from the front. There is no way in hell the disc bounced off any other part of the basket and wedged in from the front.

If it is in the back of the basket, it is also pretty obvious it entered through the top of the basket and IMO should count.

Sort of moot since that isn't really a blind shot.
jnecessary

Postby Abe Froman » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:15 pm

jnecessary wrote:Sort of moot since that isn't really a blind shot.

how did none of the 7 people on the pad deem it definite? and it couldve hit the pole and bounced back into wedge. ive seen that in my past lives..super soft old school SE bar stamp aviar

it wasnt completely blind, but enought to not determine whether it was from the front or backed in.

again, it wasnt me or my partner, so i did not benefit in any way on this call. actually we lost our team point because of it.

i guess it's up to d burns and the rules committee
Abe Froman

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:27 pm

I think I gave Utley that disc. So that's my ace. Pay me my money!

On a side note, I think I left my shoes somewhere at sugar after the round but before my swim, if anyone found a pair of merrels with a big m on the side let me know. Thanks!
Adding up scores after league... Greco-"Kerri, you shot 11 up" Kerri- "oh a 65 isn't bad" Greco-"that was the back nine"
3x state champ runner up

Postby Abe Froman » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:43 pm

Hand Fault wrote:
On a side note, I think I left my shoes somewhere at sugar after the round but before my swim, if anyone found a pair of merrels with a big m on the side let me know. Thanks!

Woody n beachy found em. Sold them for just enough to barely come out ahead ;)
Abe Froman

Postby Grimm » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:03 pm

BW does play by most PDGA rules. Although, I am not sure of the stance on this rule. I would say for wedge we play by the PDGA rule.

With the new wedge rule, nobody saw how it entered the basket. It doesn't matter if it obviously wedged from the outside by looking at it, the fact is nobody saw it wedge from the outside and that means the ACE is good. Whether we play the current PDGA rules or not makes no difference since nobody saw it wedge from the outside.

Maybe you should have used a spotter on that hole. :D
Grimm

Postby cgkdisc » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:15 pm

Would be an ace if the group didn't see it even if hole was visible and the group wasn't paying attention. Of course, maybe wedgie aces should be paid based on the percentage of disc inside the basket. If no one sees it, half in the basket earns half the ace pool?
cgkdisc

Postby Discgo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:33 pm

Stupid 51 club. Nobody ever sees aces. :D
Discgo

Postby Clue » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:47 pm

Depending on the angle I threw and what disc I would have a real good idea how it got in the basket. If I knew it came in from the outside of the cage then I would not take it, but I'd be hard pressed to convince someone what their disc did if I did not see it happen.

By rule you probably have to allow it. Only the thrower would really likely know how it went in.
Clue

Postby jnecessary » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:16 am

cgkdisc wrote:Would be an ace if the group didn't see it even if hole was visible and the group wasn't paying attention.

This makes the "wedgie rule" stupid. On a hole as short and straight forward as 5, the thrower would know if it was wedged from the front or not. Whatever, I'd want to make bank on it too.
jnecessary

Postby Abe Froman » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:24 am

We were paying attention, but the point where the disc flight became slightly behind the tree was the point of impact. We all stood there for a second wondering what to do so we ran up there, took a pic and deliberated before pulling the shot. Again, I did not benefit in any way but we wanted to make sure all was ruled fair for the entire league. If it was 80% out of the basket it would've been obv not an ace and we would call a 2. 3 out of 5 rules committee members said we made the right call. Still waiting to hear from doug and burnsy but majority rules. And the player who threw the shot also was not adamant on either call, very fair on his part as he left it up to the group to decide.
Abe Froman

Postby SARG27044 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:28 am

jnecessary wrote:
cgkdisc wrote:Would be an ace if the group didn't see it even if hole was visible and the group wasn't paying attention.

This makes the "wedgie rule" stupid. On a hole as short and straight forward as 5, the thrower would know if it was wedged from the front or not. Whatever, I'd want to make bank on it too.
But thats why you should always pay attention to people in your groups' shots. You are as guilty as the person throwing if you dont watch them. I dont really see any problem with the rule. If baskets were made better, this wouldnt even be an issue.
SARG27044

Next

Return to Stuff