Rules Questions

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Rules Questions

Postby GDL17921 » Tue May 31, 2011 8:42 am

Player A is searching for his disc. He finds what he thinks is his disc, and throws an upshot. When he picks it up, he realizes the disc that he played from isn't his disc and finds his disc just a few feet away. Not knowing 803.1, player A then picks up the shot he threw from the incorrect lie, and plays from his own disc and holes out.

What's the ruling?
GDL17921

Postby SARG27044 » Tue May 31, 2011 8:58 am

Shouldnt they have continued playing from the wrong lie and taken 2 strokes? What can you do, just peanlaize them for practice throws? IDK...
SARG27044

Postby GDL17921 » Tue May 31, 2011 9:00 am

exactly, so you can avoid a penalty throw by picking up and declaring it a practice throw and then play from the correct lie.

loophole?
GDL17921

Postby SARG27044 » Tue May 31, 2011 9:02 am

I guess. Kinda seems like the only way to get the 2 strokes for playing the wrong lie, is by holing out. I cant think this morning tho :lol:
SARG27044

Postby Buzzznation » Tue May 31, 2011 9:31 am

GDL17921 wrote:exactly, so you can avoid a penalty throw by picking up and declaring it a practice throw and then play from the correct lie.

loophole?

Sooo....I could drop a disc out of my bag on accident, throw from it, declare that I threw it from the wrong lie. Rethrow from the correct lie and receive no penalty?
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby SARG27044 » Tue May 31, 2011 9:35 am

Buzzznation wrote:
GDL17921 wrote:exactly, so you can avoid a penalty throw by picking up and declaring it a practice throw and then play from the correct lie.

loophole?

Sooo....I could drop a disc out of my bag on accident, throw from it, declare that I threw it from the wrong lie. Rethrow from the correct lie and receive no penalty?
No, the rules state that if you throw from another players lie, u get 2 strokes without a warning, and continue playing from that lie til you hole out.
SARG27044

Postby cgkdisc » Tue May 31, 2011 9:46 am

It's a 2-throw penalty for playing from the first wrong lie plus that throw. You abandon that lie and decide to play from your found disc which is now technically "another player's lie" and get another 2-throw penalty plus counting the throws until you hole out. You have a net 5 throws of penalties added to your throws needed to progress to hole out counting two 2-throw wrong lies and one practice throw.

When this exact thing happened at PW2007, we decided to count every throw the player made and only add one 2-throw penalty since it was all part of one mistake. So it was a net 3 shots in penalties instead of 5.
cgkdisc

Postby Brady » Tue May 31, 2011 10:19 am

loophole?

Every throw you make out on the course during the round will count on your final score. Declaring something a practice throw does not save you any strokes. You must always count practice throws on your score for that hole, it just means you don't have to use that throw. Practice throws don't help you as they are basically useless strokes. Hope that helps!

Definition from the rule book: 803.01 B. Practice Throws. A player who throws a practice throw or an extra throw with any disc any time after the
start of his or her round and prior to his or her finishing the last hole of the round (except
for throws that must be re-thrown in accordance with the rules, provisional throws made
pursuant to 803.01 C and 803.01 D (3), or throws during a suspension or postponement of play) shall receive
one penalty throw. The practice throw or extra throw must be observed by any two players or an
official.
Brady

Postby GDL17921 » Tue May 31, 2011 10:48 am

Brady wrote:

loophole?

Every throw you make out on the course during the round will count on your final score. Declaring something a practice throw does not save you any strokes. You must always count practice throws on your score for that hole, it just means you don't have to use that throw. Practice throws don't help you as they are basically useless strokes. Hope that helps!

Definition from the rule book: 803.01 B. Practice Throws. A player who throws a practice throw or an extra throw with any disc any time after the
start of his or her round and prior to his or her finishing the last hole of the round (except
for throws that must be re-thrown in accordance with the rules, provisional throws made
pursuant to 803.01 C and 803.01 D (3), or throws during a suspension or postponement of play) shall receive
one penalty throw. The practice throw or extra throw must be observed by any two players or an
official.

I was talking about was the difference between the two throw penalty for throwing from the wrong disc and the one throw penalty for throwing a practice throw.

Thanks Chuck, I made the wrong call this weekend. Hadn't seen that occur before. I think that rule needs to be added to or reworded a bit because it's open to incorrect interpretations.
Last edited by GDL17921 on Tue May 31, 2011 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GDL17921

Postby cgkdisc » Tue May 31, 2011 11:04 am

I agree and so does the RC that throwing from "not behind your lie" should be handled the same way regardless whether it's not from behind your mark or behind someone else's or behind a disc lost from a player in previous group or day.
cgkdisc

Postby Cydisc » Tue May 31, 2011 11:17 am

Brady wrote:

loophole?

Every throw you make out on the course during the round will count on your final score.

Except when you play provisional throws.
Cydisc

Postby claring » Tue May 31, 2011 11:42 am

GDL17921 wrote:
Brady wrote:

loophole?

official.

I was talking about was the difference between the two throw penalty for throwing from the wrong disc and the one throw penalty for throwing a practice throw.

Thanks Chuck, I made the wrong call this weekend. Hadn't seen that occur before. I think that rule needs to be added to or reworded or added to a bit because it's open to incorrect interpretations.

Thought there might be more to it
claring

Postby Single L » Tue May 31, 2011 11:51 am

Freaking AM's leaving their plastic littered in the woods :oops:
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby Abe Froman » Tue May 31, 2011 12:42 pm

Can a TD be penalized for a wrong call? Like being banned from the players party or like in the crusades where an inferior soldier was exiled by having their coat of arms ripped off their clothes and tied to a horse backwards blindfolded. Hahahaha
Abe Froman

Postby Steady 26542 » Tue May 31, 2011 12:46 pm

Interesting. I thought you had to hole out to get the 2 stroke penalty for playing the wrong lie. My interpretation is that the player didn't play from the other players lie, he threw a practice shot because he then played from his lie. I'll have to really dig into that rule. Thanks for posting this situation Wood. (And reply Chuck)
Team Iron Lion
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
"Frisbees are a hobby; disc golf is a sport."
Steady 26542

Next

Return to Stuff