PDGA Members no longer needed to vote for board members

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Postby harryPutter » Tue May 17, 2011 10:51 am

cgkdisc wrote:Board members have not been paid. A few have a few adult beverages at late dinners after the 8-10 hour planning meetings at Summits.
Oh my mistake, even better... So who does get paid then?
harryPutter

Postby cgkdisc » Tue May 17, 2011 11:01 am

PDGA Staff (6) and various consultants for specific tasks such as Breiner for doing membership fulfillment and PDGA Signup, Stork for Special Projects, Homburg for Tech measurements, Hoeniger as International Liaison, Cliff Towne for prepping printed Course Directory and Roger Smith and me for ratings processing. Marshals get paid for each event they officiate.
cgkdisc

Postby grodney » Tue May 17, 2011 11:08 am

When I was on the Ratings Committee, I got comped an Ace Club membership each year, which essentially got me a disc, a sweet metal mini, a subscription to the mag, and my name in the mag.

Some might cry FOUL at giving me all that stuff, but I worked MILLIONS of hours of volunteer time, so I think the PDGA just felt bad for me and figured I needed a life.
grodney

Postby harryPutter » Tue May 17, 2011 11:33 am

Well that being said, thanks for all your hard work guys - you rock!
harryPutter

Postby grodney » Tue May 17, 2011 11:48 am

It wasn't MILLIONS of hours, but it was at least SEVERAL.
grodney

Postby chappyfade » Sun May 22, 2011 8:16 am

cgkdisc wrote:Any talk about members paying for anything at the IDGC is nonsense. The citizens of Georgia paid for it thru sales taxes, manufacturer and heirs donated the equipment for the three courses, labor to design and build the courses was mostly donated, the monthly rental for the building is significantly less than equivalent commercial square footage and the pro shop sometimes brings in more per month than those rental fees.

PDGA members have essentially gotten a free national HQ facility with three courses that could be considered a profit center. Even if members never go there, they should thank those who followed thru with the creation of this complex.

That's not 100% accurate, Chuck. When I was on the board, I know we voted to appropriate some funds to help get the building built and get the building and IDGC project done a little faster. But you're right, Columbia County, Georgia ponied up the land, and the vast majority of everything else.

Chap
chappyfade

Postby cgkdisc » Sun May 22, 2011 8:56 am

Whatever the Board appropriated was more of a loan than an expense since it's easliy been recovered and much more in reduced costs and new IDGC revenues since then.
cgkdisc

Postby The Donator » Sun May 22, 2011 11:21 am

harryPutter wrote:
Discwrangler wrote:The complaints against the PDGA are petty IMO.

They've done a lot of good for the sport. It will never be mainstream entertainment.

You don't have to be mainstream to have millions of patrons, dollars, and influence. I disagree with the fact that we'll never be mainstream though, because it grows too fast and it's too universal for it not to. In fact, I would already call it mainstream in the US, it's just not mainstream on a professional level - which has bigger obstacles to overcome.

The future holds new owners and decision makers at the helm. All the OG disc golf pioneers are getting very old, and they protect their passion/investment with extreme diligence. My guess is that retirement will open up a whole new set of doors for this sport.

POTY so far.

Also, you have to be a PDGA member to play the Augusta courses? :?
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby cgkdisc » Sun May 22, 2011 12:48 pm

IDGC Fees:
http://www.pdga.com/IDGC/fees

The "pioneers" are mostly out of ruling the sport except at some of the manufacturers. The older "builders" have been and will be in charge of the professionalization of the sport for a while. The younger "builders" are doing more to expand the recreational side via web based and commercial initiatives. The "maintainers" haven't really come on the scene yet and are unlikely to do so for a while as the sport expands globally.
cgkdisc

Previous

Return to Stuff