black holes in Switzerland ?

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Postby z-man » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:08 am

This is a good analogy...

"The field has been compared to a snowfield that clings to particles and slows them down to different extents. Light particles pass through the field swiftly as if they have skis on, while heavy particles trudge through as though walking barefoot."
I want to get a vending machine with fun sized candy bars...and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late.
-Mitch Hedberg
~namaste~
z-man

Postby z-man » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:19 am

Pretty dope simulation of how a spiral galaxy is formed (similar to our Milky Way galaxy)...Took about 1.4 million processor hours on supercomputers to come up with this...

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20 ... re-created
I want to get a vending machine with fun sized candy bars...and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late.
-Mitch Hedberg
~namaste~
z-man

Postby Chase20460 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:00 pm

Im not even going to try to pretend I understand any of this......so whats with the God particle?
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby brox » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:55 am

Chase20460 wrote: whats with the God particle?

Basically.

God Particle
A particle that is obtained after colliding two hydrogen atoms traveling at a speed of light. It is believed that this particle played a key role in formation of our universe at the moment of the big bang.

If this particle is obtained here on earth and it's properties can be measured and recorded, scientists will be able to explain how the universe works! A giant atom collider in France is trying to do just that!
brox

Postby 10up » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:42 pm

I'll try to make this easy, although it's hard, and I don't understand it all, so that's working against us all here too.

Basically, the Standard Model of Particle Physics (a big huge complex math equation used for predicting anything... distances, velocity, mass, etc) doesn't work that well really. That is... unless we include a "symbol" for this Higgs Boson that no one had ever found. We knew it had to be there, because the math equation wouldn't work without adding that symbol (and all it's inherent properties=smarty part). This is what lead to the Theory and subsequent search for it. Just the fact that the math being done to back up observations being made in any given field, was infinitely more complex and unsymmetrical without adding the values of the Higgs.

Now they have verified it's existence and thus the Standard Model. We know that our math matches up as concisely as we're able to conceive and test to this point. That's a pretty big deal in of itself, but it gets better, because now this can become a hugely funded area of research.

So that's why they have been searching essentially. If they didn't, everyone everywhere was going to have to redo their math, and make it all a whole fuc­k-ton harder and rigid.

But the Higgs Boson itself "proves" something cooler too. The existence of the aptly named Higgs Field. The Higgs field permeates the entire universe, like an electric field or magnetic field, etc. And like an electric or magnetic field certain particles interact with it more strongly or weakly dependent upon it's relative aspects. So if a particle has a very strong interaction with the Higgs Field, it will slow down dramatically, become heavier, gain mass. If it has a weak interaction (or no interaction) with the Higgs Field, it will pass right through everything, gaining neither mass nor losing velocity. An example of a a weakly interacting particle is the Neutrino.

So it can almost be thought of like a charge. We know particles can have an electric charge, positive or negative. They can also be charged in a way where they interact with the Higgs Field, or don't. Interestingly, it doesn't seem like you can have a "negative" Higgs charge though.

The practical implications of this will be huge. But just the fact that we can actually move past verification and start teaching new minds about these principles will be the biggest difference. The research that is going to go into this field now will be unbelievable. And think about it, we're talking about breaking down and gaining an understanding of the cosmic field ultimately responsible for Gravity and Mass. Gravity manipulation? Hover board? 2015?

/not that I'm making any predictions or anything but..

Last edited by 10up on Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby 10up » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:43 pm

Also, the term "god particle" is retarded.
10up

Postby Detra319 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:58 pm

I agree more with the "goddamn particle" that the author originally wanted to go with because it was so hard to prove.
The finial... Even with no clouds!
Detra319

Postby Chase20460 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:15 pm

So based off your last paragraph its like Blizzard plastic, only it applies to physics?

J/K.

Thanks Dan, Im still pretty much ignorant about it, but I do have a better understanding because of your post.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby 10up » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:32 pm

a Higgs Frisbee would be amazing! Zero drag and constant acceleration.. The distance record would always be held by the first person to throw one...

Just wait until they prove SuperSymmetry now that they're done looking for the Higgs. Then shit's gonna get really confusing.
10up

Postby Like_Water » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:57 pm

Pretty exciting times. First we connect the entire planet through the Internet and now on the verge of explaining our existence.

Next up, cure the common cold.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Discgo » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:05 pm

Like_Water wrote:Pretty exciting times. First we connect the entire planet through the Internet and now on the verge of explaining our existence.

We would have to cure the pharmaceutical industry first. As soon as it becomes profitable to cure instead of indefinitely treating we will make some progress.
Chain-outs since last ace - 1
Discgo

Postby 10up » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:18 pm

Politics thread is that way. Try eating better food, you won't need the pharmies.

This thread is about advancement, education, and a positive future.
10up

Postby IHearChains » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:31 pm

Discgo wrote:
Like_Water wrote:Pretty exciting times. First we connect the entire planet through the Internet and now on the verge of explaining our existence.

We would have to cure the pharmaceutical industry first. As soon as it becomes profitable to cure instead of indefinitely treating we will make some progress.

Yeah all those researchers that could invent the cures should work for free.

And let's get rid of the FDA, all that testing costs too much.

Then we will make some progress. :roll:
IHearChains

Postby brox » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:43 am

We should just test on poor people instead of monkeys and rabbits. We'll never run out of poor people.
brox

Postby irban » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:34 am

Higgs bosen would likely have been detected 10 years earlier and in the US, had we not defunded the SSC. Have to pay to play. Oh yeah, politics that way.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

PreviousNext

Return to Stuff