black holes in Switzerland ?

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

black holes in Switzerland ?

Postby Harmon » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:45 am

Hows this for some good news in 2011 ....

Breaking News: LHC creates small black holes in Switzerland

Large Hadron Collider

GENEVE (1ED) – At 0600 hrs yesterday (4-12-11), scientists at the Large Hadron Collider announced that their worst fears were realized when the collission of sub-atomic particles just shy of the speed of light resulted in the creation of several blackholes at different scales. Following a plea by scientists, major news corporations and newspapers have decided to not publish the news so as to not create havoc amongst the concerned masses.

“We do not know how many black holes have formed,” says a scientist at the LHC on the condition of anonymity, “but we believe there to be more than one”. Top sources at the LHC claim that the scale of the black holes poses no credible threat. But as the energy of the colliding particles increases, the size of the possible black holes will increase exponentially, threatening the safety of the entire world.

The chances of this happening were reported to be one in 5 million before the experiments began. But the odds had been going up ever since the Collidor began operation. “We realized early on that our calculations on how the apparatus should behave were off,” says the scientist, “and we had to revise the estimates almost every hour due to the unpredictable manner in which the LHC was operating”. When asked why the potentially dangerous experiment was allowed to continue, a spokesman for the LHC said that the huge sum of money invested into the idea could not be forsaken “at the slightest dab of concern”.

Conception and construction of the LHC cost approximately £3.5 billion over nearly a decade. Scientists are hoping to find the ellusive Higgs Boson particle by colliding sub-atomic particles at very high speeds. The Higgs Boson is the particle which physicists believe to be responsible for the mass of things. It has never been observed although the framework of modern physics rests upon its shoulders. Conditions were set-up at the LHC that replicate the state of the universe when the big-bang had just occured. The LHC was cooled down for weeks to transform it into one of the coldest places in the universe and subatomic particles raced along its 27 km circumference, accelerating towards the speed of light.

“When the experiment first began,” says the scientist, “the odds of finding the Higgs Boson were considerably higher than those of creating a black hole. But the revised odds after only a day of operation made the creation of black holes more likely. Many mathematicians expressed their concern and wanted the LHC to be shut down until the calculations were reviewed”. Despite the concern, the LHC was allowed to operate further due to two major reasons.

“If we were to stop operations, the hysteria would make it unlikely for the LHC to resume atleast in the near future. Also, there was no contingency plan to halt the operations. Thats the one thing that we didn’t plan”.

Frankie Boyle, a regular contributor to BBC’s Channel 2 recently said, “These black holes are the worst possible kind of black holes. Everybody is going to slowly move towards Switzerland”. To make his point in a debate about the importance of new discoveries promised by the LHC, Mr. Boyle said, “I’m sure they’ll find some interesting things about protons. But I may add, I don’t give a shit”.
Where there is Love there is Hope (Widespread Panic)
Harmon

Postby Pittman » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:18 am

Nice conspiracy story here. This is classic hyped up paranoia about a very poorly understood phenomena to the general public. These "dangerous" black holes they are talking about are microscopic. They will collapse upon themselves in a matter of nanoseconds. They pose no threat to our world and the possibility of understanding of what matter is and possibly what happened at the beginning of the universe is too great to ignore.
Pittman

Postby z-man » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:04 am

Pittman wrote:These "dangerous" black holes they are talking about are microscopic. They will collapse upon themselves in a matter of nanoseconds. They pose no threat to our world...

This
I want to get a vending machine with fun sized candy bars...and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late.
-Mitch Hedberg
~namaste~
z-man

Postby Like_Water » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:18 am

hmmm....who should I believe a teacher or a scientist?

Finding the "God" particle should be simple right? :lol:
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Chase20460 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:22 am

2012 bitches.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby Pittman » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:47 am

Discwrangler wrote:hmmm....who should I believe a teacher or a scientist?

That's a very poignant question tanner... Who do you believe in many things is one of the fundemental questions we have to answer in these times of information overload. It's one of the first things I try and teach my kids when they come into my class. How do we judge the "trustworthiness" of any particular source.

Now, in my opinion on the subject I have actually done a good bit of reading because I find it fascinating. I would have a very hard time believing the source for this article. It sounds like a reporter spinning a couple of comments with their own opinions. I base that off of the other information and articles I've read about the LHC research.
Pittman

Postby Detra319 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:50 am

Pittman wrote:

That's a very poignant question tanner... Who do you believe in many things is one of the fundemental questions we have to answer in these times of information overload. It's one of the first things I try and teach my kids when they come into my class. How do we judge the "trustworthiness" of any particular source.

Now, in my opinion on the subject I have actually done a good bit of reading because I find it fascinating. I would have a very hard time believing the source for this article. It sounds like a reporter spinning a couple of comments with their own opinions. I base that off of the other information and articles I've read about the LHC research.

The most important thing I don't believe is that they would or even could cover it up. Say whatever you want conspiracy theorists...
Detra319

Postby Pittman » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:52 am

Detra319 wrote:
Pittman wrote:

The most important thing I don't believe is that they would or even could cover it up. Say whatever you want conspiracy theorists...

Exactly, there would be no reason to cover this up. If anything it would be celebrated for making a new step forward. Finding the blackholes was one of the steps necessary to prove the existence of parallel dimensions if I remember correctly.
Pittman

Postby geoffreylaw » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:37 am

"Frankie Boyle, a regular contributor to BBC’s Channel 2 recently said, “These black holes are the worst possible kind of black holes. Everybody is going to slowly move towards Switzerland”.

This is either a joke or written by a bafoon. I'm curious how "these black hole are the worst possible blackholes"? What other black holes is he comparing it to?

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything."
~Friedrich Nietzsche
geoffreylaw

Postby z-man » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:59 am

Pittman wrote:Exactly, there would be no reason to cover this up. If anything it would be celebrated for making a new step forward. Finding the blackholes was one of the steps necessary to prove the existence of parallel dimensions if I remember correctly.

Next step --> wormholes...I can't wait to visit alpha-centari...
Or bypass traffic by walking into a hole in my office wall which exits into my living room at home :shock:

I don't know if it proves the existence of parallel dimensions...However, I think it weighs in favor of the hypothesis of a multi-dimensional universe...superstring and M-theory call for 10 or 11 dimensions, I believe...

Pittman...have you read "The Fabric of the Cosmos" or "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene. Really fascinating stuff involving theoretical physics, cosmology, and string theory
I want to get a vending machine with fun sized candy bars...and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late.
-Mitch Hedberg
~namaste~
z-man

Postby Harmon » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:00 pm

Lets make sure everyone understands ... I just found this article and thought it would be interesting to discuss ...not that I believe what this person said ... :D .... we could also discuss the end of the world some say is coming on May 21, 2011 !!!

:shock: :D
Where there is Love there is Hope (Widespread Panic)
Harmon

Postby z-man » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:00 pm

geoffreylaw wrote:What other black holes is he comparing it to?

Probably the kind that you step into because it is dark and you can't see it, thus spraining your ankle
-Mitch Hedberg
~namaste~
z-man

Postby 10up » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:24 pm

the end of the world isn't May 21st... that's when Jesus is coming back. I'll be having a party if anyone is in Denver and wants to watch the rapture.

The LHC is so dangerous. It is going to continuously change the world. Although I don't hink the biggest potential discoveries are the most publicized. I think they will find the Higgs... I don't think it is going to be this "final piece of the puzzle" like it's made out. The sheer number of Bosons, Quarks, and whatever the hells else is testament to that. I think there is somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 Bosons we have discovered but really only need 6 to complete the Standard Model. We just haven't found 2 (or 1) of them.

I've been reading some papers on the possibility of the LHC identifying entirely new forces of nature. Other than the weak or strong, EM, or Gravitation. Part of the problem they have is that the Standard Model of Particle Physics "breaks down" on the Massive or Super-Massive scale. That which measures Galaxies and such. There is a large group of scientists who think that isn't necessarily because the standard model is wrong and/or requiring some "solve everything" particle. They think we just haven't fully understood exactly what is happening down in there. I'm not even sure what a new Fundamental Force of Nature would be. But it seems likely.
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby SARG27044 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:31 pm

Wasnt Jesus supposed to come back in '75?
SARG27044

Postby Pittman » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:32 pm

z-man wrote:
Pittman wrote:Exactly, there would be no reason to cover this up. If anything it would be celebrated for making a new step forward. Finding the blackholes was one of the steps necessary to prove the existence of parallel dimensions if I remember correctly.

Next step --> wormholes...I can't wait to visit alpha-centari...
Or bypass traffic by walking into a hole in my office wall which exits into my living room at home :shock:

I don't know if it proves the existence of parallel dimensions...However, I think it weighs in favor of the hypothesis of a multi-dimensional universe...superstring and M-theory call for 10 or 11 dimensions, I believe...

Pittman...have you read "The Fabric of the Cosmos" or "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene. Really fascinating stuff involving theoretical physics, cosmology, and string theory

I've read elegant universe a few times actually and a good bit of stephen hawkings stuff. Depending on how you work the math there can be almost any number of universes. I actually consider that a side story right now. If we can finally determine what "mass" is and get a handle on why it causes gravity to finally link the 4 forces together I think our understanding of many things will improve.

I just was reading an article the other day that was postulizing that a collision between parallel universes could have actually been the cause of the "big bang"....
Pittman

Next

Return to Stuff