Forget the boots, just get your arse in shape

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Postby The Donator » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:51 pm

What is WOD? Im guessing the exact opposite of WOW and without a computer?
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby RonRazz » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:57 pm

Discwrangler wrote:
I had my bro in-law come up with 2 weeks of body weight WOD's to get me started/through the holidays with what little equipment I have at home, before I join DM Crossfit.

Here is what he prescribed:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/lv?key= ... UFXOGc&f=0

9-Dec 5 Rounds For time - 15 pushups, 20 Airsquats
10-Dec 50 Burpees for time
11-Dec Jumprope- Accumulate 20 Mins of Jumping Rope
12-Dec Rest
13-Dec 4 Rounds 20 Steps Walking Lunge, 10 sit ups
14-Dec 8 Rounds 20 Secs on and 10 Secs off of Airsquats "Tabata Squats"
15-Dec Rest - Do some stretching - Work on getting into a deep squat
16-Dec 21-15-9 Reps of Pull ups, burpees
17-Dec 100 Air Squats for Time
18-Dec Run 3 x 400 M rest 3 Minutes Between efforts
19-Dec Rest
20-Dec Every minute on the minute for 10 Min- Perform 5 Dumbbell Presses (Whatever Weight you can) and 5 Pushups
21-Dec 3 Rounds- For time 10 Dumbbell Swings, 10 Sit ups, 10 pushups
22-Dec Rest
23-Dec For time- 100 Steps Walking Lunge, 50 Air Squats, 25 Pushups, 50 Airsquats, 100 Steps Walking lunge
24-Dec 1 Min on 1 min off x 10 of Plank Holds (Pushup top position)

So far I'm really impressed on the gains and how I feel. I'm basically doing a 15 minute full body workout (now warmup) then the WOD. It's been a huge tax on my legs and glutes, but I get through everything. I'm setting up an agility ladder tonight and incorporating that in the warmup. And yeah, stretching is a good part of the warmup, which includes some yoga and straight up hamstring stretches. I'm expanding the warmup as I go, at least until I get to the puking stage :lol:

I feel like this little intro is going to be the best for actually getting into real crossfit, that I'll be paying money for.

Yea those are some good lead-in classes. When I first started my legs were toast daily. I can stress the importance of stretch and warm ups enough, to avoid injury and get the most out of the work your putting in.

Everything you need to know for stretching...
http://mobilitywod.blogspot.com/

Have fun with your workout tomorrow, the 16th, 20th especially if you have some decent weights 25-35lbs, and the 23rd will own you!
Last edited by RonRazz on Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RonRazz

Postby Single L » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:03 pm

RonRazz wrote:I forget what scale WOD you do Corey but the the single unders/ double unders are meant to be a major Cardio work out and if you are breathing wrong on your dead lift you can definitely pass out. Be sure to have maintain a flat back, tight abs, and exhale on the lift.

I mix it up on levels depending on the WOD (Workout of the Day), and even mix up the levels, today I did everything Blue except for the Pull-ups at the grey level. I don;t think its the form and breathing as much as timing, slowing down between reps and sets. I tend to hammer it hard (with proper form and technique) until I feel spent, then finish out any remaining reps as fast as my body will allow. I know I should proabbly pace myself and then push it hard at the end (kind of like when you run a mile or 5K). I just have a hard time thinking I may leave something in the tank, so I want to push it 100% the entire time. I know a lot of this attitude comes from how I trained in Sports in High School and College, but news flash I'm not in High School or College or in that kind of shape. So really my problem mental. Even though Crossfit is about pushing yourself you need to know your limits and how to push yourself within those limits.

Tanner I do Crossfit at an Anytime Fitness. Ideally you would want to join a Crossfit Gym to get the maximum workout, however it can be done outside of a CF Gym if your schedule and budget don't allow you to join. I will probably continue to workout the way I have been until next fall. After a year I'll probably decide if I want to and/or can fit joining Crossfit into my schedule and budget.
Single L

Postby Single L » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:28 pm

After you get done with the program you have listed above try out the Crossfit515.com. The nice thing about their WOD's compared to Crossfit.com is that they list multiple fitness levels and their rest days are on the weekends as apposed to every 4th day. This makes working out with t structured schedule and around weekend activities a lot easier.

One of the nice things about Crossfit is that there is a substitution for almost every workout in case you don't have certain equipment (Rowing Machine, Rings and GHD sit-up machine in my case).
Single L

Postby RonRazz » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:34 pm

Corey I have that same problem finding my stride in some workouts. The best gauge for me is everyone else. My WOD today included a mile row and the time I was shooting for was sub 6:30 I made it under that goal but a lot of people were in the six minute range so I knew I needed to push myself some what.
RonRazz

Postby Single L » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:11 pm

RonRazz wrote:Corey I have that same problem finding my stride in some workouts. The best gauge for me is everyone else.

That would work great if I was at a Crossfit Gym, but I'm at a standard Gym ..... I have to be my own pace setter. I workout over lunch, when the Gym is quasi empty, so I can hog equipment and exercise areas to do sets without interruption in the WOD, plus it works out great for picking up my daughter after work.
Single L

Postby RonRazz » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:07 pm

Single L wrote:That would work great if I was at a Crossfit Gym, but I'm at a standard Gym ..... I have to be my own pace setter. I workout over lunch, when the Gym is quasi empty, so I can hog equipment and exercise areas to do sets without interruption in the WOD, plus it works out great for picking up my daughter after work.

Your absolutely right. I meant to include that in my post. What you could do is view the comments on the daily wod and compare from there.
RonRazz

Postby Like_Water » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:20 am

RonRazz wrote:[
Everything you need to know for stretching...
http://mobilitywod.blogspot.com/

Have fun with your workout tomorrow, the 16th, 20th especially if you have some decent weights 25-35lbs, and the 23rd will own you!

Yeah, that guy is a genius! Ive been working on those first two blog entries.

Totally not looking forward to the 23rd. However, the squats I did last night were 100% better than the ones I did last week. It's amazing how fast the body can adapt and become better.

I'll definitely be joining the DM Crossfit. I think the proper instruction is well worth it for the first month or two. I've never really done any olympic weight lifting moves, and I have zero time for injuries. I look forward to building my own or going some place less expensive. My bro in-law just ordered like $2000 of equipment to deck out my sisters garage. He'll be graduating from ISU and all he really wants to do is crossfit and rugby :)
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Captain » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:14 am

So, back to the original subject; no matter how good of shape I'm in, that won't keep my feet dry. Boot suggestions anyone??
Captain

Postby medicinal funk » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:33 am

Captain wrote:So, back to the original subject; no matter how good of shape I'm in, that won't keep my feet dry. Boot suggestions anyone??

wear a pair of waders like a fly fisherman on the course
medicinal funk

Postby Single L » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:52 am

Captain wrote:So, back to the original subject; no matter how good of shape I'm in, that won't keep my feet dry. Boot suggestions anyone??

Why are you asking us? I alwasy figured we should be asking you Mr. Over Prepared Hunter and Gatherer ........ Fog Togs, North Face, Mountain Hardware, Purple Sled, etc, etc, etc ............. you already have it all :shock:
Single L

Postby RonRazz » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:13 pm

We don't really have a wet foot problem working out. You might want to have that looked at.

one possibility is the thought of cardio work may have you pissing down your leg and into your shoe causing the wet foot.
RonRazz

Postby Cydisc » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:36 pm

Environment-controlled astronaut boots. They don't work on their own so you have to wear the entire suit complete with the A/C unit on your back. The set should run about $5 million.
Cydisc

Postby Buzzznation » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:53 pm

I've always hated stretching. It was probably permanently ruined for me when we had to show up to BB practice in college 45 minutes before practice started so we could go through the 1 hour long stretch routine that our captain wanted to do. So I stretch for about 2 minutes before I lift, which really does nothing except maybe get the blood pumping a little.

Anyways for what it's worth I am a firm believer in that stretching doesn't do much good for you prior to lifting weights and some studies show that it even decreases the amount that you're able to lift. It is the stretching after you lift or workout that is critical to help prevent injury. A 3-4 minute jog is really all you need to get loose IMO. Obviously stretching is important for any athletic events i.e disc golf ect. Again I really don't practice this but should.

I've seen mention of the stretch bands on here. Great tool for any type of fast motions like throwing a disc and core exercises. It is a great warm up tool or for stretching after a workout. Also great for injury prevention. Not much good individually for trying to gain strength or mass unless you incorporate the bands into lifting weights.

I'm currently in the middle of a 12 week weight lifting routine. Following that I plan on starting a cardio weight lifting routine called Full Metal Cardio that I copped from Muscle Magazine. This will be something completely new for me.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby Like_Water » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:26 pm

I agree, warming up is more about getting body temp up and blood flowing. I actually like stretching now. The last year of doing Yoga has helped a ton and made it enjoyable. That being said, after the workout is best.

The mobilitywod is about gaining mobility in areas you wouldn't even think about, but will make all your other excersizes (squats) easier. Gaining mobility in the hips HAS to be good for disc golf.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

PreviousNext

Return to Stuff