FOX News - Bad for your health

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Re: Hypocricy

Postby bergdawg » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:52 pm

tufluk wrote: To cherry-pick a few instances of violence in a country of 300 million and use them to smear a political perspective and to try to silence its proponents through boycotts or government regulations is un-American.

That's more American than baseball.
"I'm so tough I wipe my ass with sandpaper."
bergdawg

Mess

Postby tufluk » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:01 pm

I agree, Politics and Religion are always contentious. I would question their appropriateness in a disc golf setting. That being said, I won't let someone lump those with my personal political philosophy in with psycotic killers and not respond. A Cuban Commie killed JFK. A palestinian shot his brother. A Manson accolyte took a poke at Prez Ford. Psycho shot Reagan. Tuscon killer hated Bush, and shot a Dem Representative, and a GOP Judge. Cain killed Abel. Did they all watch Fox news? No, they were just bad people!

"Don't piss down my leg and tell me it's raining" Fletcher
tufluk

Re: Hypocricy

Postby Like_Water » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:39 pm

tufluk wrote: Speechless is what I would be if people like discwrangler had their way.

We are probably more alike than you think.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby irban » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:37 pm

Sorry, still don't think death threats are in liberal's bag o' tricks. True, there is vitriol on all sides, but libs are not playing to their base when they advocate violence. I don't think the arizona shooter was listening to sarah p., however it is a fact the congresswoman was threatened numerous times prior to the incident. While the intent may not have been to kill, I'm certain it was to intimidate. Bullying is more prevalent when the bullies hear people in power talking their language. To me, the torture policies of cheney etal are the worst legacy of that administration, because that became the new normal.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Yes they do!

Postby tufluk » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:47 pm

Google "Death of a president" and results will show the 2006 film about the assassination of Prez G.W. Bush. Google "Sarah Palin hung in effigy. Ditto Dick Cheney, Lindsey Grahm and Joe Lieberman. Also Obama. Both sides do it, and it's "legal", but not "right". The problem arises when one says, "they do it, make them stop" knowing full well that his side is doing it too. That is when one goes from partisan to hypocrite.
Kind of like saying Dick Cheney authorized torture, while neglecting to mention Prez Obama authorizing hundreds of drone strikes. Personally, I'd rather be waterboarded than have a hellfire missle run up my a__! But that's just me.

[quote]"I once met a man, who said that he knew a man, who knew what was going on. I was mistaken" McGuinn Clark & Hillman
tufluk

Postby irban » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:25 pm

Once again. Fringe on both sides are extreme. When fringe tactics move into the mainstream is frightening. No excuse for advocating those acts in an official capacity.

I don't agree with the drone policy or many of the war policies continued by Obama from GWtf. However, comparing the human rights records of bush/cheney to any other administration, right or left, is ludicrous. Those guys are war criminals, plain and simple.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Re: Yes they do!

Postby 10up » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:46 pm

tufluk wrote:I'd rather be waterboarded than have a hellfire missle run up my a__! But that's just me.

haha, thats funny to say.

what the hell is this thread about? The news?
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby Like_Water » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:33 am

10up wrote:
tufluk wrote:I'd rather be waterboarded than have a hellfire missle run up my a__! But that's just me.

haha, thats funny to say.

what the hell is this thread about? The news?

Inciting riots. :lol:

For me it's silly to believe either side when it's painfully obvious they are both equally corrupt.
Like_Water

Postby irban » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:08 am

Discwrangler wrote:For me it's silly to believe either side when it's painfully obvious they are both equally corrupt.

I'm not about believing anything. I'm about doing the right thing, regardless who you are. Same standards for all. Throwing up your hands because the whole system is corrupt doesn't help either.
~~~- ¥
irban

The right thing

Postby tufluk » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:46 am

That is true. What defines the "right" thing?
Lyndon Johnson started a "war on poverty" in the 1960s. 40+ years later, Its results are: The destruction of the black family structure and creation of a permanant underclass. Poverty still 11%.
Carter created the Dept of education in '79. Since the feds got involved we have seen a downward spiral in students' scores despite an avalanche of money thrown at it.
I do not believe either had bad intentions when they began thier policies. I'm sure they thought they were doing the "right" thing.
That is why we should be discussing issues instead of pointing fingers at either side for the rhetoric they use.
Because sometimes rushing to do the "right" thing produces the wrong result.

"It is the easiest thing in the world for a man to appear to have a great secret". Conan the barbarian
tufluk

Postby gocards300 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:24 pm

Capt. Thomas Fuller wrote:Sometimes doing the right thing isn't doing the right thing.
gocards300

Postby irban » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:58 pm

Good intentions, don't lie, cause the least harm, help the most people, avoid the tyranny of the majority, don't let money rule, don't use threats of violence to get your way. These are what I consider to be the right thing. I know all sides do it, I mainly point out the most glaring defects I see, like state authorized torture and declarations of preemptive unilateral war based on deceit and lies. Still not sure what the motivation for that was, maybe war profiteering?

Sorry if I'm not finding as many glaring issues with the left. You know some of Obama's approval ratings drop was due to people like me disagreeing with certain policies right? The bastard is still doing extraordinary renditions for crying out loud. What's up with that? I'm trying to hold him to the same standards.

And the great society is what it is, good and bad. Are you saying nothing should have been done? I'd say it is good on balance. Reagan's policies were also done with good intentions. Some see him as the beginning of great things, others as the start of what we're trying to undo now. Some of Clinton's policies are to blame as well, too much power in the banks. People who have the money are also controlling the media and the message. Hard for some to see the true motivation, but that is what is necessary. Call them on it.
~~~- ¥
irban

Postby Like_Water » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:35 pm

irban wrote:People who have the money are also controlling the media and the message.

and the entire country.

In a universe where balance is found to be fundamental, can the world exist without evil? Could it ever be "all good"?
Like_Water

Postby z-man » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:54 pm

Discwrangler wrote:In a universe where balance is found to be fundamental, can the world exist without evil? Could it ever be "all good"?
To answer your question plainly...No...
You can't have any yin without the yang...
I want to get a vending machine with fun sized candy bars...and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late.
-Mitch Hedberg
~namaste~
z-man

Postby grodney » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:05 pm

irban wrote:help the most people

This, my friend, is THE sticking point between the right and the left. And I'm afraid it will never go away, it will only get worse.

It is plain and simple a difference in philosophy. I used to be there. I used to care only about myself. Screw everybody. I got mine, I'm good, everybody else can suck it.

Somewhere along the line, I changed. Getting married to a liberal? Having kids? Or simply growing up? Realizing I'm lucky. Realizing I'm one flip-of-the-coin from needing help. Realizing I might need help one day.

A huge contributing factor to the divide is those who abuse your wish to help the most people. We, wanting to help the most people, essentially ignore the abusers, accepting that they exist, arguing they are the minority, trying to find ways to stop the abuse. The right, by contrast, uses the abusers as the strongest support for survival of the fittest, arguing that they are a huge majority, and the tangible failure of our wishes to help others.

It's all just sad.
grodney

PreviousNext

Return to Stuff