FOX News - Bad for your health

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Helping people

Postby tufluk » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:56 pm

We now come to the subject of helping people. What exactly does that mean? I am 100% for assisting people with real physical and intellectual disabilities.
What about people who are able-bodied and just not motivated? What about substance abusers? As you mentioned there are the fraudsters.
The Declaration of Independence (not dependence), states we have the right to the PURSUIT of hapiness. It doesn't guarantee happiness. It requires people to have an equal opportunity, not an equal outcome.
Two things in this world will almost surely result in a person being poor. Substance (or gambling) addiction, and for women, having children out of wedlock. We set up a system to assist single women and as a result we destroyed the family structure for some segments in society, and doomed those children to a life on the streets.
The people who designed those programs just wanted to help. They neglected to factor in human nature. The 7 deadly sins, Sloth, gluttony, greed, envy and the rest kick in. There is a very fine line between helping and enabling.
I didn't make my son have a job, pay for his own car, insurance, and gas because I was cheap. I did it because it is my belief that one doesn't value what they haven't worked for. That giving him those things would be hurting him, not helping.
I love my son, and my fellow man. I do not want to help anyone onto the road to dependancy. It's a dead end.
Assistance for the legitimately disabled should be easy to get, and generous. Assistance for the able-bodied should be difficult to get, and temporary.
Seeing as I joined this forum to share my interest in disc golf, I will speak of this no more.

[quote]"Ask not what your Country can do for you, ask what you can do for your Country" JFK
tufluk

Re: Yes they do!

Postby Dale Jordal » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:24 am

10up wrote:
what the hell is this thread about? The news?

Yea, It started out as a CBS story about FOX news men .

Any time I read or watch the News ... I remember the words from my father " Don't believe everything you read ", and I can say over the years was excelent advice to remember (confirmed for me many times over years).
FCDGC Home of the:
IA/MN Border Bash - (Iowa Tour Event)
Battle at the Bridge - (North Iowa Tour Event)
Forest City, Iowa
Dale Jordal

Postby dx pete » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:25 am

grodney wrote:
irban wrote:help the most people

This, my friend, is THE sticking point between the right and the left. And I'm afraid it will never go away, it will only get worse.

It is plain and simple a difference in philosophy. I used to be there. I used to care only about myself. Screw everybody. I got mine, I'm good, everybody else can suck it.

Somewhere along the line, I changed. Getting married to a liberal? Having kids? Or simply growing up? Realizing I'm lucky. Realizing I'm one flip-of-the-coin from needing help. Realizing I might need help one day.

A huge contributing factor to the divide is those who abuse your wish to help the most people. We, wanting to help the most people, essentially ignore the abusers, accepting that they exist, arguing they are the minority, trying to find ways to stop the abuse. The right, by contrast, uses the abusers as the strongest support for survival of the fittest, arguing that they are a huge majority, and the tangible failure of our wishes to help others.

It's all just sad.

i dont disagree that that is what you believe being on the left. I see it more as a "teach a man to fish vs. give a man a fish" thing. I prefer shrimp.
opulence, I has it.
dx pete

Postby Like_Water » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:02 pm

http://www.npr.org/2011/02/27/134104...rt?sc=fb&cc=fp

Target Of Glenn Beck's Ire Recounts Threats
by NPR STAFF

February 27, 2011
Glenn Beck calls her one of the most dangerous people in the world.

"I'm about 5-foot-6," Frances Fox Piven tells Weekends on All Things Considered host Guy Raz. "I'm 78 years old. My hair is partly grey. I'm quite thin."

Piven is a professor at the City College of New York. In 1966, she and her late husband, Richard Cloward, wrote an article for The Nation outlining a plan to help the poor of New York and other big cities to get on welfare.

In their research, they found that not all the poor who were eligible to receive welfare actually did. They advocated that all the nation's eligible poor should apply. They felt such a strain to city budgets would force Washington to address the poverty problem.

Forty-five years later, Beck took to the airwaves of Fox News and his own radio program, warning the public about the obscure article.

"Let me introduce you to the people who you would say are fundamentally responsible for the unsustainability and possible collapse of our economic system. They're really two people," he said, "Cloward and Piven."

For about the last three months, week after week, Beck's been hammering away at Piven and her husband. From their 45-year-old article, he sees a vast conspiracy to overthrow the American financial system.

Theirs, he says, is a plan to "overwhelm the system and bring about the fall of capitalism by overloading the government bureaucracy with impossible demands and bring on economic collapse."

Beck says their approach is the main strategy employed by the far left ever since, applying it to everything from the Wall Street collapse to the health care law to climate change.

Soon after Beck made her infamous, Piven says hundreds of death threats poured into her e-mail account and conservative blogs. Things like, "'May cancer overtake you soon!'" Piven says. She ended up asking the FBI and state police for help.

While Piven acknowledges that Beck has never advocated violence against her, she still feels Beck's screeds led directly to the threats against her life.

"It's a lunatic story, but it's a story that nevertheless is clear," she says. "You can get your hands around it. This woman is somehow responsible for the upsetting changes in your small town where the factory closed down. I don't blame them for being upset. It is upsetting. But I blame Glenn Beck for telling them a factually untrue, crazy story about why those changes occurred."
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby irban » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:21 pm

Bitch should have known better. Just sayin.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby tufluk » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:20 am

Piven is a professor at the City College of New York. In 1966, she and her late husband, Richard Cloward, wrote an article for The Nation outlining a plan to help the poor of New York and other big cities to get on welfare.

Might have been more helpful to write a plan to help the poor get off of welfare?
tufluk

Postby Like_Water » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:24 pm

tufluk wrote:Might have been more helpful to write a plan to help the poor get off of welfare?

Probably. Does she deserve cancer for her views?

Shit is just nutty out there.
Like_Water

Postby irban » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:07 pm

tufluk wrote:Piven is a professor at the City College of New York. In 1966, she and her late husband, Richard Cloward, wrote an article for The Nation outlining a plan to help the poor of New York and other big cities to get on welfare.

Might have been more helpful to write a plan to help the poor get off of welfare?

I know who she is. Their root purpose was to illustrate how big the problem of poverty was, by enrolling the actual number of poor who qualify for poverty assistance. Meant to show the inadequacy of the programs in place, to force a response and a change. Seems pretty creative to me, giving a voice to the people who can't afford lobbyists, etc.
Regardless, beck continues with sociopathic zeal, twisting and shaping his freak show of paranoia and fear, attracting the small minded and tunnel-visioned like a flame. So they can buy gold.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby tufluk » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:32 pm

We agree on 1 thing. Buying gold, for the most part, is a bad deal.

Selling gold, on the other hand can make you rich.
tufluk

Postby irban » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:36 pm

This is humorous, and topical...

Beck, Sheen or Qaddafi?
~~~- ¥
irban

Postby arowan21 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:00 pm

QMikal wrote:it took me ten minutes to type this.
arowan21

Postby Like_Water » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:15 am

As the scandal covers the news I still don't see much about this...

http://www.businessinsider.com/news-cor ... iny-2011-7
Like_Water

Postby ghstinshll » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:57 am

coincidence? i think NOT. lol
##39027
ghstinshll

Previous

Return to Stuff