What makes a good tournament?

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

What makes a good tournament?

Postby AO » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:49 am

I saw this on another website and was interested in what people think in Iowa.
AO

Postby jnecessary » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:09 am

I think you should be more specific, depending on the person and on the division it could vary wildly.

I'll shoot though.

As far as running the tournament. Not having to ask many questions is always big. If the TD or supporting help address all the OBs, mandos, tee times, players meeting times, and those sorts of things very clearly it makes for a better tournament. Those sorts of things shouldn't be in question once a round is underway.

Food on site is great, just one less thing to think about and I loved the way the Wildcat crew had food available for lunch and dinner and such. The entertainment during downtimes was also great...ring of fire, CTP competitions.

For me personally, and I'm not at the level I want to be in my game and it could change at that time...but, when I get home from a tourney or when I'm thinking about it the next day I tend to judge a good or bad tourney by the people I played with. You can play poorly, but with a great card and not be nearly as P.O.'d afterwards with yourself. If you play bad with a group that has either jerks, big headed types, or just anti social types it just makes me think of all the flaws in my game instead of the positives for myself and the people I'm playing with.

So TLDR; As far as the running of a tourney, the more transparent it is the better IMO. For me, good tourneys are the ones where you play with great people, whether your game was good or bad.
jnecessary

Postby irban » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:23 am

Big payout for the pros of course.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby AO » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:24 am

I'm not looking for anything specific, just over all opinions on what people like and dislike.

Personally, I like reasonably quick play with no major back ups, maps or a list of what is ob, trophies are a plus, lunch on site, and added in pro divisions is a bonus. Tee off on time is something I think is important. I don't care for long award ceremonies and long waiting periods before the ceremonies or the 2nd round. I also don't like when players of are trying to get their prizes during awards, it gets to loud.

One question I have is.... should everyone that cashed be recognized at awards or just top 3 in each division?
AO

Postby jnecessary » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:33 am

AO wrote:One question I have is.... should everyone that cashed be recognized at awards or just top 3 in each division?

Top 3 would make things move along quicker, I too dislike really long awards ceremonies.

At Justin Trails they put the funny money/payouts on the scoreboard and you could go up and get it and do whatever you wanted after that. They recognized the top few, don't remember if 3 or a bit more after that but it was quick because you didn't have to go up to accept prizes and such, the only exception was top 3 in open divisions I believe and the CTPs and such.

Another thing to add. Trophies are cool indeed, but funny money > bags of random plastic.
jnecessary

Postby Clue » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:37 am

1. Good course - I prefer above all else to play a good course in a well organized competitive environment.

2. Well Organized - I'd include good communication such as having good course maps and rules, a board and clock with updates and schedule changes, and punctuality. Every possible OB should be covered. The easiest way to cover this is to have general course rules be primary and hole by hole instructions be supplemental. For instance, at Pickard the rule of thumb is that if the tee and the pin are on the same side of the creek then in the creek and beyond is OB. Generally that comes into play on 8 and 16 and the exception is on 14. But it can come into play on 11,12,13,15, and 17. It's a lot less likely, but it's easy to overlook.

3. Speed - This sort of falls into category 2, but this gets overlooked. There are very few tournaments that are known for being quick, however there are many that are known for taking forever such as Hickory Hills. I'm not sure why we always start at 10. I'd like to see more tournaments start around 9 or 930. If it's a 2-day then 10 is fine on Sat, but maybe even 8 or 9 on Sunday. Then of course being punctual with starting time, followed by having enough holes to make for smaller groups (or multiple courses).

4. Perks - Player's packs, added cash, lunches, player's party, golf carts, etc... These things are nice especially in conjunction with a well run tournament, but this shouldn't make up for oversights above. The most frustrating thing in the world is hearing that you have to put up with deficiencies because the money is so good. 2 and 3 are far and away the easiest things to do while raising money and organizing the perks is way tougher.

Less changes - the most successful tournament in the world plays the exact same layout 4 days in a row. Moving pins is way overrated. There are far too few tournaments where you get a revenge round on the same layout. Don't overthink something that works. I hope that every time I go to West Lake whether I'm just stopping through or there for a tournament I get the same layout. Also, consistency from year to year is a nice thing especially if people like it. There are many flaws at Madrid, but it never changed and you knew exactly what you were going to get from year to year.
Clue

Postby AO » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:38 am

irban wrote:Big payout for the pros of course.

Thanks for the helpfull insight Mr. Obvious. My questions have all been answered. End of thread.
AO

Postby Cydisc » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:50 am

Do something that nobody else does. It seems like every tournament follows the same format as every other. One event will move baskets between rounds. Pretty soon everyone else does. Am prizes get bigger and bigger, along with the entry fees, across the board. On and on....

A smart gimmick will go a long way to attract players. Madrid comes to mind. The gimmick is the course itself. It's often referred to as circus golf, yet everyone in the state wants to play it.

Iowa Games is another. It's trophy-only (medals, actually), but it's inexpensive to enter. It's always been a popular tournament.
Cydisc

Postby Clue » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:52 am

AO wrote:Thanks for the helpfull insight Mr. Obvious. My questions have all been answered. End of thread.

Oh man, this is bullshit. I haven't even made fun of Greenwood's opinion yet.
Clue

Postby Buzzznation » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:03 pm

Clue wrote:3. Speed - This sort of falls into category 2, but this gets overlooked.

Totally agree. This is one of the things you here b*tched about the next day. Earlier start times is an easy solution. The worst of it being getting the awards ceremony going. I have never been a TD, but I know there is a lot that needs to be done and I appreciate that. However there are tournaments that get the awards done fast and there are those that don't. Nothing is worse than having a sh*tty day on the course and having to wait 2 hours for your ride to get his last cash.
Not to mention some of the most fun rounds I've had have been after tournaments where there was time to spare to play another round or course.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby Buzzznation » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:05 pm

I love having the option to buy lunch or have lunch delivered to the course.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby Clue » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:14 pm

Buzzznation wrote:I love having the option to buy lunch or have lunch delivered to the course.

Hy-Vee at the course is the nuts. Not having to get in the car at lunch is under appreciated. I suppose not having to get in the car all weekend doesn't suck either.
Clue

Postby irban » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:15 pm

Buzzznation wrote:Nothing is worse than having a sh*tty day on the course and having to wait 2 hours for your ride to get his last cash.

I figured out a solution to this years ago.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby irban » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:21 pm

Sometimes it's hard but doing everything you can to eliminate backups is great. Some holes just need spotters regardless. Backup holes can really get the finish times out of sync too; some groups get a 2 hour lunch while others get 1, delaying the second round start to boot.
~~~- ¥
irban

Postby irban » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:26 pm

People like to see the timeliness extend post tournment as well. Seems like one of the easiest things to do to leave a good impression is to get the scores turned in within a day or two.
~~~- ¥
irban

Next

Return to Stuff