Introduce yourself...

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Postby ghstinshll » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:13 pm

when you're out there playing solo, do't be afraid to talk to other players out there, and even play along. You'll learn a TON from playing w/ better players. We're usually open to offering tips, too.
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Like_Water » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:00 pm

you have to ask though. :wink:

Then prepare to listen, cuz we could go on for days :lol:
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:11 pm

OMG, what an opportunity for some more WE jokes. I'll pass this time. Ghost, when can I get a lesson? :lol:

oops. :lol:
GDL17921

Postby ghstinshll » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:27 pm

awesome... Nah, I recall a lesson or two from you, Jay. Besides, my lefty technique sux. :lol:

Tanner, good point on asking, because u never know if someone's playing a round to work on a certain shot, practicing, or leisurely gettin in a round.
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Like_Water » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:39 pm

My point is, I don't want to offer advice to people who don't want it. But I'm happy to give it when asked. It doesn't matter to me when really.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby javy16 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:48 pm

hey guys whats up. I'm Javier, u can call me javy if its easier for u. But yeah I'm new to the area. I use to live in Joliet , but now Im in the quad cities baby for college. I go to Augustana College located in Rock Island, IL. I have to say the courses around here are sick though, the ones ive played. Im really wanting to get in the scene here, so if u can help me out that would be greatly appreciated.

catch u guys later
javy16

Postby Sniper26 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:12 am

Good to see you on here Javy, welcome to the QC. For those of you who don't know Javy, this kid can play!
Sniper26

Postby karma27895 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:00 am

for sure dude welcome
www.ironliondgs.com
burns lawncare and snow removal
mcmanus pub n grub
karma27895

Postby JakeF » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:35 pm

Jake Frederick, 24. Born in Sterling, Illinois, but live in Waterloo and go to school at UNI. Playing for 5 years, competitively for less than one.
JakeF

Postby Buzzzed85 » Wed May 26, 2010 1:44 pm

What's up everyone. I've been on here for awhile and looked over this thread a couple times and haven't posted.

The name's Zach Moses but a lot of folks on the course just stick with Moses. Been playing for about 5 years now and competitively for about 8 months. My favorite disc is the Elite Z Flash. It was one of the first discs i ever bought and has been in my bag ever since. I've also developed a relationship with my Warlocks (we're pretty serious).

The best advice i've ever gotten is to putt daily (for as long as you can concentrate) and go throw in an open field. Learning how your discs fly in wind, rain, and calm days is CRUCIAL.

With all that said, Happy Frolfing ( i know this word pisses people off but it is what it is.) and i'll see you on the course.
All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man.
-Thoreau
-PROFLIGHT!
-Cyclone Disc Golf Club
Buzzzed85

Postby GDL17921 » Wed May 26, 2010 1:49 pm

Buzzzed85 wrote:What's up everyone. I've been on here for awhile and looked over this thread a couple times and haven't posted.

The name's Zach Moses but a lot of folks on the course just stick with Moses. Been playing for about 5 years now and competitively for about 8 months. My favorite disc is the Elite Z Flash. It was one of the first discs i ever bought and has been in my bag ever since. I've also developed a relationship with my Warlocks (we're pretty serious).

The best advice i've ever gotten is to putt daily (for as long as you can concentrate) and go throw in an open field. Learning how your discs fly in wind, rain, and calm days is CRUCIAL.

With all that said, Happy Frolfing ( i know this word pisses Corey off but it is what it is.) and i'll see you on the course.

fixed it for ya there Moses. :lol:
GDL17921

Postby Single L » Wed May 26, 2010 2:31 pm

I’m not the only one ........ :lol: :lol: :lol:

From the You know you’re a disc golfer when ..........
Bradbalk wrote:
Chase20460 wrote:
Eminem4president wrote:When you get freaking pissed when people say "Frolf"

WORD
I am so with you on that one. I get equally irritated by "Frisbee Golf" as well.

Checkout this thread ...... The entire thread is about the term Frolf ..... And to top it off a fellow Ames resident was the only one standing up for it(must be something in the water) ...... RIP Birdman

USA Today Article 12/6/06

Max D wrote:Frolf, anyone? Monterey to build disc golf course
Updated 12/6/2006 6:47 AM ET

MONTEREY, Calif. (AP) — The golfer's paradise of Monterey will soon be home to another standout: A 36-acre, 18-hole course replete with verdant trees, nearby retailers and misty mornings that warm to sunny afternoons.
But Don Dahvee Park won't compete against nearby icons such as Pebble Beach or Spanish Bay. Its patrons won't even use clubs.

Instead they'll use flying discs, according to the Monterey Herald. Because the discs look like Frisbees, the sport is sometimes called "Frolf."

The rules are similar to golf, but instead of little holes, players aim for metal baskets with hanging chains.

Situated between a burger joint and a shopping mall, the disc golf course could open as early as January, according to the Monterey Park and Recreation Commission.

Members of the Monterey Stinging Jellies Disc Golf Club say the free course will increase awareness about the sport, give families a new form of low-cost recreation and generate cash for nearby businesses.

It might also help improve safety by attracting people to the relatively desolate Don Dahvee Park.

Disc golf was popularized in California in the late '60s, when it was a favorite pastime on the grassy campus of the University of California, Berkeley. The university installed a permanent course in 1970.

One of the sport's biggest boosters was Edward "Steady Ed" Headrick, who worked for Wham-O Inc., maker of the Frisbee and the Hula Hoop. Headrick oversaw the construction of 800 disc golf courses in 20 countries

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Anyone else hate the word "Frolf"?

flyinplastic23 wrote:I was gonna post that i hated that even before i read your comment. I hate frolf, and i hate frisbee golf... its disc golf. Although i did crack up when i watched the Office last week and one of the newer characters exlaimed "I LOVE FROLFING!!!!"

grodney wrote:Timeline of an elightened frisbee golfer:
- Calls it Frisbee Golf because they don't know any better.
- Calls it Disc Golf, insistently, because they think they know better.
- Calls it frisbee golf.

Folf and Frolf are silly but charming, and are *very* accepted in some regions. Dolf is stupid.

(For those who don't know me personally, which is 98% of you, don't take the condescending and know-it-all tone very seriously.)

The Donator wrote:Yeah, i get soooo tired of people calling it "frolf." It's DISC GOLF!

Discwrangler wrote:Frisbee gets a free pass because Steady Ed was involved with it....

FROLF however is the worst Chucking word in the world....it should be banned. No offense Frolfking7!

Chase20460 wrote:I personally hate the term "frolf". For me it leaves the same distaste in my mouth that "town-ie" does when said by college students from somewhere else. Thats just me though.

It is a term I hear quite often at the shop, that and frisbee golf. Frisbee golf I dont mind as much, but also get tired of the whole "..but its not really a frisbee, its more of a disc" speech that comes after.

irban wrote:I never say frolf, and agree it is a stupid term and I hope it does not come back into general use.

z-man wrote:i think frolf sounds more like something at the top of my beer...

~namaste~

grodney wrote:I think frolf sounds like a Muppet.

Buzzznation wrote:I think frolf sounds like something that comes out of an *ss
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby Buzzzed85 » Wed May 26, 2010 2:46 pm

Corey i love that you hate this. It's like gasoline to the fire. But really, who the hell cares what you call it. As long as it's understood that it's the sport we all play and love it really shouldn't matter.
All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man.
-Thoreau
-PROFLIGHT!
-Cyclone Disc Golf Club
Buzzzed85

Postby rightcunnin » Wed May 26, 2010 3:58 pm

Buzzzed85 wrote:Corey i love that you hate this. It's like gasoline to the fire. But really, who the hell cares what you call it. As long as it's understood that it's the sport we all play and love it really shouldn't matter.

frolf = natty light drinking 12-some throwing every which way and leaving their cans all over the course and having little to no respect for the park, themselves, or anyone else.

It's the PDGA not the PFA

It's a disc, not a frisbee

Should we rename the other golf game bolf?
I'm sorry that the middle of my sentence interrupted the beginning of yours.
rightcunnin

Location: further out of my f-in mind than previously thought.

Postby The Donator » Wed May 26, 2010 4:11 pm

rightcunnin wrote:
Buzzzed85 wrote:Corey i love that you hate this. It's like gasoline to the fire. But really, who the hell cares what you call it. As long as it's understood that it's the sport we all play and love it really shouldn't matter.

frolf = natty light drinking 12-some throwing every which way and leaving their cans all over the course and having little to no respect for the park, themselves, or anyone else.

It's the PDGA not the PFA

It's a disc, not a frisbee

Should we rename the other golf game bolf?

For some reason reading/saying the word 'bolf' makes me laugh really, really, really hard.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

PreviousNext

Return to Stuff