Introduce yourself...

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Postby tboswell » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:49 pm

Thanks for the added advice, and solid explanation of the drivers, Porkchop. That totally explains why I've had longer distance and accuracy with my Roc and Aviar, than when throwing the Valkyrie. Just don't have the control or power for the faster drivers yet. Man, that's really going to limit the frustration once I start throwing on a course. THANK YOU!
Last edited by tboswell on Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tboswell

Postby tboswell » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:52 pm

The Donator wrote:Get a Polecat, it will be your secret weapon

Are you being serious? It looks and feels like a freaking hub cap!
tboswell

Postby robizm » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:54 pm

going to a soccer field (where I recommend) and just standing and throwing discs from one end to the other i a great way as well to work on your releases. I would take 2 soccer cones with me (since i coached and play) and put them in 2 spots as my 'targets' and throw back and forth to them.

Now that I can drive the whole field i just use the soccer goals as my target

8)
robizm

Postby tboswell » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:12 pm

robizm wrote:going to a soccer field (where I recommend) and just standing and throwing discs from one end to the other i a great way as well to work on your releases. I would take 2 soccer cones with me (since i coached and play) and put them in 2 spots as my 'targets' and throw back and forth to them.

Now that I can drive the whole field i just use the soccer goals as my target

8)

Hey Rob, Thanks for the tip! When I first got my discs, my intentions were to hit the Moline High School soccer field that is close to my house, but they now have it roped off and a pretty large "No Tresspassing" sign posted. Maybe it's always been there, but I swear i didn't see it until this summer. Thought that would be a great place to practice throws, but now I need to look elsewhere. Never thought about taking something to use as a target, so thanks for that!
tboswell

Postby KePP » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:23 am

Thanks for clarifying, Corey.

Another suggestion for when you throw in an open field is to use a mini marker. The mini is what you use to mark your lie after you've tee'd off. I've copied a snippet of the rules below, but basically your foot has to be within 30 cm (11.75" ~1 foot) directly behind the mini marker when you release your throw (once released, you may follow-through). This will be difficult to master while you are still working on your steps, which are likely to change as your game develops, but at least have the mini there and be aware of where your foot is when you're releasing. It's pretty tough at first. But build it into your game early. Something I read explained how practice doesn't make perfect, only perfect practice makes perfect. If you practice bad habits, they will become just that, bad habits.

www.pdga.com/rules wrote:803.03 Marking the Lie
A. After each throw, the thrown disc must be left where it came to rest until the lie is established by the placing of a marker. This can be done by placing a mini marker disc on the playing surface between the hole and the disc, directly in line with the hole, on the line of play, touching the thrown disc. A player may instead choose, without touching or repositioning the thrown disc, to use the thrown disc as the marker. The marker may not be moved until the throw is released. A marker inadvertently moved prior to the throw shall be returned to its correct location.

more...

www.pdga.com/rules wrote:803.04 Stance, Subsequent to Teeing Off
A. When the disc is released, a player must:
(1) Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the playing surface on the line of play and within 30 centimeters directly behind the marker disc (except as specified in 803.04 E); and,
(2) have no supporting point contact with the marker disc or any object closer to the hole than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,
(3) have all of his or her supporting points in-bounds.

B. Stepping past the marker disc is permitted after the disc is released, except when putting within 10 meters.

C. Any throw from within 10 meters or less, as measured from the rear of the marker disc to the base of the hole, is considered a putt. A follow-through after a putt that causes the thrower to make any supporting point contact closer to the hole than the rear edge of the marker disc constitutes a falling putt and is considered a stance violation. The player must demonstrate full control of balance before advancing toward the hole.

D. A player must choose the stance that will result in the least movement of any part of any obstacle that is a permanent or integral part of the course.

more...
KePP

Postby freburg36625 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:41 am

[/quote]Moline High School soccer field Not that I should give up my secrets but the field next to whiteys on 41st is huge and nobody minds if you throw there
freburg36625

Postby tboswell » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:50 am

KePP wrote:Another suggestion for when you throw in an open field is to use a mini marker.

I have a mini, but never thought about practicing this part of the release! Thanks for bringing that up because I've looked over the rules before, so I was aware of the lie, but didn't think about there being a learning process there. Speaking of which...

KePP wrote:This will be difficult to master while you are still working on your steps

I've done a lot of reading since I decided to pick up DG, and I've read about the x-step, and the different approaches, but what do you suggest for a beginner? Right now when I've been throwing, I've just been trying to get a good reach back, and transfering my weight from my back foot to the front on the release, without much movement in between. Am I hurting myself by not attempting a x-step, or is this something that takes time to develop as well?

Thanks again for the help!
tboswell

Postby tboswell » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:58 am

freburg36625 wrote:the field next to whiteys on 41st is huge and nobody minds if you throw there

Wow, I totally forgot about that field! Thanks for reminding me. Your secret is safe with me. :wink:
tboswell

Postby freburg36625 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:17 am

the x step is an important way of linking energy from your feet all the way to the disc. Is is not the only way but it is the most popular. The reason for the x step is to help get your hips and torso turned away from the release point, so your body can store up torsional energy all to be released at the hit point in the throw. It also helps to smooth the run up and link all the throwing motions together. Remember, slow is smooth and smooth is far.
freburg36625

Postby robizm » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:22 pm

Enough asking questions!! go throw those damn discs!! :oops:
robizm

Postby ghstinshll » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:18 pm

Right now when I've been throwing, I've just been trying to get a good reach back, and transfering my weight from my back foot to the front on the release,

Very good approach... The X Step will just mess up your release. You shouldn't have to wait long, but wait a little while til you can at least hit 100-150 w/ a consistent, controllable stand-n-deliver... Once you've figured out the basics of the throw, then you can work on the X step on the side & bring it in slowly to your game.

and I 2nd that motion - GO PLAY! It's FRIDAY! ;-)
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby tboswell » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:06 pm

robizm wrote:Enough asking questions!! go throw those damn discs!! :oops:

LOL! Now that I'm off work, that's where I'm headed. Have a good weekend Everyone!
tboswell

Postby tboswell » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:10 pm

ghstinshll wrote:
Very good approach... The X Step will just mess up your release. You shouldn't have to wait long, but wait a little while til you can at least hit 100-150 w/ a consistent, controllable stand-n-deliver... Once you've figured out the basics of the throw, then you can work on the X step on the side & bring it in slowly to your game.

and I 2nd that motion - GO PLAY! It's FRIDAY! ;-)

Thanks Ghost! I'm just starting to get comfortable with that approach, so before long I'll be adding the footwork. Just nice to hear that what I'm doing isn't a bad starting point. =)
tboswell

Postby ghstinshll » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:25 pm

sounds like you have the right mind for figuring it all out.
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby THansenite » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:53 pm

My name is Tony and I played disc golf for the first time last Thursday. My girlfriend's brother is big into it and he took me out. We played part of a round at WaterWorks. Since then, I've played 2 rounds at Centennial in Waukee (close to my apartment) and a round at Grandview. He hooked me up with a decent varity of discs.

I'm excited to learn how to control my discs more and I need a lot of work on putting. I just need more practice.

Hopefully, I'll be able to meet some of you guys as I slowly improve in this sport.
THansenite

PreviousNext

Return to Stuff