You got questions? Someone probably has the answer

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Postby irban » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:52 am

porkchop wrote:
SARG27044 wrote:i have the same problem, my t.v. has audio out but my recieever dosent have audio in :? so i have a reciever, speakers and sub that i cannot use

You have a jank ass receiver if it doesn't have RCA's. It should have an S-video port and so should your TV if seeing how you have a flat panel TV. S-Video is actually higher quality than RCA jacks.

Phuck S-video, it should have HDMI...

~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby The Donator » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:57 am

Who the F is Nick Strut?
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby Nick Strut » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:02 am

The Donator wrote:Who the F is Nick Strut?
Names Josh. I'm cold and bored. I live in QC. Who the F are you?
Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time.
Nick Strut

Postby Single L » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:06 am

irban wrote:
porkchop wrote:
SARG27044 wrote:i have the same problem, my t.v. has audio out but my recieever dosent have audio in :? so i have a reciever, speakers and sub that i cannot use

You have a jank ass receiver if it doesn't have RCA's. It should have an S-video port and so should your TV if seeing how you have a flat panel TV. S-Video is actually higher quality than RCA jacks.

Phuck S-video, it should have HDMI...

You are correct Sir S-Video is the middle of the road between RCA and HDMI. I have yet to purchase an HD TV so HDMI was off my radar at the time of post.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby grodney » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:08 am

irban, you are the man. I've got a closet-full of reasonable PC speakers at home. I can't believe they might work. I'll check the audio out again, for type and number. Thanks.
grodney

Postby SARG27044 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:10 am

i dont have an hdmi spot on my reciever. its brand new and i dont even remember if it has a digital output either(the one round plug)
SARG27044

Postby The Donator » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:19 am

Nick Strut wrote:

Names' Bob, live in Desoto, how the heck are ya?
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby irban » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:24 am

SARG27044 wrote:i dont have an hdmi spot on my reciever. its brand new and i dont even remember if it has a digital output either(the one round plug)

Actually, I'm not sure they have HDMI to audio out> I am still stuck in the 90s for most of this stuff.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby ghstinshll » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:38 am

porkchop wrote:

I believe that audio out might be a 1/8" mini jack? or is it RCA's (red &white). If it's a mini jack, then u need a mini to RCA Male cable to your stereo. It's how I run my entertainment off my PC that way. Games, DVDs, music, etc...
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby crazykrug » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:42 am

The Donator wrote:
Nick Strut wrote:

You are too funny there Lindsley :lol: :lol: :lol:
crazykrug

Postby mattmelcher » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:08 pm

More than likely it's the 5.1 digital audio output and it requires a special cable and a digital audio input on your receiver. If you dont have that you may be able to use the RCA or headphone outputs and powered computer speakers as others have described

porkchop wrote:
SARG27044 wrote:
i have the same problem, my t.v. has audio out but my recieever dosent have audio in so i have a reciever, speakers and sub that i cannot use

I believe that audio out might be a 1/8" mini jack? or is it RCA's (red &white). If it's a mini jack, then u need a mini to RCA Male cable to your stereo. It's how I run my entertainment off my PC that way. Games, DVDs, music, etc...

irban Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:24 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SARG27044 wrote:
i dont have an hdmi spot on my reciever. its brand new and i dont even remember if it has a digital output either(the one round plug)

Actually, I'm not sure they have HDMI to audio out> I am still stuck in the 90s for most of this stuff.

Makes it's own sauce when you add water...
mattmelcher

Postby SARG27044 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:15 pm

the reciever is brand new but it is a piece of shit. its just a simple 2 channel and i will have to upgrade sometime soon to a BA yamaha or something. its not really compatible with the new tech, im just waiting til something good goes on sale and i think it will work just fine afterwards. assuming my speakers still work when i get the new one. right now im running a passive( atleast i think this is right) system where the reciever goes to the sub and the sub connects the speakers!
SARG27044

Postby irban » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:19 pm

crazykrug wrote:
The Donator wrote:
Nick Strut wrote:

You are too funny there Lindsley :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great, now he knows his last name too.
~~~- ¥
irban

Postby irban » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:35 pm

mattmelcher wrote:More than likely it's the 5.1 digital audio output and it requires a special cable and a digital audio input on your receiver. If you dont have that you may be able to use the RCA or headphone outputs and powered computer speakers as others have described

Damn, I didn't think of this Rodney. If your tv is new and only has one output, it is probably digital(optical?). In that case, you can't use powered speakers that don't have a corresponding input, without running it through a digital analog converter. If they even have those, it would likely be nearly as inexpensive to buy the cheapest speakers with a digital input.

Sorry to get your hopes up dude.

EDIT:
Looking at a few Vizio specs on the internet and it looks like they usually have an analog audio output, and an optical digital audio output or only an analog output, so you may be ok.
~~~- ¥
irban

Postby grodney » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:04 pm

Yep, I have analog red and white rca-looking things. So you think I can get one of those splitter jobbies? Then plug my PC speakers into that? That would be schweetastic.

And, yes, there is also an optical digital audio out, which I'm not interested in if I don't have to be.
grodney

PreviousNext

Return to Stuff