Disc info help

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Disc info help

Postby Scott G » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:50 am

Im new to the sport and have read lots of posts and "whats in your bag" bios and dont understand some of the disc lingo. The most confussing is "1x, 2x, 10x..." on the rocs and other innova discs. I also read things about original molds and retools like the beast retool and dont know how to tell the difference. Any suggestions or help on where to find more info would be appreciated.

I think it would also be good to have a topic just for lost discs so if you lost one you could post to one spot and if you found one with just a name and no phone # you could post it. I have a freind that was in the parks and rec in des moines and found some discs and foung out that I play now and gave them to me. One has Olsons name and pdga # on it but no contact info and I have not met him but want to get him his disc back.

What do you think?

Scott G
Des Moines
PDGA # in the mail
DMDGC member since 11-06
Scott G

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:05 am

The 10X on the Rocs referrs to a run of KC (Ken Climo) plastic that was run after his 10th World Championship Title. If you look on E-bay, you'll occasionally see 8X's, 9X's, 10X's, that will go for big bucks, since they are not in production anymore, and are pretty well liked rocs. You will see 11X's still for not so high prices, and I'm guessing that eventually we'll see a 12X, since Kenny won his 12th world title this year. I doubt that it will be on the old KC plastic though.

As far as lost discs, and a thread, usually there is, or can be created, a thread under each course's discussion for lost discs found at that course. Sometimes discs can be hard to return, as not everyone puts phone numbers on them, or phone numbers change, etc. If you have a PDGA#, you can look up to see who that person is here:
http://www.pdga.com/members.php

Just enter their PDGA number in the "search current members by PDGA number". Then, you might get a clue as to who they actually are. The disc you have that says olsen with a pdga number might be AO's--he frequents this board, maybe send him a private message, so you guys can connect somehow.
GDL17921

Postby 10up » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:39 pm

and when you hear people talking about retool's and whatever, they are just talking about when the disc manufacturer tweaked the Mold's in some way.

I'll tell you one thing though... Being new, it is very easy to get sucked into the whole "it matters what you throw" side of the river. (i.e. "oh the old Pro-Line Beast Mold is far better than anything now... it's all I throw). When I first started, I'd hear and read all about CE plastic, the Old Pro-Line, 9x Aviars was a big one at that time. All these discs had been out of production for quite awhile... But I thought it was a great idea to fill my bag with $25 - $30 discs... I'm here to tell you, although the plastic is great, and the discs fly great, it isn't worth it, or even neccesarry. After all the money I put into it, do you know what I found my favorite drivers to be? F'n DX Valkyrie's... at 7 bucks a pop too. Everything you need is out right now, no need to go searching for something you won't be able to get.... Damn Gremlin's......
10up

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:56 pm

well said, and for somebody to tell you that you need an old mold of a disc when you are a new player is just plain retarded. Usually the people that seek out those high dollar discs, are people that started playing with them when they were readily available. Then, as they became less available, and they couldn't get them anymore, and they really wanted them, they became willing to pay more to keep throwing what they are used to.
GDL17921

Postby Cydisc » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:25 pm

For drivers, I usually go with what is hot in one year, that I like the feel of and has a consistent flight character. Then I buy a crapload of them. Once they run out, I look for the latest hot disc that feels good and flies well. Repeat as necessary.

Midrange... I've always thrown DX Roc.

Putters... I've thrown the 3x Aviar-x for a few years now. I bought a bunch at the outset and just haven't run out yet.
Cydisc

Postby grodney » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:27 pm

10up wrote:After all the money I put into it, do you know what I found my favorite drivers to be? F'n DX Valkyrie's... at 7 bucks a pop too.

It's like looking at a miniature version of myself. Man this is getting weird.
Last edited by grodney on Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
grodney

Postby Scott G » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:55 pm

Good info. So let me see if I have it right, the different x's are the number of times the person on a signature disc won a championship? So as long as the company doesn't change the plastic or the mold the x's don't mean anything. Right? Is there any good source of info on mold or plastic changes or do you just need to become familiar with the profile and feel of the plastic to tell the difference? I do understand that I need to work on my form more than worrying about the subtle disc differences, but I have the "want-to-know-everything-about-disc-golf" bug. :D
The only thing I have been told specifically about disc selection is to buy a shark, roc, and an avair. There are two different roc's that I know of and alot of different avairs. I think I have read something in a post about "big bead" avairs or something and I don't know what the big bead is all about.
That disc is Adam Olsons and I looked his number up on the PDGA site but didn't find any contact info. It did say he was in Davenport though. I just thought one place to post lost and found would be more simple.
Scott G

Postby 10up » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:08 am

There are a million different roc's and a million different Aviar's. A bead is the little bump at the very end of the bevel on a disc... so if you see a larger more circular rim at the bottom of the ridge it's a big bead, vs. Small bead, vs. No Bead.

right is beaded, left isn't.

Generally the larger the bead, the more stable the disc.

You can also go to DiscGolfReview.Com and look at Blake Takkunen's disc and plastic comparisons, if you actually want to listen to Blake Takkunen that is...
10up

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:22 am

Adam's handle on here is AO. You can contact him on here by sending him a PM.
GDL17921

Postby Buzzznation » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:06 am

You need to buy a Buzzz instead of a Roc :lol: for a mid range
Buzzznation

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:58 am

whatever works for ya. When the Buzz came out, I tried it, and was already throwing ROCs, so ultimately I decided that I didn't need it (the Buzz), it seemed pretty similar to me.

I'm changing my handle to ROCNATION! :lol:
GDL17921

Postby Birdman » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:31 am

man we should all just change our handles to our favorite or most used disc....WizardNation here i come...jk...ill stick with the king...i will say though that buzzznation and rocnation have a ring to them...

does anybody know where the info on removing a logo from a disc is located.
Last edited by Birdman on Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
The real excitement is playing the game.
Birdman

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:53 am

acetone is what you want to use. The foil will come right off.
GDL17921

Postby Birdman » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:03 pm

any tips when you apply it....the whole acetone thing makes sense....but i would like to save plastic and get rid of the misprint on the disc disc.
The real excitement is playing the game.
Birdman

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:14 pm

I've never done it myself, lemme see if I can find the thread you're looking for.
GDL17921

Next

Return to Stuff