Pierre Pierce- A free man

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Postby flyinplastic23 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:45 pm

its my opinion that Pierce should have been kicked off the team after the original charge, and the feeling of much of the campus at the time. I understand that coaches cant be with their players at all time, but you'd think that College athletes across the board could at least keep it together during the season. During my freshman year there were a number of athletes from the football team who were on probation of sorts for drinking and other issues.... these guys are college athletes... other students pay for their college! this is ridiculous, and i think more athletes should loose scholarships for such actions.
A person with great dreams can accomplish great things- Bob Rotella

Pionta Guinness, le do thoil
flyinplastic23

Postby The Donator » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:03 pm

flyinplastic23 wrote: During my freshman year there were a number of athletes from the football team who were on probation of sorts for drinking and other issues.... these guys are college athletes... other students pay for their college! this is ridiculous, and i think more athletes should loose scholarships for such actions.

This type of stuff goes on all the time. Ive been around quite a few well known athletes at after parties doing very naughty things. This goes on at every single college in the nation, every single weekend. If you think the amount that get caught is ridiculous, you should see the amount that dont. Things like this well never change, ever.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby Like_Water » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:04 pm

Unless the students wise up and dont' put up with it. Wait, this is America, no ones paying attention....Do whatcha like.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby KePP » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:51 pm

Everybody does that stuff (parties). Of course the guys at the top of the food chain are gonna (athletes). You could put a tag on any 'type' of person at a party and say 'their kind, they all party.' In this case the tag is on athletes. But partying and smackin hoes are two different things.
KePP

Postby Chase20460 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:10 am

KePP wrote: But partying and smackin hoes are two different things.

Depends on how you party.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby flyinplastic23 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:15 am

no of course it happens and i am not denying it, but the fact that we "normal" non-scholarship students pay their tuition so that they can drive under the influence, commit assault and burglary, sex crimes, and then watch their coaches try to get them off, IS NOT RIGHT! Shouldn't college athletes be held to a higher standard of behavior?

Like I said I understand that they cant be under watch at all time, but when they do commit these crimes, boot their arses. Our athletic programs might suffer, but it sets a higher standard for college athletes, one that universities should be willing to set. Students can get kicked out of school for plagiarism, but student-athletes who are sex offenders... they suffer a short probation and then are welcomed back to the team, while ESPN talks about what a season the "hawks" would have had if only Pierre Pierce was there (like he is some hero). (THIS EXAMPLE FROM HIS FIRST RUN IN).

I know most college students party, some have their run ins with the law, but these students are held to the rule of law, while other student-athletes who wear their University's name bright across their chest on national television, representing their school, fellow students, professors, and their state, are given the easy road... because the are athletes.

I know this is a debate that goes on even in high school, that athletes get preferential treatment, and they do... but the same still applies... Athletes should suffer the same if not worse punishments, because they are sent forward to represent the schools. If i were to have gotten caught drinking, I would expect to get kicked off the team, as apposed to a suspension from 3 games. All the more reason not to drink. Coaches should demand responsibility and respect. I know I would have been scared to upset my coaches, in many cases, coaches get more respect and have more of an impact than that of teachers, because athletics for the most part are something that the student wishes to participate. Not so many want to participate in history :) I of course am not knocking teachers, but you should see the reactions when my players are approached by me about their grades.

sorry this is long. i guess i have an opinion?!
Last edited by flyinplastic23 on Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

flyinplastic23

Postby MDR_3000 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:41 am

The athletes make a lot of money for the school. I say let them have free reign.
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Postby flyinplastic23 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:46 am

MDR_3000 wrote:The athletes make a lot of money for the school. I say let them have free reign.

and we paid their way in to school.

flyinplastic23

Postby MDR_3000 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:48 am

flyinplastic23 wrote:
MDR_3000 wrote:The athletes make a lot of money for the school. I say let them have free reign.

and we paid their way in to school.

So, none of it is from the money they bring in?
MDR_3000

Postby flyinplastic23 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:50 am

of course some of the money that athletics bring in goes back to athletics, but a part of our tuition goes to student scholarships...

flyinplastic23

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:56 am

so, you made the choice to go to a school that takes dough out of your tuition for that. You could've gone somewhere that doesn't do that. A lot of schools rely on alumni and grants for scholarships.

And, if it weren't for high profile athletes and athletic programs bringing money in, there wouldn't be any lame programs like girls softball. :lol: :o :twisted:
GDL17921

Postby flyinplastic23 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:05 am

i have no problem with my money going to support athletics, but i have a problem with athletes who are commiting crimes and being allowed to stay on the team. I think that is reasonable?!

High profile athletes are great, and of course I am thankful that women get to be college athletes too. I am not arguing against athletes, I am arguing against the ones who are breaking the law.

flyinplastic23

Postby MDR_3000 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:13 am

It's no different than a woman getting out of a ticket because she's a woman. Fair? No. Deal with it? Yes.

But that's just the way things go....in Aaaaaalbuquerque.
MDR_3000

Postby IHearChains » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:31 pm

a part of our tuition goes to student scholarships

Student scholarships maybe...but athletic scholarships, no. The Iowa athletic program runs in the black. Tuition does not pay for athletic scholarships.

i have a problem with athletes who are commiting crimes and being allowed to stay on the team

Wasn't he kicked off the team?

There are bad apples in every segment of society. Pierre Pierce was an athlete, so what. He went to prison, as he should have.
IHearChains

Postby The Donator » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:59 pm

Nice post, case closed.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

PreviousNext

Return to Stuff