This explains a lot.

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Postby Cydisc » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:48 am

irban wrote:Hell, we may have even avoided 9-11.

When did you become Al Gore's proctologist?
Cydisc

Postby irban » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:12 am

cydisc11895 wrote:
irban wrote:Hell, we may have even avoided 9-11.

When did you become Al Gore's proctologist?

Al and I are procto buddies from way back.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby 10up » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:30 am

Brian, you can't make points based solely on hypotheticals. I'm not really on the Gore train, nor the Bush (or anti-Bush for that matter). So, that being said I really don't know why I'm posting in this thread. However, I feel inclined to point out that as much "propaganda" as has been laid one way, there is and will always be just as much to counter.

Think if Gore had taken office after he won in 02. Besides having a head start on climate issues, we would not be in Iraq, we would not be fighting for our Constitution, and we would not be even discussing torture, no pre-emptive war, no Abu Ghraib, no Gitmo, no extraordinary rendition, no warrant-less wiretapping, no signing statements, no arrogance.

Hell, we may have even avoided 9-11. Gore would not have had to make a big show of disregarding all existing initiatives, and might have heeded some of the warnings about Al Quaida.

That entire statement is fundamentally "off" because it's based on a hypothetical. Not just any hypothetical either, it's the famed "What if" argument that can sound really interesting and support anybody's argument but cannot be proved, documented, or even put into some type of graphing aid device, because it has absolutely no basis in reality. I'll spare you all the million different "what ifs" I was going to type out to prove an inarguable point.

I couldn't really give Chuck all about Gore winning the Peace Prize. I suppose enough other people do though, so if it has effected their lives, congratulations. What I do care about is the systematic degeneration of individuality by political campaigns. The front runner is going to emerge eventually and invariably the media is going to get on board and start printing stories full of bias "propaganda" (sometimes very much like the above quote, sometimes more latent). Once this happens (even right now to a certain extent) one can sit back and recognize the true genius of Ivan Pavlov. The flock mentality sets in. People, most with absolutely no rhyme or reason above a sign they saw that "looked pretty", jump headlong into these things. Its sickening to think that most of the people at least I meet on a day to day basis sound like they get most of their political ideals from Good Morning America. What's even worse is they might actually freak out if you disagree with what Jay Leno said about Barack or Hillary or Fred or Mittens or "insert any other inconsequential figurehead of the capitalist machine"

No I'm sorry, the problem isn't just ole' GW. Admittedly he's probably the biggest idiot to ever hold office. But it's the collective stupidity of the American population that put him there. In all honesty though, you can't blame the people either. People are inherently... how do you say? Lacking intelligence. But beware the sources of information. If you fear anything at all fear globalization and the loss of the meaning of life. It's being taken away from everyone and replaced by a News Corporation's idea of what they think will make you feel important. Neither the liberals or conservatives will give it back. No matter what anybody tells you.
Last edited by 10up on Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby irban » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:50 am

I agree this was all my opinion. Sometimes you put your opinion out there to see what you can do to influence people. Hypotheticals are an important part of discourse.

As with anything, presented as hypothetical or not, you have to decide what to believe based on facts and your own intelligence. That is the main thrust of my comments, quit going along like a lemming.

I think the comments in my hypothetical, sum up what is truly going on when Gore is disparaged in the media, mis-direction and obfiscation. The fact that that strategy is used by everyone, does not change that.

The machine is corrupt on both sides. That is the reason to discuss it and try to right it.
Last edited by irban on Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby 10up » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:52 am

I have fundamental issues with marketing too :wink:
10up

Postby irban » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:03 pm

As a last word, I can't think of any hypothetical worse than the perfect storm of an immoral, inept, cronyistic, arrogant, corrupt, sadistic, lawless excuse for an adminstration we have been burdened with since 2002.
~~~- ¥
irban

Postby 10up » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:07 pm

I can:

How about a perfect storm of an immoral, inept, cronyistic, arrogant, corrupt, sadistic, lawless excuse for an adminstration with a rabid ferret.
10up

Postby irban » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:16 pm

I guess you're right. But I bet Iraq would not have even been on the ferret's radar.
~~~- ¥
irban

Postby 10up » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:18 pm

it's hard to say, you can never tell with these hypotheticals...
10up

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:20 pm

10up wrote:No I'm sorry, the problem isn't just ole' GW. Admittedly he's probably the biggest idiot to ever hold office. But it's the collective stupidity of the American population that put him there.

Man, and to think I thought that it was the collective collaboration of a state's gov't led by none other than GW's brother.
GDL17921

Postby 10up » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:23 pm

and Roswell too eh? There *may* have been some extra-terrestrial influence is all I'm saying.......... ... . .. . . . .. . . . . . .. . . :roll:
10up

Postby 10up » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:29 pm

and just to clarify, I was trying to convey the idea that there is something wrong with the machine, not the person driving it.

To speak metaphorically: It's like a stupid f'n woman driving an expedition. She has absolutely no business behind the wheel but the truck presents the bigger problem.
10up

Postby O_D » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:46 pm

Yikes, glad I could keep this thing fired up with the Gore comment. I really don't dislike the guy, just think he is still a politician and take is actions with a grain of salt. There are a lot of people who have been actually living and doing what the preech, and Gore isn't one of them.

Good point on who gets the Peace Prize. Unfortunately, I think more people have been turned on to the green scene by watching Ed Bagley JR on "Living with Ed" on HGTV than have been by Gore's video, but hey what do I know.

I really don't see him being "disparraged by the media" anymore, its more like "blown by the media" these days. I really don't dislike the guy and hope he decides to run. Seems to be much more qualified than the current candidates. I'm somewhat in the "green" business so the more people who decide to save some energy, the more support we get for our projects.

As my original post tried to point out. Theres a cool shown on IPTV at 8:00 tonight, you should set your DVR.
Calmer than you are.
O_D

Postby irban » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:21 pm

Yep, sorry O D. You got in the way of my relentless zeal for teeing up on GWtf.
~~~- ¥
irban

Postby dx pete » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:24 pm

you guys forgot some stuff, we need more dems in office to shed some more light on those darn Armenians. And hopefully Bush turns it around and signs the SCHIP so that we have a foot in the door for socialized healthcare when Hillary gets there. Think of the children! The 5k of seed money she will give to every child at birth isnt much, but its better than that stupid republican plan of privatizing social security! GORE RULES! The nerve of that judge in the liberal rich UK, making schools disclose at least 11 lies and/or misrepresentations in the Inconvenient Truth to students before they watch it. Not here! Rank and file indoctrinated footsoldiers are we! Hail big government! If my capital gains tax isnt over 25% after the election, I'm gonna, gonna, drive a vehicle powered purely by blood oil! (for a day) And Hillary, please please fire all the U.S. attourneys at once like slick Willy did! Bush is a pussy and only fired 8. I want my justice system modeled after the 9th circuit court. Make Jesse MacBeth the secretary of defense, and put the Frost family in charge of the treasury! wahoooo. :D :D :D :D :D

sorry didnt have much time to type, gotta get supper ready
opulence, I has it.
dx pete

PreviousNext

Return to Stuff