This explains a lot.

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Re: This explains a lot.

Postby Bugslayer » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:35 pm

was just reading about a newly found oils spill in North Dakota, 20,000 barrels of crude spilled into the ground, found by accident, the oil company had no clue! The very reason I am against the Keystone going thru the aquifers! That got me wondering so I did a little research, it seems Koch Brothers own the oil rights to 2220,000 acres of oils sands....been involved in Canadian oil for 50 years! They're not sure if they will exploit these right or lease them out....bet that depends on if they can get the Keystone passed :x One of the GOPs MAJOR talking points! Talk about bought and paid for!
A mind is like a parachute.....it doesn't work if it isn't open!

Frank Zappa
Bugslayer

Postby grodney » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:38 am

Fast food workers receive $7 billion per year in (taxpayer-funded) public assistance (medicaid, food stamps, earned income tax credit, etc).

Meanwhile, the top 7 fast food companies made profits of $7.4 billion last year.

http://sandiegofreepress.org/2013/10/ho ... subsidies/

"McDonald’s workers received $1.2 billion in public assistance while the corporation netted $5.5 billion in Fiscal Year 2012 profits, and devoted $5.5 billion to dividends and stock buybacks."
grodney

Postby irban » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:05 am

grodney wrote:Fast food workers receive $7 billion per year in (taxpayer-funded) public assistance (medicaid, food stamps, earned income tax credit, etc).

Meanwhile, the top 7 fast food companies made profits of $7.4 billion last year.

http://sandiegofreepress.org/2013/10/ho ... subsidies/

"McDonald’s workers received $1.2 billion in public assistance while the corporation netted $5.5 billion in Fiscal Year 2012 profits, and devoted $5.5 billion to dividends and stock buybacks."

This is the main argument for minimum wage. Malwart and others are fat and happy paying subsistence wages, while the taxpayer foots the bill to bring those workers the rest of the way up to the poverty line. Worse when unemployment is so high.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby grodney » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:24 am

Pretty sweet business model when I can get taxpayers to up my profits by 1.2 bil.
grodney

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:06 pm

I remember reading somewhere a while back that Walmart used to (maybe still does) offer programs for their employees to train them on how to file for assistance.
GDL17921

Postby 10up » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:23 pm

have you guys heard the one about how the NFL uses taxes to build their stadiums no one wants to go to?

stop blaming the companies for societies problem.
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby grodney » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:54 pm

*society's

Let me guess -- public education.
grodney

Postby Bugslayer » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:50 am

but we have recently discovered that companies are people too, and money equals speech! Big business stopped the shutdown! The Koch brothers made their opinion known, wall street also was chirping in their ear, and they magically fold up their tents? THAT is the influence that big business wields, they OWN the GOP! So yes....I believe we can lay some of the blame at big business :shock:

Society started going sour in the Reagan years, when being a Yuppie became in. It became cool to be upwardly mobile, or at least look like you were. It became far more important to be rich than to be happy! In the 60s it was important to be an individual, in the 70s it was all about being happy.....in the 80s it was all about getting rich, no matter the cost....."Greed is good"! not surprisingly this was also the high tide of the GOP movement....we are seeing a social readjustment

Frank Zappa
Bugslayer

Postby O_D » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:56 am

Wow - Big Business = BAD...Got it.

EVERY Politician is Owned. Not just Republicans.

Don't like the way a business treats their employees? Or how they EARN a profit. Or how they keep costs down on the goods you need or want to purchase >>>>>> Don't give them your money and don't work for them.
Calmer than you are.
O_D

Postby irban » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:41 am

O_D wrote:Wow - Big Business = BAD...Got it.

EVERY Politician is Owned. Not just Republicans.

Don't like the way a business treats their employees? Or how they EARN a profit. Or how they keep costs down on the goods you need or want to purchase >>>>>> Don't give them your money and don't work for them.

I don't think anyone is saying big business is bad. Only that capitalism is somewhat sociopathic. The decisions made are not always in the best interest of the population. To me, one of the main functions of government is to reign in the excesses of capitalism, via environmental protections, anti-trust laws, etc. By it's nature capitalism will try to minimize any regulation as an impediment to profit and growth, regardless of the long term impact to society as a whole. I think Bug's point is that capitalism also has greater resources to overcome those impediments. Who is standing up for the environment and the little guy like you and me?
Last edited by irban on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Bugslayer » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:54 am

Irban you are dead on! Is big business bad? not entirely, it depends on how it operates.
When you scratch these government hating folk what you see is they hate regulatory agencies that stop the various big businesses from butt-raping us! Somehow they think that if the FDA, EPA, Osha wasn't there, that businesses would sell their product cheaper...ROTFL, they wouldn't! they would charge the same because you are used to it, and run up their profit margins! Take the entire California Energy Manipulation thing back in 2000....Bush's buddy bent the entire state over..... no qualms at all!

The thing to ask yourselves is WHY did big business start funding the Tea Party in the first place? Because they like old outfits and funny hats? No.....they saw a new way to try and beat back the regulations that prohibit them from doing business the way they want to. Now that the movement is going it doesn't seem to do EXACTLY what its financiers want, the financiers (IE The Koch Bros.) showed them just where the power lies.....shutdown over! :lol:

What is the future of the Tea Party? Do they show the testicular fortitude to strike out on their own like the Green Party did? They were the radical side of the Democratic party and when the regular Dems wouldn't push to their extremes they had the balls to step off and create their own independent party.......my question is, does the Tea Party have the sack to do the same thing?
Or will you just shut up and get to the back of the bus with the Log Cabin Republicans?

Gut check time for the Tea Party....will you pack up your funny hats and backward political ideas and go home? or will you step up and out and continue the fight on your own?

Frank Zappa
Bugslayer

Postby tufluk » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:43 am

Not!
tufluk

Postby irban » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:05 am

I'd welcome a teabag third party. For the repubs on a national level it would be Nader-2000 on steroids for the forseeable future. In fact it is kind of like that now.
~~~- ¥
irban

Postby Bugslayer » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:11 pm

Not?

Not got the balls to start their own party?

Not going to get to the back of the GOP bus?

Not going to get rid of their funny hats and backward political views?

Not going to be politically relevant?

Geez which NOT is it Tuf? Or is it that you haven't been "told" yet :oops: :oops:

Frank Zappa
Bugslayer

Postby tufluk » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:59 am

No.
No.
No.
Yes.

Come on, do you know how long it's been since ANYONE "told" me to do ANYTHING and I did it????

If you ever hear me say, "How high?", it's likely not in response to the command,"Jump!".
tufluk

PreviousNext

Return to Stuff