This explains a lot.

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Re: This explains a lot.

Postby irban » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:19 am

Here's a breakdown of Neils demographics:

1. Shirt color:
Bushwhacker league nights:
Dark Pink 25%
Light Pink 30%
Hot Pink 40%
Other 5%

2. Throwing performance:
Bushwhacker league nights:
Meh 25%
Girl Like 55%
Short 15%
Other 5%

I'll extrapolate that Neils' shirt demographic precludes him from throwing far. If you expect him to have Bushwhacker throw performance of say, Sarge or Lindsley who wear normal shirts, you are crazier than I. Nuff said.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby IHearChains » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:48 pm

Too bad it's getting lost in all the squabbling, but tufluk raised a very fair point.

"My point is that the use of select countries to showcase their success in solving a problem may not work elsewhere."

Whoever suggests another country as a model for the U.S. is the one doing the extrapolating, and it's that person who bears the burden of demonstrating feasibility.
IHearChains

Postby 10up » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:57 pm

IHearChains wrote:Too bad it's getting lost in all the squabbling, but tufluk raised a very fair point.

"My point is that the use of select countries to showcase their success in solving a problem may not work elsewhere."

Whoever suggests another country as a model for the U.S. is the one doing the extrapolating, and it's that person who bears the burden of demonstrating feasibility.

except that wasn't his point. You're right though, it is a very fair point. But then again... he is the one that posted the comparison in the first place...
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby irban » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:19 pm

Yes. And really the point isn't, "we should do what those other countries are doing." as much as it is, "what will work in our country to have health outcomes more in line with other first world countries?" Our current system is horribly inefficient. Are we smart enough to correct that? Affordable Care Act is already having a positive impact. Hopefully, that trend will continue.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby IHearChains » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:40 pm

10up wrote:he is the one that posted the comparison in the first place...

irban wrote:The Secretary of Explaining Stuff weighs in on the Affordable Care Act....

The former president noted that America is first “by a country mile” in the share of gross domestic product we spend on health care, at 17.9 percent. Yet our results are somewhere around 25th — at best — in the world.

"if we could reduce that share to the 12 percent of GDP Switzerland and the Netherlands devote to health care... the difference is a trillion dollars a year."

This preceded tufluk.
Last edited by IHearChains on Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
IHearChains

Postby Bugslayer » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:45 pm

as it should! The bottom line is this people....we pay the most and we get about the 25th best results doing it. Now it may just be that these other nations (not just the Swiss and the Dutch) are doing things better than us? Or is it that they are just smarter than us? or as was presented is it because of the racial purity of these countries that they achieve their results? Brat eating beer drinking germans are inherently healthier due to racial purity? ROTFL maybe we should look into how they are achieving this huh?

The American healthcare system works for everyone EXCEPT the American public! Insurance companies have become huge stock conglomerates, doctors are richer per capita than at any other time in history, hospitals are making money hand over fist as are the drug companies! Medical billing companies, home health agencies! yeah...... everyone is making a big buck off of the healthcare system....MY BUCK! Whose hand was on the bucket the entire time it was going to hell? I remember Clinton trying to reform healthcare and I remember who shot it down....the same ones squealing about it now! Funny...many of those GOP guys are doctors, why would they be against health care reformation?....see bank account and current job! :oops:
A mind is like a parachute.....it doesn't work if it isn't open!

Frank Zappa
Bugslayer

Postby 10up » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:31 am

IHearChains wrote:
irban wrote:he is the one that posted the comparison in the first place...

irban wrote:The Secretary of Explaining Stuff weighs in on the Affordable Care Act....

The former president noted that America is first “by a country mile” in the share of gross domestic product we spend on health care, at 17.9 percent. Yet our results are somewhere around 25th — at best — in the world.

"if we could reduce that share to the 12 percent of GDP Switzerland and the Netherlands devote to health care... the difference is a trillion dollars a year."

This preceded tufluk.

That isn't a comparison or statement about ethnicity at all is it? Looks like a pretty innocuous post highlighting the disparity between the United States' perception and the reality that is the rest of the modern world. So I don't really get what you're trying to prove? Does posting something that sets off a racist put you in the wrong too? Careful I guess Brian..

or wait.. are you saying that we shouldn't condemn blatant hatred and instead look for the 1 sentence in 50 where a shred of coherency, or decency, may exist and focus on that instead?
10up

Postby IHearChains » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:42 am

10up wrote:
IHearChains wrote:
10up wrote:he is the one that posted the comparison in the first place...

This preceded tufluk.

That isn't a comparison or statement about ethnicity at all is it? Looks like a pretty innocuous post highlighting the disparity between the United States' perception and the reality that is the rest of the modern world. So I don't really get what you're trying to prove? Does posting something that sets off a racist put you in the wrong too? Careful I guess Brian..

or wait.. are you saying that we shouldn't condemn blatant hatred and instead look for the 1 sentence in 50 where a shred of coherency, or decency, may exist and focus on that instead?

You should condemn blatant hatred whenever you see it. Now, to the real point. Why choose Switzerland and the Netherlands? Why do you consider those models feasible for us to achieve?
IHearChains

Postby irban » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:00 am

High on the list of percentage of GDP spent on health care, that is why. You want to look at success to see if there is anything to emulate right? And really it is just a metric for comparison, not necessarily saying we should do the same. In fact we have a plan in place; Clinton's point is that we need to execute that plan, and may need to make corrections as we go along to increase the effectiveness. Hard to do in the face of obstructionist repubs who don't give a shit about anything but ideology.
~~~- ¥
irban

Postby 10up » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:19 am

yeah I'm not real sure if anyone said "look at Sweden and do what they do"

I, personally, don't have any opinion on the specifics of the GDP statistics, who we should or should not emulate, or even what considerations should be taken into account when comparing.

All I was doing was condemning the racist troll tufluk when the following occured:

Brian: Hey look here's an article where Bill Simmons said the Bulls are the greatest team on the planet. But if you look at the actual numbers, field goal percentage, free throws, etc?

It turns out it's really the Heat and the Nuggets on top.

Tufluk: The Heat and Nuggets are made up entirely of black players so this is obviously slanted.

That is all I really have to say on the matter. Disagree if you want to, but that's what happened.
10up

Postby IHearChains » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:48 am

irban wrote:High on the list of percentage of GDP spent on health care, that is why. You want to look at success to see if there is anything to emulate right? And really it is just a metric for comparison, not necessarily saying we should do the same. In fact we have a plan in place; Clinton's point is that we need to execute that plan, and may need to make corrections as we go along to increase the effectiveness. Hard to do in the face of obstructionist repubs who don't give a shit about anything but ideology.

We're looking to emulate their success, but not saying we should do the same.

If we want to emulate their success, why wouldn't we do EXACTLY what they're doing?
IHearChains

Postby irban » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:21 pm

Because they're much more racially homogenous. Consequently their solutions would never work here in our country.

Actually, I wish we had gone more toward the type of system they have. Single payer would resolve a ton of issues. But we barely squeaked through with what we got, so we'll have to make the best of it. It's working pretty well in Massachusetts, so it isn't a bad model per se.
~~~- ¥
irban

Postby grodney » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:28 pm

Liberal: "Wow, our country spends shittons on health care but we get pretty crappy healthcare. Imagine the savings if we spent the % of GDP that other countries do. Now that's something to strive for. So how can we save that money? Well, we shouldn't cut care -- cripes -- ours is already bad in comparison. Hmmmm, let's look at what they're doing that seems to be working for them (remember, they have better care for less cost). Will everything they're doing work here? Probably not. Can we get some ideas to try? Certainly."

Conservative: "We're doin' pretty good. 'Murca!"
grodney

Postby IHearChains » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:07 pm

grodney wrote:Will everything they're doing work here? Probably not.

Why not?
IHearChains

Postby Bugslayer » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:16 am

Because the big pharm and insurance companies have paid off the GOP!
A mind is like a parachute.....it doesn't work if it isn't open!

Frank Zappa
Bugslayer

PreviousNext

Return to Stuff