This explains a lot.

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Re: This explains a lot.

Postby irban » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:29 am

Way to go Chad. The repubs in Iowa, and many places, are dominated by a hateful right wing contingent that refuses to allow progress. They are the traitors to this country IMO.

no longer able to tolerate the GOP's radicalism, "hateful" rhetoric, and "war on science and common sense"
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby irban » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:29 pm

~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby irban » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:29 am

~~~- ¥
irban

Postby Bugslayer » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:31 pm

Awesome! Trump gets busted bilking the stupid out of dough, and somehow it is Obamas fault? ROTFL...I wonder what Obama did to make Trumps hair look like that, because of course it is his fault for anything that happens! :roll:
A mind is like a parachute.....it doesn't work if it isn't open!

Frank Zappa
Bugslayer

Postby irban » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:44 am

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon." Bill Clinton, 08/28/2013
~~~- ¥
irban

Postby tufluk » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:36 pm

Just because Clnton said that, doesn't make it true. Here in IL, one must apply for an FOID card, wait for a background check, fill out federal yellow form, then have dealer call the federal "insta check" number. If approved, you can pick up weapon after the 24-72 hour waiting period. If you want to vote, get registered while you wait for your license at DMV, then go vote as many times as you want. Oh, and I need a photo ID for the gun, not to vote.
tufluk

Postby irban » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:10 pm

tufluk wrote:Just because Clnton said that, doesn't make it true. Here in IL, one must apply for an FOID card, wait for a background check, fill out federal yellow form, then have dealer call the federal "insta check" number. If approved, you can pick up weapon after the 24-72 hour waiting period. If you want to vote, get registered while you wait for your license at DMV, then go vote as many times as you want. Oh, and I need a photo ID for the gun, not to vote.

Under the terms of the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986... individuals "not engaged in the business" of dealing firearms, or who only make "occasional" sales within their state of residence, are under no requirement to conduct background checks on purchasers or maintain records of sale (although even private sellers are forbidden under federal law from selling firearms to persons they have reason to believe are felons or otherwise prohibited from purchasing firearms).

He was not saying it is that way yet in all states, by the way. He was referring specifically to voter suppression schemes that have been popping up over the last year or two. (miniscule to no evidence of voter fraud to justify these actions, and most would not help stop fraud anyway, so obviously meant to suppress certain populations. ) Go Eric Holder!

tufluk wrote:then go vote as many times as you want..
I assume you mean, vote in all elections, not vote multiple times. Don't they have voter lists with a checkoff in Illinois? They do here; if I tried to vote twice they would stop me cold.
~~~- ¥
irban

Postby Bugslayer » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:28 pm

No he means multiple times...we have Chicago where you can vote years after you're dead! :shock:

Frank Zappa
Bugslayer

Postby irban » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:25 pm

The Secretary of Explaining Stuff weighs in on the Affordable Care Act....

The former president noted that America is first “by a country mile” in the share of gross domestic product we spend on health care, at 17.9 percent. Yet our results are somewhere around 25th — at best — in the world.

"if we could reduce that share to the 12 percent of GDP Switzerland and the Netherlands devote to health care... the difference is a trillion dollars a year."
~~~- ¥
irban

Postby tufluk » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:23 pm

If you think the population demographics in Switzerland and the United States are comparable, and policies that work there will work here, you are crazier than I.
I'm sure you're aware of the high percentage of firearms ownership in Switzerland, including real, selective fire assault weapons. There is also a low rate of gun violence.
The reason that their health care costs are low, are the same reason their violence rates are low.

Here's a breakdown of Swiss demographics:
1. Ethnic divisions:
Total population:
German 65%
French 18%
Italian 10%
Romansh 1%
Other 6%
Swiss Nationals only:
German 74%
French 20%
Italian 4%
Romansh 1%
Other 1%

Netherlands:
Ethnic groups: Over 81,7% of the population are Dutch (Germanic and Gallo-Celtic stock), other 18,3% (of which 9% are non-western origin mainly Turks, Moroccans, Antilleans, Surinamese and Indonesians) (1999 est.)

That ain't the same as the good, old USA. "Nuff said!"

"I've got a beagle and a pit bull. People are scared of one, but not the other. Can't figure it out. Irban
tufluk

Postby Bugslayer » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:45 pm

Indeed Tuf there is a very large percentage of the swiss who have firearms in their home, due mainly to the fact that there is mandatory national guard membership to all males 18-65. They are allowed to take their weapons home with them.
You seem to think much their healthcare and violence stats stem from their racial makeup? Germans? Really? piss poor diet and creator of 2 world wars and the holocaust? Europe has been at war perpetually for hundreds of years, and the races that make up Switzerland is the cause of most of them!

I wouldn't bring up race and the "good old USA"....those good old boys of white persuasion...you know French-German-English, lied, stole, cheated and then killed the inhabitants of this land. We followed that up by enslaving a race to build the southern states, then cheated Mexico out of half of their land treating the inhabitants of the land like slaves. We imported the Chinese to build our railroads treating them little better than slaves. We should be extremely proud of our history of racial equality :roll:

Frank Zappa
Bugslayer

Postby Bugslayer » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:53 pm

So I'm confused Tuf! are you saying socialized medicine works better in those 2 countries because of a larger percentage of white people? So that makes you in favor of Obama care but only for white people :shock:

Frank Zappa
Bugslayer

Postby grodney » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:34 am

Well looky here, the racist rears his ugly head again.
grodney

Postby tufluk » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:31 pm

I just printed stats, you guys use them any way you like. What will work in Japan may not work in Afghanistan. My point is that the use of select countries to showcase their success in solving a problem may not work elsewhere. Whatever you might say, America doesn't have a homogenous population. Many nations do.
tufluk

Postby tufluk » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:32 pm

Bugslayer wrote:So I'm confused Tuf! are you saying socialized medicine works better in those 2 countries because of a larger percentage of white people? So that makes you in favor of Obama care but only for white people :shock:

I'm not in favor of socialized medicine for anyone. :shock:
tufluk

PreviousNext

Return to Stuff