Need suggestions for QC area courses to play on

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:43 pm

part of the fun of playing a new course, no? :wink:
GDL17921

Postby Chase20460 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:55 pm

Haplo wrote:
K.C. wrote:Plus, Camden is beginner friendly. If you can find hole #1 - you can find every other hole pretty darn easy. The lay-out doesn't leave many questions as to where to go.

That's good - When first playing Richmond Hill, I needed help finding hole #3 and there are a couple other non-obvious targets like 9, 12 (hidden) and 10 (up the hill :shock: ).

The only problems at Camden are locating some of the Pro Tees. Hole 6 is long and straight, past the bridge and on the right. Then you backtrack back to the Tee for seven.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby Haplo » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:26 pm

Chase20460 wrote:
Haplo wrote:
K.C. wrote:Plus, Camden is beginner friendly. If you can find hole #1 - you can find every other hole pretty darn easy. The lay-out doesn't leave many questions as to where to go.

That's good - When first playing Richmond Hill, I needed help finding hole #3 and there are a couple other non-obvious targets like 9, 12 (hidden) and 10 (up the hill :shock: ).

The only problems at Camden are locating some of the Pro Tees. Hole 6 is long and straight, past the bridge and on the right. Then you backtrack back to the Tee for seven.

Thanks for the tips, but don't make me out to be better than I really am as I've not tried the pro tees at Richmond Hill yet!! :roll: :lol:
Haplo

Postby Mount » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:32 pm

http://quadcitydiscgolf.com/Map_Camden.html

Theres a camden map for you Haplo.

Only difference is that 6 is long and straight.
Mount

Postby Haplo » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:12 am

Mount wrote:Theres a camden map for you Haplo.

Excellent - Thanks for the map Mount - It will come in very handy. :D
Haplo

Postby Golfguy » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:52 am

Haplo wrote:

A local Eagle scout installed directional signs at Richmond Hill this summer...FYI
Proud Iron Lion Team Member
www.IronLionDGS.com
Golfguy

Postby Haplo » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:19 am

Golfguy wrote:A local Eagle scout installed directional signs at Richmond Hill this summer...FYI

I wondered who did the directionals - thinking that it was possibly the local disc club.

Yay to the scouts

Double Yahoo! to the one('s) who did the signs too, that was a lot of work :!:
Haplo

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:29 am

:?
GDL17921

Postby Haplo » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:50 pm

Well, I made it to the disc courses at middle and camden park during my vacation and I must say; EXCELLENT suggestions people :!: :!: :!:

My scores at middle were 65, 65, 71 and 65, 67 at camden, but the scores fail to show how much fun I really had playing these parks.

Surprises at Middle were:
  • Hole #8 - "Oh! It's WAAAAY down that-a-way" - Shot five's at this hole
  • Hole #10 - "Across the mini-mississippi?" :? - This is the reason I could not recommend this course to everyone. I'm sure any style of bridge would be expensive, but I wonder about a rope bridge constructed from man-made materials?
  • Hole #18 - I first re-crossed the mini mississippi to get here from 17 :oops: , but it's much easier to take the sidewalk by 23rd street. :roll:
Not to many surprises at camden - this seems to be a mature course with bridges, steps, signs and extra practice targets.

The maps for both of these courses came in VERY handy indeed making the experience more enjoyable, because I did not have to spend valuable time searching around for the next hole.

See you on the course! :D
Haplo

Postby flyinplastic23 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:24 pm

glad you enjoyed the courses. I think as more people play middle it wont be so confusing for hole 10... but who knows I havent been doing this that long.
A person with great dreams can accomplish great things- Bob Rotella

Pionta Guinness, le do thoil
flyinplastic23

Postby Mount » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:48 pm

Somebody will probably build a rock bridge or something there in due time.
Mount

Postby Haplo » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:19 am

Mount wrote:Somebody will probably build a rock bridge or something there in due time.

While watching a nature show on TV last night a person was standing by a waterway with flat-top "tree-stump" walkway. Similar to a path with spaced stepping stones. This path was built from large logs driven vertically into the ground a short distance apart, the tops cut level to each other, rising about a foot from the riverbed. These logs seemed to be about 18" in diameter. I would guess the "stumps" closer to the bank could be stepped up/down making a stairway.
Haplo

Postby Mount » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:48 am

thats a good idea but then you would have to find them stumps and cut them off. You wouldn't just wanna cut some trees down to do such a thing. If they weren't so big you would have to dig them pretty deep so as to not have to worry about them tipping over when you walk on them.
Mount

Postby Haplo » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:26 am

Mount wrote:You wouldn't just wanna cut some trees down to do such a thing.

These would have to be treated wood to prevent rot and it would be best if they came from some construction project where the trees are being removed anyway.
If they weren't so big you would have to dig them pretty deep so as to not have to worry about them tipping over when you walk on them.

Most definitely - I was thinking they would have to be driven some five feet into the ground - below the frost line anyway.
Haplo

Previous

Return to Stuff