Need suggestions for QC area courses to play on

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Need suggestions for QC area courses to play on

Postby Haplo » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:52 am

I'm on vacation the first week of October and would like to hear your suggestions of the best courses in Illinois or Iowa in the Quad Cities area. My nearest course is Richmond Hill in Geneseo, Illinois, so that's the only course I've really played on and I really like it. :D

So, what two QCA courses do you think are the best? And why? Thanks :wink:
Haplo

Postby Mount » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:29 am

I think that you should try Middle in Bettendorf and Maybe Eastern in Davenport or Prospect in Moline.

They are the most difficult and Middle is just the shit.
Mount

Postby GDL17921 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:40 am

From what I've heard you need to check out Middle. I've never been a fan of Eastern, it's flat, not that much excitement.

Devil's Glen is one of my favorites, lots of elevation, tight wooded shots, water, the whole package. The ONLY drawback of this course in some's eyes is that it's only 12 holes. Not a big deal to me.

In IL, I'd recomend playing Camden Park out in Milan. It's been around since 2000, and has had some changes since it's inception, but it's truly a great course with lots of different types of shots. It's kinda similar to Richmond Hill, from the shorts maybe a couple strokes more difficult.

I guess since I've never played Middle, my two favorites currently are Camden and DG. I have a feeling that will change next time I'm in town, though.
GDL17921

Postby K.C. » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:45 am

I agree, definately do Middle, that's already a great course...and it's not even done.

But, I would recommend going to Camden after that. It's short, and towny regulars don't use it as much anymore, but to an out of towner...this course is a GREAT time. It's beautiful, well laid out, and has a good variety...but you get used to it when you play it all the time. I'm sure as an out-of-towner it'll appeal to you, though! (Note: If you can find all of the long tees...its a WHOLE LOT more challenging!)
K.C.

Postby Buzzznation » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:41 am

If you really want a vacation head over to Des Moines. You'd better take a whole week though to play all of the courses we have to offer. :D :D
Buzzznation

Postby Chase20460 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:10 pm

Middle and Camden. I agree. Prospect isnt in great shape right now.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby Mount » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:08 pm

Camden is still infested with locals K.C.

Just ask PK and all them guys that are out there everyday.
Mount

Postby strokersix » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:53 pm

Camden is a fun course for sure but my votes would certainly have to be Middle and Devils Glen. I especially like Devils Glen when the baskets are in the long positions which I think they are now. Eastern is long but not much variety, Prospect has some cool holes but some not so cool, Longview would be my third choice but it's hard to navigate without having played there before. You might want to consider Westbrook in Dewitt; I've always enjoyed playing there.
strokersix

Postby Haplo » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:17 pm

Thanks to everyone for the course suggestions. :D

The Middle Park course sounds like a definite winner along with Camden. I sure hope to get the opportunity to play at some others too! 8)

See you on the course - I'll be the old guy with the "simple" ball cap.
Haplo

Postby DVS1 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:30 pm

I HIGHLY recommend you print a map of ANY course before you play it. They all have their spots of confusion, especially Middle and Longview. Also remember Camden's 6 is different now and plays to the island.
DVS1

Postby Mount » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:57 am

You can't say island to someone that isn't a local dan. There is no island there and they won't know what the hell your talking about. How about #6 is about 650' straight down the gap and on the right.
Mount

Postby Haplo » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:34 pm

DVS1 wrote:I HIGHLY recommend you print a map of ANY course before you play it.

Yes, I have a map of Middle Park, but cannot find a course map for Camden Park. PDGA's web site does not provide a map for Camden Park either. :?

I would appreciate help in locating a course map for Camden Park. :)
Haplo

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:59 pm

you probably won't need one, there will be a lot of people there.
GDL17921

Postby K.C. » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:08 pm

Plus, Camden is beginner friendly. If you can find hole #1 - you can find every other hole pretty darn easy. The lay-out doesn't leave many questions as to where to go.
K.C.

Postby Haplo » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:40 pm

K.C. wrote:Plus, Camden is beginner friendly. If you can find hole #1 - you can find every other hole pretty darn easy. The lay-out doesn't leave many questions as to where to go.

That's good - When first playing Richmond Hill, I needed help finding hole #3 and there are a couple other non-obvious targets like 9, 12 (hidden) and 10 (up the hill :shock: ).
Haplo

Next

Return to Stuff