Blizzard discs?

Reviews for Innova Golf discs and any other Innova products.

Postby Disc Golf Live » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:02 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRQ5yv3oGAI

"Injection molding bubble plastic" search brought me to this. Don't know if Blizzard is getting the 3M resins or some other product but it was an informative watch.

Congrats to David on his throw.

This plastic will be a hard one for another maker to trump, but an easy enough one to adopt, I think.
Joe Wander
Producer and Editor
Disc Golf Live video magazine
www.discgolflive.com
Bringing DG to TV, one community at a time
Disc Golf Live

Postby LOOTOWNDISKR » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:53 pm

I bought one of these a week ago 158 Destroyer, I know can turn over about anything but these things are more stable then the credit given by some. It has also out distanced everything in my bag it will be in the bag until someone comes out with a better option.
LOOTOWNDISKR

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:48 pm

I'm keeping an open mind. I Love how fast it is out of the hand, however, I can't imagine throwing it anywhere tight or wooded. I am also of the opinion that this will only work with drivers.... What does the chase think?

Off topic but chase's "vendor" status make me think why haven't we had a tournament that has a "fly mart" atmosphere. We've got The lion, preflight, Titan, VC and I would love to see eveyone in one place. Granted, from your point why share? But imagine, legion, in the Back, a wall of vendors, all your needs instantly met.... I love it!
camping in humbolt 2013 - greco: "why is there so much water in my tent?" bernie: "sweat and tears greco, sweat and tears"
3x state champ runner up

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:12 am

Iron Lion and Proflight are vending the Challenge
GDL17921

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:19 am

3x state champ runner up wrote: I can't imagine throwing it anywhere tight or wooded.

This is why I like my Blizzard Destroyers. My old arm throws 150 class and, until now, I had to buy DX which gets beat up bad at Wildcat. I was rotating discs every 6 months which makes for large inconsistancies. Now I have something that will take the abuse and stay stable in the long run. Of course I only use it on the righty hyzer holes.
Wildcat Bluff Crew Member
Budhyzer 17696

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:28 am

GDL17921 wrote:Iron Lion and Proflight are vending the Challenge

i like this, a lot!
camping in humbolt 2013 - greco: "why is there so much water in my tent?" bernie: "sweat and tears greco, sweat and tears"
3x state champ runner up

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:30 am

Budhyzer 17696 wrote:
3x state champ runner up wrote: I can't imagine throwing it anywhere tight or wooded.

This is why I like my Blizzard Destroyers. My old arm throws 150 class and, until now, I had to buy DX which gets beat up bad at Wildcat. I was rotating discs every 6 months which makes for large inconsistancies. Now I have something that will take the abuse and stay stable in the long run. Of course I only use it on the righty hyzer holes.

you need to try the Blizzard Katana and the Boss.
GDL17921

Postby conroy_01 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:18 am

I believe a new world record in distance was set with a blizzard this past weekend I think 836 feet
conroy_01

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:10 pm

GDL17921 wrote:
Budhyzer 17696 wrote:

you need to try the Blizzard Katana and the Boss.

For sure, Hep has both and I've been meaning to try them out but haven't yet.
Wildcat Bluff Crew Member
Budhyzer 17696

Postby Chase20460 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:49 pm

3x state champ runner up wrote:I'm keeping an open mind. I Love how fast it is out of the hand, however, I can't imagine throwing it anywhere tight or wooded. I am also of the opinion that this will only work with drivers.... What does the chase think?

I threw mine on 2, 12, 13, 15 and 17 at Shaver. Wanted to throw it on 1, but the head wind was too strong. I figured there was a good chance it would hit Titan on the fly. :roll:

> I had a jump putt from the broken log on 15. Its the farthest Ive been by like 40ft since the new green went in.

I agree, distance only, but I am fine with throwing them on lines or down gaps. For me, since there is less run up, its easy for me to hit the spot I am aiming at. Like Ive said all along: A drive is like a tough math problem, why add more variables to the equation? I suck at math, so I take out as many variables as possible, the run up being the biggest one. Now its general math.

It would be different if these discs didnt have the stability they have. If they were like throwing typical small wind, slow speed discs the infatuation would be over...but they arent. I threw sidearms last night with a 157g Blizzard Ape that flew like a 175g Xcal w more speed.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby smalls51691 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:47 pm

chase. watching that 150 ape dump on your ass last night was great.
smalls51691

Postby The Donator » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:31 am

Chase20460 wrote:Like Ive said all along: A drive is like a tough math problem, why add more variables to the equation? I suck at math, so I take out as many variables as possible, the run up being the biggest one. Now its general math.

Actually you just added an entire new set of variables. This isnt like your straddle putt where you putt at the exact same speed on every putt and can take variables of a non-straddle out to lock in the same arm swing, release, lift, etc. By cutting out the run up and throwing at an awkward speed of 80-85%, you've just created an entire new and more difficult "math" problem. Congrats on solving it very quickly though.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby conroy_01 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:42 am

The Donator wrote:
Chase20460 wrote:Like Ive said all along: A drive is like a tough math problem, why add more variables to the equation? I suck at math, so I take out as many variables as possible, the run up being the biggest one. Now its general math.

Actually you just added an entire new set of variables. This isnt like your straddle putt where you putt at the exact same speed on every putt and can take variables of a non-straddle out to lock in the same arm swing, release, lift, etc. By cutting out the run up and throwing at an awkward speed of 80-85%, you've just created an entire new and more difficult "math" problem. Congrats on solving it very quickly though.

I find taking the run up out helps. Adding a run up can throw off a throwing rythm. Your throwing rythm should be the very similar when doing a run up or not only difference should be your timing on when to pull back and when to turn.
conroy_01

Krait

Postby desertstormvet » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:55 am

Looks like innova is releasing another new disc around june, it will be called the Krait, the numbers are 11, 5, -1, 2. It will be released in BLizzard first according to Dave D.
“The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.”
desertstormvet

Postby Detra319 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:58 am

I have 3 speeds i throw at, just like i learned when playing pool. You work on slow medium and fast shots while trying to maintain the same form through each. This has helped alot with mid ranges and short shots for me to say the least.

I also have spent ALOT of time in the last year in trying to approach disc golf like ball golf. You try to use the same shot(swing) as much as you possibly can while changing the disc(club). This had helpec smooth alot of the inconsistencies out of my game and allowed me to know what i am going to try to throw. I am letting the disc work for me and not trying to use a different arm motion each time.

That being said, these blizzard discs are helping alot when it comes to my d. I have decent d since i play with detert all the time, but these are in a new class. You can absolutely crush these discs with enough room in the open. They are also more consistent into the wind than you would thing. In reality if you do the physics force equation, when you reduce the mass of something by 20 to 30 percent, you do not get a 20 to 30 percent reduction in speed as it leaves your hand. You will lose some speed if you throw hard enough, but that is only a few players who can generate enough force to overspin the newer high stability plastic. With this new blizzard stuff you are allowing your arm to reach higher speeds more quickly, but then losing some of the force that you project outwards. The airfoil size of the disc allows for more cut through the wind with less mass to be pulled by gravity.

Anyways, dunno if that makes that much sense but its hard as hell to edit on the ipad. Search youtube for "more snap" and watch the video with like 50k views and 2 parts by a big bear of a man. He explains quite abit of the physics side of things when it comes to releasing the disc, and he has some form of degree in it :p
The finial... Even with no clouds!
Detra319

PreviousNext

Return to Innova