Innova Katana

Reviews for Innova Golf discs and any other Innova products.

Innova Katana

Postby SpikeHyzer » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:30 am

This is quoted from Dave Dunipace himself on the PDGA site. The disc is also pdga approved.

DaveDunipace wrote:I have been testing the Katana over the weekend. It has more turn than the Groove in Pro driver plastic, which is what has been made so far, along with test shots of Champion and R-Pro.

So far, the Pro Katanas look pretty good for distance challenged throwers, hyzer flip at less than max power, and power rollers. Power rollers can throw flat to slightly turned over and let the disc do the work. Power throwers should probably pass on this disc except for specific uses such as high turnovers and rollers.

The Katana in all three plastics tested so far is more speed sensitive than all of our other high speed drivers. This basically means it will flip considerably more into the wind than down wind. The R-Pro Katana is flippier than the R-Pro Boss and flippier than the Pro Katana, so it probably won't go into general production. The relative wind speed sensitivity makes assigning a turn number a little challenging, but for 400+ft throwers the turn for Pro will be at least a -3. For 350 ft max throwers, the turn will be less, (except into a wind). And, I don't recommend throwing these into a wind. Tentative flight numbers are: 13, 5, -3, 3.

Testing of normal Champion was unimpressive, compared to Pro, but the addition of the stabilizing process might change that. Though we haven't tested it in Starlight as yet, I believe that will prove successful.

The Pro will probably come out at the end of the year in general release. Before then, a limited amount of Pro, and a very limited amount of Champion and R-Pro will be available through Herodiscusa as a fundraiser for the Japan Open.
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.
SpikeHyzer

Postby The Donator » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:02 pm

Sounds like my kind of disc :D

It will flip easier when throwing into the wind? No shit?
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby jnecessary » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:44 pm

The Donator wrote:Sounds like my kind of disc :D

It will flip easier when throwing into the wind? No shit?

Pretty sure you have to break it down word for word like that, or idiots come back and whine about it when they throw it in the drink thinking it will fly into a 30mph headwind.
jnecessary

Postby SpikeHyzer » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:42 pm

I got a 175 Pro Katana in a trade today, and holy hell is this thing fast and glidey. This disc won't be for everybody as it is definitely an understable disc. I would say it is about as understable as a Roadrunner.
SpikeHyzer

Postby KePP » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:29 am

mmm sounds tasty
KePP

Postby jnecessary » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:34 pm

SpikeHyzer wrote:I got a 175 Pro Katana in a trade today, and holy hell is this thing fast and glidey. This disc won't be for everybody as it is definitely an understable disc. I would say it is about as understable as a Roadrunner.

RR is one of my favorite discs so I wanna try these out!
jnecessary

Postby SpikeHyzer » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:03 pm

I wanted to add in that the Pro is flippier than the champ right out of the box. The Pro has a fair bit of dome where as the champ is a little bit flatter.
SpikeHyzer

Postby gretagun » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:45 pm

Good to know. I ordered a couple Champs which definitely turn for me, but I wouldn't say are flippy or squirrelly. Wish I would have ordered a pro for comparison.
"Got to sinking in the place where I once stood.
Now I ain't living like I should"
gretagun

Postby ghstinshll » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:15 pm

Sounds like I'll be trying a new roller soon... ;-)
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Chase20460 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:48 am

En Route.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby ghstinshll » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:46 pm

but I wouldn't say are flippy or squirrelly

Would this relate to how the Champ Wraith is 'a little loose', compared to the star or pro out of the box? Little loose w/ lots of glilde = that's what she said.
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby gretagun » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:40 pm

ghstinshll wrote:
but I wouldn't say are flippy or squirrelly

Would this relate to how the Champ Wraith is 'a little loose', compared to the star or pro out of the box? Little loose w/ lots of glilde = that's what she said.

^^ :lol:

Yeah, I would say that is a fair comparison. Lots of glide for sure. I would say these things have more turn than a new star or pro wraith. I'm guessing the pro katanas will get pretty flippy after they beat in.
"Got to sinking in the place where I once stood.
Now I ain't living like I should"
gretagun

Postby freburg36625 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:47 pm

my goodness......these things are hard to throw short :)
freburg36625

Postby Clue » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:33 am

freburg36625 wrote:my goodness......these things are hard to throw short :)

Doogie can show you.
Clue

Return to Innova