Fundraiser for Becky Zallek - Sunday 9/22

All Tournaments held in the state of Iowa or by Iowa affilitated clubs.

Fundraiser for Becky Zallek - Sunday 9/22

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:29 am

I know this is real late notice, but sometimes life smacks you in the face and we as a community need to come together to help out.

I have been informed that Becky's condition has taken a turn for the worse. She and Kuzi are heading up to Mayo Clinic to make some last efforts to save her life. Kuzi approached Dave Beery with some of Becky's discs that she recieved for being inducted into the PDGA HOF last month. He was hoping that some people would be willing to donate some money to help with his costs of hotel, food, etc while he spends some very important time with Becky.

So the DSM disc golf club decided to host a one round fundraiser for Becky this Sunday at Ewing Park. Cost will be $25. The first 20-25 people that show up will recieve one of Becky's HOF discs and a patch. Those that show up after the discs/patches are gone can donate whatever they feel appropriate. We're shooting to tee off around noon, so 11-11:45ish to come sign up. Please donate what you can. Here's a picture of what the disc and patch look like.

If you have any swag or discs you'd like to donate as prizes, those would be greatly appreciated.

GDL17921

Re: Fundraiser for Becky Zallek - Sunday 9/22

Postby Marcovis » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:05 am

I will be there with some discs/stuff for prizes. I have always heard about Becky from club members and had never met her until this past Sunday. I went to breakfast with my son and my mom, recognized her at the restaurant and introduced myself. 2 years ago while in San Diego I played a local monthly tournament at Morley Field. Snapper Pierson is the pro that runs the course and when he found out I was from Des Moines, Becky's name was the first thing that came out of his mouth. He said she ran the best Worlds he had ever been a part of and had nothing but great things to say about her, the Des Moines club, and our courses. Glad I was able to pass that story along to her!
Marcovis

Postby discgolfduval » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:55 am

Count me in for this as well. Hate hearing this news. One of the first people to ever get me really excited about this sport and the absolute life blood of the Des Moines Disc Golf Club for a long time. Still dont understand how these kinds of things happen to such good people...... :x :cry:
discgolfduval

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:00 am

Thanks a lot guys. Awesome story Mike. Help me spread the word about Sunday please.
GDL17921

Postby SpikeHyzer » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:15 am

Will definitely be there.
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.
SpikeHyzer

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:17 pm

i'll buy 2 of her patches for 50.00, who can I paypal or send a check or give money to.

i'll never forget coming up to dsm in 2000 for a sunday mini. being the fresh fish that I was I didn't know anyone, I think shane said "you here for the mini, pay him" (pointing to a guy by a jeep wrangler), that guy was kuzi and was totally cool to me. 2004 worlds, the only worlds I've been to (I didn't play, but helped drink some beer with brian "dirty" danosky on 14's fairway at carol marty) was spectacular and if it weren't for becky none of it would have happened. i'm sure her resume speaks for itself.

being on the receiving end of one of these, and just having the Eli karstens mem tourney a couple of weeks ago to help out avg Joe, I can empathize with those who are helped and how much it means.
Last edited by 3x state champ runner up on Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
camping in humbolt 2013 - greco: "why is there so much water in my tent?" bernie: "sweat and tears greco, sweat and tears"
3x state champ runner up

Postby GaW27166 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:36 pm

IN
GaW27166

Postby DLCdisc » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:09 pm

Wish I could fellas. Just found out at work today that I have to go to Minnesota for two weeks to help another store. I will be at Newton Saturday and I will throw some stuff in for prizes if anyone representing this event will be there as well. I had heard good things about Becky and knew her face, but actually met her for the first time in Kansas City at the KCWO about 5 years ago. I got to the course early to warm up and said something to her when I realized she was from Des Moines. Spent the rest of the time before teeing off talking with her and she had nothing but positive and encouraging things to say. I think she inspired a lot of people.
DLCdisc

Postby TraLo » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:45 pm

We (myself, Kathy Betcher-Sprague, and Carrie Ricketts) have raised over $400 with the Becky Z patches (took them to World's) and I had intended to bring the $$ up next weekend and sell more patches at the tourneys. In light of the sudden changes, and with the fundraiser, Carrie & I will head to DSM on Sat. to see Becky and give Kuzi the $$. We will bring more patches for the fundraiser, and donate some discs. Jay, let me know where to drop those off on Sat. If you are playing Newton, then we'll drop them off there. We will need to head back to the QC on Sat. by 2pm, so we will miss the fundraiser; but please give hugs to everyone that shows up. Becky has been our hero in women's disc golf since 2000, but more than that she has become a true friend. We know she has inspired many people to not only play the sport, but to grow a disc golf community that does good in the world. Pay it forward disc golf friends!

TraLo
TraLo

Postby Beerman » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:01 pm

I have plenty of discs and will have them with me at newton tomorrow.
Beerman

Postby 2MINUTS » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:50 am

I will have plenty of patches out there Sunday as well. Qc ladies r bring them to me on Saturday. I like to think all off those of u who want to help. When Kozi comes up to me and Dave and askes for a little bit of help I am going to do whats ever in my power to help them. I just want to make sure I tell all of u thank u becausce if it wasnt for each and every one of u this could never happen.
2MINUTS

Postby gvcc master » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:15 pm

good times and good vibes, at ewing today !!! thx all
gvcc master

Return to Iowa Tournaments