TPC Amana 2013 Feedback and Pictures

All Tournaments held in the state of Iowa or by Iowa affilitated clubs.

TPC Amana 2013 Feedback and Pictures

Postby Captain » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:50 am

I would like for anyone who played this last weekend to post their feedback on the course and/or any pictures they may have taken.

Thanks all for coming!
Captain

Re: TPC Amana 2013 Feedback and Pictures

Postby Captain » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:01 am

Captain

Postby Captain » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:09 am

My general thoughts on layout......

I thought the course was more balanced this year than last. Fewer wooded holes and more greens to the left of the actual greens. 5 of the 6 par 3's were very hard. This is something that I will change in the future. I saw too many guys laying up on 30 ft putts because the risk was greater than the reward. I will try to build it next time with more forgiveness in the green areas on those holes.

I think this year was much more driver oriented and less putter. If you didn't drive the disc correctly (shot and landing) you were never going to be close. Most putts were from inside 30 because putting outside that probably meant going OB. I will have to see how I can change that. Problem is all the cool land features are right next to the greens and traps. I have a year to figure that one out.

Hole 7 needed to be a little longer.

I needed to look for more differentiation in the greens.
Captain

Postby Captain » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:07 am

A little something Steve Callaway put together.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsdNJv6v ... video_user
Captain

Postby SARG27044 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:34 am

Beautiful land, great layout. A few things that were discussed on my cards were the greens. IMO, too many pucker factor greens. Almost every hole had an elevated basket/on a mound/or 10 ft from ob. While I love holes like this, I don't think every hole needs to be like that. There was very little, to no reward for going for a long putt. I think this layout could be done using 9 holes out there as well. Could still be a long, difficult course, and we could allow them to still have 9 holes for golf. Might be easier to setup and take down the course this way too. However, I will be back regardless if it stays the same, gets longer, more difficult, easier.....Hats of to Stibs for running a great event that no one should miss.
SARG27044

Postby Captain » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:35 am

SARG27044 wrote:..... a great event that no one should miss.

That means sign up early next time!!!!
Captain

Postby schlabach » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:23 am

Curious what the feedback from the Golf Course was. I know last year they were pretty happy with us.
schlabach

Postby Captain » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:53 am

schlabach wrote:Curious what the feedback from the Golf Course was. I know last year they were pretty happy with us.

They were very happy.

Amana Golf Course wrote:You guys (and gals) are the best group we have all year.

They even asked me about doing an event in the fall. Stay tuned for more on that.
Captain

Postby SARG27044 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:58 am

Captain wrote:
schlabach wrote:Curious what the feedback from the Golf Course was. I know last year they were pretty happy with us.

They were very happy.

Amana Golf Course wrote:You guys (and gals) are the best group we have all year.

They even asked me about doing an event in the fall. Stay tuned for more on that.
Singles sticks n' discs best shot...Yeah you read that right :wink: Get to play best shot with clubs and discs and pick where you want to play from....Obv have diff tee pads for each. Have to use at least one of each type of shot per hole...
SARG27044

Postby Discin'Cider49514 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:00 pm

Amazing scenery, tough but fair layout.....I would have to say that this is probably the hardest most visually appealing course I've ever played (I've only been playing for 3yrs. now so I'm limited as to what I can compare this course against). I had good guys in my groups both rounds and that always makes for a better time to be had by all.
Now for my only complaint of the day......After walking in and thinking that my 69 from round 1 was pretty shitty (I honestly thought I played like shit and would be close to the bottom of the ADV division) and realizing that it actually wasn't a bad score at all I was pretty amped to get a 2nd crack at the same course again. But because 1 guy complained about his baby arm not being able to handle that course for 2 consecutive rounds, ADV was told they would be playing shorts round 2 (which I realize actually helped the speed of play and benefited the tourney as a whole). The damn guy didn't even have the cajones to show up for the tournament...wtf....if you are gonna complain your way into having the TD change course layout for YOU and you don't even show up to said tournament, that's pretty much the definition of douchebaggery in my book....Now I'm sure that (insert bullshit excuse) was a good reason to miss this incredible tournament but I was kinda disappointed that round 2 was from shorts, even though it was just as tough a course...I guess maybe next time we can just stick all the distance complainers in INT and let us big boys have fun throwing 3 drives up to the basket....
With that being said, this tournament was the most fun I've had on such a difficult course, I don't think I've ever smiled more while throwing OB over and over again....I will definitely be back next year to defend my 3way tie for 7th....haha
Discin'Cider49514

Postby conroy_01 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:40 pm

My first time playing it and i loved the layout. I hate holes on mounds just because they are difficult and it is my weak spot bit i love the challenge of that. It makes it either be on your game for big reward or play it safe. Felt like there was alot more left to right shots. But i could be imagining it. I would've liked it if there was a hole or two that could've sat on a hill in the trees if they would allow that? Maybe try some more water for a tee off where its a big risk/big reward type and then make it easy putting after where it is not surrounded by OB. Just a couple thoughts. I would definetely play again with same layout
conroy_01

Postby tufluk » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:47 pm

When someone else is doing all the work, I play, and then say thank you.
Thanks Kev, had a great time. Hell, I lay up from 30 feet on a flat green! :shock:
tufluk

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:26 pm

Things I thought about while playing.............. Well first off I hope lindsel plays next year so Kollin can have his cart buddy back. I'm pretty sure I shot so bad because I was on edge from his driving.

Harder holes?
Adding up scores after league... Greco-"Kerri, you shot 11 up" Kerri- "oh a 65 isn't bad" Greco-"that was the back nine"
3x state champ runner up

Postby Grimm » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:40 pm

3x state champ runner up wrote:Things I thought about while playing.............. Well first off I hope lindsel plays next year so Kollin can have his cart buddy back. I'm pretty sure I shot so bad because I was on edge from his driving.

Harder holes?

Pretty sure you were laughing the whole time with my cart skills. I kept hearing pass him pass him. Neutral is good and fast.

The only thing I could think of would be moving some pins a little from the bunkers so there is more risk reward in laying up. Taking OB strokes 5 feet from the hole I personally am not a fan of. I missed on purpose because I believed I should have had an OB stroke. Other than that it's always a great time and I don't care what the layout is I'll be back whenever this goes on. Great job Stibs and crew. Special thanks to Amana for letting us out on another fantastic but I bet they made more money than they would have.
50 lashes for drinking the groups whiskey isn't steep.
Grimm

Postby StingHP » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:20 pm

Amazing course and I am glad that I went. I know Kenny is as well considering this was his first INT win.

As per the OB, when ever I went I deserved it. Keep it the way it is and make it risk / reward for going for it. The scenery was absolutely gorgeous and I liked utilizing all 18 ball golf holes. That way the holes weren't stuffed together and some fun driving was had between holes. Side note, I would love to take a go kart out there on those cart paths.

Thinking about how many players were there, I know the course made more money having us than regular players. I will be back hopefully this fall when the leaves are changing, but damn those thorns.
StingHP

Next

Return to Iowa Tournaments