2013 Des Moines Challenge presented by G&L Clothing

All Tournaments held in the state of Iowa or by Iowa affilitated clubs.

Re: 2013 Des Moines Challenge presented by G&L Clothing

Postby really » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:06 pm

Ferch wrote:
Discin'Cider49514 wrote:Would there be any thought in using a safari Heritage course over GV. Not that I don't love GV and I understand that GV is a local Des Moines course, but wouldn't a challenging Heritage layout provide a more competitive course for the Open and big boy divisions? Just curious


Why not just stretch GV? #1 long, #2 Island hole, #3 temp left on stump, #4 long, #5 long, #6 long with ob right, #8 left, #9 long, #10 left, #11 pad moved back left about 100 ft, #12 long, #13 long, #14 left, #15 long, #16 move pad back 60 ft with mando sentinel trees, #17 long, #18 plays to practice basket.

As far as Heritage, think about the drve between rounds from Ankeny to Indianola.



#18 to practice basket bad idea for one not a very good hole second you would have to throw over #12
DGA
really
 
Posts: 260
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:36 pm
Location: west des moines

Re: 2013 Des Moines Challenge presented by G&L Clothing

Postby Chase20460 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:25 pm

Safari anything is tough for such a large tournament. Just speaking form experiance.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
User avatar
Chase20460
 
Posts: 5203
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: 2630 16th St. Moline IL

Re: 2013 Des Moines Challenge presented by G&L Clothing

Postby Ferch » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:54 pm

really wrote:
Ferch wrote:
Discin'Cider49514 wrote:Would there be any thought in using a safari Heritage course over GV. Not that I don't love GV and I understand that GV is a local Des Moines course, but wouldn't a challenging Heritage layout provide a more competitive course for the Open and big boy divisions? Just curious


Why not just stretch GV? #1 long, #2 Island hole, #3 temp left on stump, #4 long, #5 long, #6 long with ob right, #8 left, #9 long, #10 left, #11 pad moved back left about 100 ft, #12 long, #13 long, #14 left, #15 long, #16 move pad back 60 ft with mando sentinel trees, #17 long, #18 plays to practice basket.

As far as Heritage, think about the drve between rounds from Ankeny to Indianola.


#18 to practice basket bad idea for one not a very good hole second you would have to throw over #12

Group ahead plays through, or put the basket in the woods right from the long.
Living for flight. One day at a time.
Ferch
 
Posts: 541
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 10:04 am
Location: DSM

Re: 2013 Des Moines Challenge presented by G&L Clothing

Postby shak » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:50 pm

Colfax? It's got to be about the same drive time from Grandview as the other 3 courses.
User avatar
shak
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:57 am
Location: Newton

Re: 2013 Des Moines Challenge presented by G&L Clothing

Postby Swisher Streets » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:43 pm

What was the hot round at grandview?
Swisher Streets
 
Posts: 375
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:48 pm

Re: 2013 Des Moines Challenge presented by G&L Clothing

Postby blkwizardsonny » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:26 pm

11 i believe
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny
 
Posts: 2785
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: GVCC

Re: 2013 Des Moines Challenge presented by G&L Clothing

Postby DLCdisc » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:29 pm

I don't want to speak for Dave or any other people that work their tails off to get the courses ready for The Challenge and so on, but the minor changes you are describing represent a lot of work above and beyond the mountain of work that already needs to be done out there. That being said, the only idea you put on there that didn't make sense to me was playing 18 to the practice basket as that would cross directly over the first 1/3 of hole 12 including the tee. Beleive me, it is not the intention of the club to make the event less inviting, but under the circumstances it may be our only option. I hope a lot of people get involved witht he course work this year in all locations.
DLCdisc
 
Posts: 712
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: 2013 Des Moines Challenge presented by G&L Clothing

Postby DLCdisc » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:33 pm

shak wrote:Colfax? It's got to be about the same drive time from Grandview as the other 3 courses.

That would be fine except they would be travelling there from Pickard or from there to Pickard. Thats too much of a haul either way fo them to finish their day off traveling to Walnut for awards and skins.
DLCdisc
 
Posts: 712
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: 2013 Des Moines Challenge presented by G&L Clothing

Postby ojenson » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:38 am

I think most people would be willing to drive a little further to play a more challenging course than grandview.
ojenson
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 am

Re: 2013 Des Moines Challenge presented by G&L Clothing

Postby ojenson » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:51 am

If there is an issue with too much travel why is pickard going to be played? Why not have GV and Colfax?
ojenson
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 am

Re: 2013 Des Moines Challenge presented by G&L Clothing

Postby shak » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:18 am

DLCdisc wrote:
shak wrote:Colfax? It's got to be about the same drive time from Grandview as the other 3 courses.

That would be fine except they would be travelling there from Pickard or from there to Pickard. Thats too much of a haul either way fo them to finish their day off traveling to Walnut for awards and skins.


According to Google Maps:
Grandview to Walnut Ridge: 26 minutes
Pickard to Walnut Ridge: 49 minutes
Pickard to Colfax: 47 minutes
Pickard to Grandview: 33 minutes
Colfax to Walnut Ridge: 42 minutes
Grandview to Colfax: 28 minutes

There aren't really any short drives in there. If Pickard and Colfax were played you would have an 89 minute drive from Pickard to Colfax to Walnut. If Grandview and Pickard were played you would have a 59 minute drive from Pickard to Grandview to Walnut so you do add 30 minutes of driving playing Colfax instead of Grandview.
User avatar
shak
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:57 am
Location: Newton

Re: 2013 Des Moines Challenge presented by G&L Clothing

Postby JBOCK » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:11 am

Any chances for a temp on a ball course: Altoona or GV ? I always look at the land and golf course for Camp Dodge on my way to walnut and have always thought that would work great as a temp course. What ever the courses/ layout this will be my 1st challenge so I'm pumped 8)
A bad day at disc golf is still better than a good day at anything else.... Unless its also disc golf
JBOCK
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:43 pm
Location: Des Moines

Re: 2013 Des Moines Challenge presented by G&L Clothing

Postby Ferch » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:17 am

DLCdisc wrote:I don't want to speak for Dave or any other people that work their tails off to get the courses ready for The Challenge and so on, but the minor changes you are describing represent a lot of work above and beyond the mountain of work that already needs to be done out there. That being said, the only idea you put on there that didn't make sense to me was playing 18 to the practice basket as that would cross directly over the first 1/3 of hole 12 including the tee. Beleive me, it is not the intention of the club to make the event less inviting, but under the circumstances it may be our only option. I hope a lot of people get involved witht he course work this year in all locations.


Ya, the hole 12 idea was shady. I was just trying to stretch GV out, without any major course work. Plus the Heritage option got me going. Colfax is an awesome course, but a little too much of a drive from Pickard. This tournament is a gorilla! By swapping Ewing for GV will not water it down. Ewing isn't special, just stretched out in the back 9 to make up for wide open holes.
Also, with Ewing out and GV in, The Challenge is now a 4 course tournament instead of a 5 course tournament. GV being used for Ams anyway. Dave, if you need an extra hand getting this done. You have my number, hit me up to help.
Living for flight. One day at a time.
Ferch
 
Posts: 541
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 10:04 am
Location: DSM

Re: 2013 Des Moines Challenge presented by G&L Clothing

Postby blkwizardsonny » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:50 am

ojenson wrote:I think most people would be willing to drive a little further to play a more challenging course than grandview.
i think most people running it arent gonna change it all the sudden this year
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny
 
Posts: 2785
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: GVCC

Re: 2013 Des Moines Challenge presented by G&L Clothing

Postby shak » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Just to clarify I'm not complaining about Grand View at all. I play that course better than Colfax. Like JBOCK I'm also looking forward to my 1st full Challenge. I had to quit after day 1 last year due to strep throat.
User avatar
shak
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:57 am
Location: Newton

PreviousNext

Return to Iowa Tournaments

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron