2013 Team Championship -- March 30th, West Lake Park

All Tournaments held in the state of Iowa or by Iowa affilitated clubs.

Re: 2013 Team Championship -- March 30th, West Lake Park

Postby Clue » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:20 pm

Discgo wrote:Had a great time playing this event and I really enjoyed west lake. I know my team didnt win it this year but if I could make a request for next year it would be to see some more girls involved. Imo it adds to the strategy and challenge of the event.

We've all gone back and forth on this many times. I wish the entire tournament was made of just women and me! We all get the pros and cons. The issue really boils down to what the tournament is intended for, and that has been to put one town's best against another town's best. That doesn't mean that it has to be that way, it's just the way it was proposed and for the most part has been executed up til now.

In Texas, John Houck has a huge team tournament that involves only 1 pro player/team. It's much more geared toward participation. It's something I've even thought about doing here and may yet.

But getting back to the original discussion, I don't feel like the tournament is exclusive even though it's not necessarily inclusive. There's been Puffins teams and now team Cool, and they always have good stories and moments and for $20-$25/head get a pretty good time even though it's unlikely to be very competitive.
Clue

Postby Clue » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:23 pm

diskey river wrote:^
I also had a ton a fun. I believe if there is a fair way to keep this centrally located each year, then a lot more teams will form. I know CB/Omaha was in if it wasn't for the drive.

Maybe, maybe not. We've actually gone to great lengths to get a western Iowa team many times. It's not up to QC or DM to make it happen. It's up to those in CB or Omaha who want to play to make it happen. Northern Iowa brought 2 teams last year! Muscatine was close to getting a team together this year because it was in proximity to them. Maybe they're less likely to play next year since it's in DM, but maybe you're more likely. There's always another side.
Clue

Postby Clue » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:27 pm

diskey river wrote:something else discussed was having 2 divisions, 1 pro 1 am, both playing for their own divisions cash. this would also increase teams, but will inevitably spark debate about which team is bagging.

Again, that's a different tournament then. You can handicap anything. Look at the USDGC. I like that *non-pros* get to participate and experience such a tournament, but even am players think it's stupid for the most part. I'm all for different types of team tournaments, I just don't want to change this one, especially since everyone who plays in it invariably loves it! It's always going to spark debate, but it's amazing that come game day everyone has a good time win or lose.
Clue

Postby Clue » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:28 pm

otowndiscnchic wrote:
The Donator wrote:We tried the one woman per team thing one year, didnt really work. Which is why it hasnt been in the format since. Masters would be a simple requirement.

one year? wow, you are way off! that was requirement all 3 years i played in the past (2003, 2004, 2008)! so this year i made my own team, and we had a great time!! 8)
Women are going to play whether they are a requirement or not, so as far as you playing, Donator, some team must have tried that in the past too, and that didn't really work either which must be why u were not on a team. :lol: LMfao!

And it wasn't just women either, we've had ams and masters as requirements before as well.
Clue

Postby Clue » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:37 pm

The Donator wrote:Nope, just not a part of this elitist shell that DSM has become. Not too concerned with trying to break the shell anymore, either. It is what it is. :cry:

Holy shit, somebody get Lindsley a towel...

Seriously, when are you gonna stop whining? What's this clique you're always referring to, the players who are actually good and don't just post on a message board about it? A few years back I didn't make the team but you didn't hear me crying. Instead I played for Puffins and put a beat down on Des Moines when I got the chance and I've been on the team ever since. It's like the BSD, there's a reason I'd rather play with AO, you're not very good!

In all seriousness, it's obvious you're talented enough to be very good at disc and golf. But it's not about talent or potential, it's about results. There's so much more to the game and being good at it that you haven't addressed. Nobody is intentionally picking on you. It may see that way because you're always sticking your neck out here. I think there's a bunch of guys in DM that can be really really good including you, but they're not there yet for various reasons. I just wish you'd quit making it so f'ing personal, get your shit together, and just start playing. If I see you on the top card at a bunch of tournaments this year, guess what, I'll probably be calling you next year about being on the team!

FYI, tryouts for DM 2014 start.....now!
Clue

Postby The Donator » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:39 pm

Clue wrote:
otowndiscnchic wrote:
The Donator wrote:We tried the one woman per team thing one year, didnt really work. Which is why it hasnt been in the format since. Masters would be a simple requirement.

one year? wow, you are way off! that was requirement all 3 years i played in the past (2003, 2004, 2008)! so this year i made my own team, and we had a great time!! 8)
Women are going to play whether they are a requirement or not, so as far as you playing, Donator, some team must have tried that in the past too, and that didn't really work either which must be why u were not on a team. :lol: LMfao!

And it wasn't just women either, we've had ams and masters as requirements before as well.

Oh I know. She doesnt. "Burn - lmao." Cant wait to prove myself for the next years' top 8!
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:19 pm

screw those guys from ames!
camping in humbolt 2013 - greco: "why is there so much water in my tent?" bernie: "sweat and tears greco, sweat and tears"
3x state champ runner up

Postby Like_Water » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:10 pm

Great job on the format Sprague. Other than a few hiccups, things went pretty smooth.

DM is undefeated at Westlake. :shock: congrats.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby The Donator » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:27 pm

Clue wrote: It's like the BSD, there's a reason I'd rather play with AO, you're not very good!

You are quite mistaken. Like i told you, you are going to pick up 1-2 disc golf strokes, maybe, to lose at least 4 ball golf strokes changing to him. Mark it down. We all are well of your mancrush on him. Every road trip we have to hear 2+ hours of stories about him and Callaway both ways. BTW since i have a license now, the alcohol situation you love to reference to about me has changed quite a bit, which is changing my game for the better. Have fun kids.
The Donator

Postby The Donator » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:29 pm

The Donator wrote:
Clue wrote: It's like the BSD, there's a reason I'd rather play with AO, you're not very good!

You are quite mistaken. Sorry a given second wasnt good enough for you lol. Like i told you, you are going to pick up 1-2 disc golf strokes, maybe, to lose at least 4 ball golf strokes changing to him. Mark it down. We all are well of your mancrush on him. Every road trip we have to hear 2+ hours of stories about him and Callaway both ways. BTW since i have a license now, the alcohol situation you and the others love to reference to about me has changed quite a bit, which is changing my game for the better. Have fun kids.
The Donator

Postby Clue » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:09 pm

You just made my point.
Clue

Postby Hamer » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:47 pm

I had an excellent day. It was good to get Iowa City back into this tournament after a hiatus of a couple of years. The format is good. It really does bring the entire aspect of a team into play.

West Lake is still a beast. The safari holes were sweet!

Congratulations to the Des Moines team!

Chris Sprague did very well dealing with getting the tournament going in the morning and talking to the captains of the teams.
You can only be offended if you want to be.
Hamer

Postby AO » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:19 am

Congrats Des Moines on your win. Well deserved. Thanks Chris for putting together the format. I particularly enjoyed the 2nd round and thought the layouts at WL were great. What a monster! Love WL. See most of you this weekend.
AO

Postby SARG27044 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:11 am

The Donator wrote: We all are well of your mancrush on Callaway
Who doesn't have one on him? :lol:
SARG27044

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:36 pm

peyton wrote:Congrats to DM. Good job running everything Chris. No one ever starts on time. We finished with just enough light. Hopefully we keep that format for a few years, just for consistency sake. Thanks again for a fun day.

I knew you had fun. i wouldn't think playing with me and kollin would ruin your day.
camping in humbolt 2013 - greco: "why is there so much water in my tent?" bernie: "sweat and tears greco, sweat and tears"
3x state champ runner up

PreviousNext

Return to Iowa Tournaments