Running With The Devil- C-Tier- Iowa Tour Stop May 13th 2012

All Tournaments held in the state of Iowa or by Iowa affilitated clubs.

Postby Chase20460 » Mon May 14, 2012 1:37 pm

Detra319 wrote:Eventually they will realize they have enough plastic and get sick of the sandbagger chants :p

So they should jump to Pro? Because they are playing well on courses they play at home?

You know who chants " Bagger"? The guys that lost and Pros w ego that think they are better players than an "advanced" level player.

All those guys have the tools to be Pro players, but they arent there yet, and why should they have to be? You play where the PDGA tells you to play and have fun. Its not about plastic to any of them, maybe they have bigger goals. Maybe they dont and will start playing Pro when they feel they have the game every weekend, wherever the event is.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby GDL17921 » Mon May 14, 2012 2:09 pm

Detra319 wrote:Eventually they will realize they have enough plastic and get sick of the sandbagger chants :p

or just turn 40. :lol:

But in all seriousness, I agree with Chase. I'm tired of seeing guys try to compete with people that they can't, because they've been bullied or manipulated into playing open. Cuz you know what the next step is? Retirement, ask Beeman. sssssssssss
GDL17921

Postby blkwizardsonny » Mon May 14, 2012 4:13 pm

double and triple sssssssssss
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny

Postby Detra319 » Mon May 14, 2012 6:25 pm

Chase20460 wrote:

So they should jump to Pro? Because they are playing well on courses they play at home?

You know who chants " Bagger"? The guys that lost and Pros w ego that think they are better players than an "advanced" level player.

All those guys have the tools to be Pro players, but they arent there yet, and why should they have to be? You play where the PDGA tells you to play and have fun. Its not about plastic to any of them, maybe they have bigger goals. Maybe they dont and will start playing Pro when they feel they have the game every weekend, wherever the event is.

No they should jump to pro because they will get sick of the plastic or the chants of sandbagger.

I didnt call them sandbaggers. You can infer that if you want to read it that way, I can understand. I'm saying there is a cultural feeling in disc golf to look at the guy who shoots better than the pros in advanced and think that he is a sandbagger.

Especially in the quad cities where there are quite a few high level advanced (940+) as well as an established base of pros, it is harder to move into pro without feeling like you are going to waste money.

Some on this forum have said that you should shoot with the best competition because that means it will make you play better. I wasnt even really saying that, I was just poking fun at the crazy rounds some of the ams in the quad cities have been putting up.
The finial... Even with no clouds!
Detra319

Postby Clue » Mon May 14, 2012 7:13 pm

There's no need to evaluate the divisions being played. It's a flaw with the pdga, not the players. There's always going to be a ton of overlap between Adv, Open, and Masters, especially on shorter courses.

Congrats to these guys that are shooting well. Play up on your own time. Enjoy playing at the top of a division for as long as you want. There are plenty of big national tournaments where you'll be just one of a whole bunch. If/when you separate yourself on that level then it'll be time to move up. All you have to do is look at Ben. He won a national title and yet he's still just another pro player at many Iowa tournaments. Granted, put him on a longer course and he can certainly separate himself from several of us, but many courses it just comes down to course management and who's making putts that day.
Clue

Postby Detra319 » Mon May 14, 2012 8:38 pm

There is also a major difference between the career advanced player and the guy honestly trying to move up.
The finial... Even with no clouds!
Detra319

Postby stover720 » Tue May 15, 2012 2:38 am

You can't just look at how someone does at 1 or even at a couple tournaments and decide they should go pro. First off, it is always their decision if they want to.

However, I would like to point out that the recommended rating to play open is 970+. And just because you play higher than that for multiple tournaments doesn't mean its your average. When that same person shoots a 900 and a 910 while having a bad tournament are you gonna tell them to move down to intermediate?

I also want to say that it was a great day. Best weather you could ask for. Great job to everyone that helped get it ready. Also grats to everyone that played well or placed. I'm looking forward to the next Iron Lion event, they always have great people attending.
stover720

Postby SARG27044 » Tue May 15, 2012 8:41 am

Just wanna say how awesome the course looked Sunday. I love this place. Thanx to Chase, Jess, Iron Lion, and everyone who helped (esp. those who weedwhacked the neddles) Screw that noise :lol: Cant wait to make it back
SARG27044

Postby tufluk » Tue May 15, 2012 10:17 am

I think it's "Any given Sunday" syndrome. There are a lot of good advanced players who can have a hot day.

Example: Cubs beat Cards yesterday. Does anyone really think that means the Cubs should move up to the major leagues??? :twisted:
tufluk

Postby Chase20460 » Tue May 15, 2012 11:11 am

Detra319 wrote:There is also a major difference between the career advanced player and the guy honestly trying to move up.

Who here is a career advanced player? Most of these guys doing well work full time jobs, go to school and have families at home. Several more have only been playing for a few years.

Maybe more people should be moving down. Maybe alot of people that think they should be playing "for the money" should be doing some plastic stacking of thier own.

Chase20460

Postby Grimm » Tue May 15, 2012 11:30 am

Chase20460 wrote:
Detra319 wrote:There is also a major difference between the career advanced player and the guy honestly trying to move up.

Who here is a career advanced player? Most of these guys doing well work full time jobs, go to school and have families at home. Several more have only been playing for a few years.

Maybe more people should be moving down. Maybe alot of people that think they should be playing "for the money" should be doing some plastic stacking of thier own.

I completely agree Chase. I'm playing open this weekend and they that's all unless I'm feeling really comfortable about the course and th field of players. There is no reason to play open for me if I am not going to be able to complete.
50 lashes for drinking the groups whiskey isn't steep.
Grimm

Postby IHearChains » Tue May 15, 2012 11:42 am

Chase20460 wrote:

I tried to move down for Des Moines Challenge but I got bullied and manipulated. :cry:

:lol: j/k Jay
IHearChains

Postby GDL17921 » Tue May 15, 2012 11:49 am

ha, you mean educated :lol:
GDL17921

Postby jnecessary » Tue May 15, 2012 12:05 pm

"high level advanced (940+)"...that should tell you enough. 940 is barely in the suggested range for advanced. 940 is one made putt from upper intermediate. If I come back to playing tournaments again I will play where my rating puts me, 934 or less INT baby.

Sorry to continue the derailing of the thread, but the idea that 940 is an upper level advanced player just shows how skewed the whole ratings and where you should play argument had gotten.
jnecessary

Postby Chase20460 » Tue May 15, 2012 12:28 pm

Grimm wrote:
Chase20460 wrote:

I completely agree Chase. I'm playing open this weekend and they that's all unless I'm feeling really comfortable about the course and th field of players. There is no reason to play open for me if I am not going to be able to complete.

Look, I am not saying you shouldnt play where you WANT to play. Its your choice to do so. What I am saying is playing by the guidelines set forth by the PDGA is fine.

Bottom line ( imo ) for Pro/Open ...if your a:

950-960 rated player: Can compete locally and regionally on reg basis.
960-980 rated player: Can get hot and shock...regionally
980-1000 rated player: Can cash mid level in National events, win B-Cs
1010-1020: Should finish near top or Win on National stage- A-Tiers,ect.
1020+: Can compete on World Stage and succeed- Majors

Thats now. What about in 5 years? I dont disagree that guys in the 950 or higher range can get hot and do damage to the course. They can compete in our events and most in Illinois and Iowa. Thats great if thats your goal. The quality of 950 player in Iowa ( imo ) is more like a 960-970 player most days. The fields are small and almost everyone is going to keep pace, like Clue said above. If that isnt your goal, learn how to play in the teaching divisions.

Ill use the disclaimer Im basing this largely off myself and a few other players. I know Im no all star, but I feel I am a better player than my rating reflects...except for consistency issues...which kinda makes it right.. considering consistency is probably the most important factor in playing pro level golf.

Im also not saying a 980-1000 rated golfer cant win a big event. Im saying its going to be very difficult.

Chase20460

PreviousNext

Return to Iowa Tournaments