Graceland Open - JnB Dubs 4/21-/12 - 4/22/12

All Tournaments held in the state of Iowa or by Iowa affilitated clubs.

Postby discgolfduval » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:38 pm

Beerman wrote:And if your name is fausch your in denial and you like heritage.

QFT.
discgolfduval

Postby mkurtz » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:46 pm

8)
matt
I remember many moons ago your parent figures walking around with you at
wild wood park in ottumwa, i was impressed with this and it seems to have paid off for you.
blizzards and wizards
mkurtz

Postby Clue » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:55 am

First off, blizzard discs go far....period. There's no denying this. I think on level ground with moderate wind I can get 50 extra feet out of them. However, I also agree with some of the drawbacks. I think it is very difficult to go back and forth between normal heavy discs and these and expect to get an accurate release point. I also think they are more susceptible to dancing in the wind, especially with up and down drafts. Sometimes this can be good. I've had two throws that were into a slight front right wind that lifted late which actually gave it time to S out which was probably the difference between a normal throw and these. The lighter weight allows them to stay in the air longer.

This leads me to something Dave McCormick told me years ago. The trick with making discs is going to be to combine the spin and speed. When drivers hit the ground they are usually still spinning quite a bit while putters and mids are not. The key is to keep the driver in the air until it runs out of spin. I think these are a step in that direction.

I also agree with Chase that these can be just as accurate as any other disc with lots of practice. It's simply getting the timing down. I've only thrown the Boss and Destroyer but don't have enough reps with either to really discern anything other than the Boss is silly fast with a tailwind!

Now onto a much more contraversial subject and that is JnB. I don't want to crush anyone who likes it. I just want to point out that there's a huge difference between liking something and it being good. I enjoy playing JnB, but I think it's a terrible course. You can argue all you want about perception, but the reality is that there is absolutely no scoring spread for most players. Of course there are exceptions which are the extremes and not the norm. Put a couple 1000+ talent or distance players together and they can possibly deuce a few of the *par 4s*, and conversely shorter players or sub 950 players are gonna have trouble making 3 on many of the longer holes. But for many average to good doubles teams you're going to see in upwards of 14 or 15 3s. 1 and 8 are fairly easy, but the rest of the par 3s are easy to miss, and there's really only 1 hard par 4 which makes most of the other holes pretty easy 3s.

Now that being said, wind can really make the course. It can make some of the holes really hard, and it can make some of the long holes reachable which is definitely fun. And obviously there will be more scoring spread in singles than in doubles so I look forward to seeing how it plays.
Clue

Postby 1semenking » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:27 am

mkurtz wrote:LIKE
8)
matt
wild wood park in ottumwa, i was impressed with this and it seems to have paid off for you.

Must have been back when we were playin CONES.......Thats right!!!! I'm a cone head...can't say that I miss those targets but I sure do miss my origional home course.
1semenking

Postby shane » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:16 am

68 and sunny, yah don't mind if we do!!!
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

Postby discgolfduval » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:42 am

mkurtz wrote:LIKE
8)
matt

Thanks for the props Mike. We have seen quite a bit over the years thats for sure and the folks still have to deal with stories every week whether they are sick of them or not! Couldnt agree more Shane. The forecast is looking SICKLY GOOD for this weekend!
discgolfduval

Lamoni

Postby DLCdisc » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:01 am

Can't wait to get down there. Been looking forward to this one just as much as I was GBO. Hmmmmm Not working, wife & kids at home, good weather, and discin with good people on two cool courses. Sounds like a mastercard commercial---PRICELESS!

On the subject of the Blizzard discs, I say throw what works for you. Clearly they are working for a lot of people so far. The one potential problem I can see is small branches. If you hit a small twig on a tree with a max weight discs, it probably has a better chance of staying close to its original line that that of a lighter weight disc. Of course there is that crazy philosophy of not throwing your discs at trees...maybe I should start there :lol: :lol: .
DLCdisc

Lamoni

Postby DLCdisc » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:52 pm

Hey everybody! Just a heads up. I will have entry forms for the 2012 G&L Clothing Challenge with me at Graceland and J&B this weekend. If you can scrape it together and want to get ahead of the game, bring the cash or your checkbook and get signed up for the Challenge. Much like this weekend, The Challenge weekend will be one you don't want to miss.
DLCdisc

Re: Lamoni

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:25 pm

DLCdisc wrote:The Challenge

I always remember Joe cool making the comment when a bunch of us were complaining about how tough the challenge was that "hey, the don't call it the Des Moines Easy for a reason." so wise Joe cool is........... And maybe with the new sponsor you could change the name.
Adding up scores after league... Greco-"Kerri, you shot 11 up" Kerri- "oh a 65 isn't bad" Greco-"that was the back nine"
3x state champ runner up

Postby shane » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:43 pm

If anyone wants to get signed up on Friday I will be in Lamoni around 1pm. You'll be able to find me out on one of the courses getting stuff set up. If not you can find me Friday night at the Casin I mean at the Chief.

Looks like were going to have some pretty good fields.

Lets give a shout out to Bob Kelley and Brad Carr for keeping DG alive in southern Iowa!!!!
shane

Postby blkwizardsonny » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:17 am

can we get hole 5 at graceland over the water the short so i can go ob :D :D
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny

Postby shane » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:21 am

blkwizardsonny wrote:can we get hole 5 at graceland over the water the short so i can go ob :D :D

Just for you! Consider it done.
shane

Postby Marcovis » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:21 am

Really excited we will play both courses. Always wanted to play j&b but have never been able to make it work.
Marcovis

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:19 am

Marcovis wrote:Really excited we will play both courses. Always wanted to play j&b but have never been able to make it work.

hells yeah bitches. i'm bringing two graceland and j n' b virgins in grimm and potter. i'm almost more excited for them to play than myself.
Last edited by 3x state champ runner up on Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adding up scores after league... Greco-"Kerri, you shot 11 up" Kerri- "oh a 65 isn't bad" Greco-"that was the back nine"
3x state champ runner up

Postby SARG27044 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:35 am

3x state champ runner up wrote:
Marcovis wrote:Really excited we will play both courses. Always wanted to play j&b but have never been able to make it work.

hells yeah bitches. i'm bringing to graceland and j n' b virgins in grimm and potter. i'm almost more excited for them to play than myself.
Oh bud, they haven't played either course yet? Tell em to bring a change of underwear :lol:
SARG27044

PreviousNext

Return to Iowa Tournaments