2012 Disc for a Cure

All Tournaments held in the state of Iowa or by Iowa affilitated clubs.

2012 Disc for a Cure

Postby DLCdisc » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:16 pm

On Sunday, April 29th 2012 I will be hosting a charity tournament to benefit the Iowa Chapter of the Huntington's Disease Society of America. Before I get into any details for the event, allow me to provide some background information:

Huntingtons Disease is a catastrophic, degenerative brain disorder that devastates families for generations. As HD slowly diminishes one's ability to think, eat, talk, walk and reason, they become entirely dependent upon others to complete the simplest of daily tasks. Eventually the weakened individual succumbs to death from pneumonia, heart failure, or other complications. Symptoms typically appear in the prime of one's life between 30 to 50 years old. After the onset of HD, the average life expectancy is only 10-20 years. Children who develop juvenile HD rarely live to adulthood.

I have a close friend that has been diagnosed with the disease and he lost his father to the disease as well. I have always supported them with their other fundraising events, but after his diagnosis I felt like I could help out while doing something I love to do.

There will be a flyer coming soon along with a lot of details. It will be held at Heritage Park in Ankeny, Ia. There will be two rounds played. I realize this is not as popular of a course as many others in the area, so one round will be from a standard layout and the second will be from a safari layout designed by me utilizing some different lines and angles to make better use of the park.

Just getting the word out. The flyer will be coming, so if there are questions let me know. As always, I am looking forward to running another event and making it a fun experience for all involved.

Damon Culver
DLCdisc

Postby Detra319 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:29 pm

Sorry to hear about your friend. Its people like you who go above and beyond over and over and over that has helped us discers develop a good reputation...
The finial... Even with no clouds!
Detra319

Postby Single L » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:26 pm

"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby Ferch » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:26 am

:arrow:
Last edited by Ferch on Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Living for flight. One day at a time.
Ferch

Disc for a Cure

Postby DLCdisc » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:04 am

As usual, great work Corey! Thanks for the help.
DLCdisc

Disc For a Cure

Postby DLCdisc » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:03 pm

The safari layout for the second round on this is nearly finalized. There are a few of the regular holes that will be used, but other than that it will be an Ankeny course none of us have seen before. Not saying its gonna be as killer as TPC or even a couple of our bigger courses, but if you have played Ankeny as many times as I have this will be a welcome and challenging change.

Other updates:
1. There will be Juniors and womens divisions. I want to make this event accessible to some of the people that don't play much or are just getting started. The Juniors and rec women will just play one round and the layout will be slightly modified for them so as not to slow play down overall. Juniors and rec women will be $10 instead of the $20 for all other divisions.
2. There will be some raffle prizes.
3. There will be a 50/50 drawing. Buck a chance or 6 for $5. You get drawn and you get half the cash. The other half goes to the charity.
4. There will be prizes sold through either a blind bidding process or through a progressive bid sheet posted next to the item. For example: The Iowa Barnstormers have donated four free 100 level tickets to any game ($80 value). Not all of the prizes are just for the guys. Most of my helpers for this event are women and they are looking for additional sponsors in other places, so bring you girlfriends, wives, and/or mistresses out for their chance to play or get some prizes.
5. There will be several donated discs for sale ranging from old and used to brand new. (IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING YOU WANT TO DONATE LET ME KNOW). I have a stack of old discs that I usually give to people that are just starting the game. Some of those will go for a dollar or less just to help the charity.
6. There is meat being donated, so there will be grilled food (likely brats, burgers, etc.) for sale between rounds with all proceeds going to the charity.
7. Side action will be available to the competitors that want to go after some cash. $10 per person and will pay the top 1/3.
8. There will probably be T-shirts for sale from previous HD events with all proceeds going to the charity.

I hope to see a lot of you out there for a fun day of disc golf. It is my intention as always, to have a well run event that is fun for all involved. I am just getting warmed up, so more to come. Stay Tuned! :D
Last edited by DLCdisc on Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
DLCdisc

Postby mkurtz » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:47 pm

sounds like a frickin winner to this ol man :)
blizzards and wizards
mkurtz

HD Event

Postby DLCdisc » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:48 pm

Just had a great weekend at Lamoni, and now I want to remind everyone about this event. Two different rounds of disc, food between rounds, raffles, auctions, stuff for sale, side action available, and a lot of fun to be had all in support of a great cause. Hope to see you there. If you have any questions, PM me, email me, text me, or call me 249-2454.

Damon
DLCdisc

Postby crazykrug » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:33 am

I will be there early Sunday morning helping you out brotha.

Bump for the morning crowd.
Member of 2010, 2012, 2013 Bushwhacker State Champions
crazykrug

HD

Postby DLCdisc » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:04 pm

Finalized the safari layout for the second round this morning. For what we have to work with, it will be a lot of fun playing Ankeny with a different look. Hope to see all of you out there.
DLCdisc

Disc for a Cure

Postby DLCdisc » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:13 pm

This just in folks!! There will be a skill-shot portable basket being given away at the event on Sunday through the raffle process.

Just a reminder, if you have any new or used (but still usable) discs that you don't need bring them out and we will slap a great price on them for someone else to enjoy.

This should be fun folks. Don't miss it for only $20.
DLCdisc

Postby blkwizardsonny » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:44 pm

damon i am going to try to make this . dont have much for discs left but will bring what i can . i may have to work tho if so i could atleast come give ya my entry fee for donation . hope to see ya there
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny

Disc for a Cure

Postby DLCdisc » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:09 pm

Thanks Duder! If I survive tomorrow, Sunday will be a blast. Come one, come all.
DLCdisc

Disc for a Cure

Postby DLCdisc » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:04 am

Another update. There will be a players pack / goody bag for the first 48 players registered Sunday morning. Things are shaping up well. Come on out and enjoy.
DLCdisc

Disc for a Cure

Postby DLCdisc » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:19 pm

Well, the turnout was almost as dismal as the weather. I want to extend a special thanks to all of the people that came out and braved the not so nice weather today in support of a good cause. As always at my events, there were a bunch of prizes given away, food available, player packs, etc. With the involvement of myself and a handful of my associates that work with me at Wal-Mart, the time invested in this added a $500 grant to the better than $700 we raised. In total we raised over $1200 at a disc golf event that had 15 players. Hopefully the next time I do this, it will not piggyback two other Iowa tournaments and end up with sucky weather.

Thanks to all that played and helped.
DLCdisc

Next

Return to Iowa Tournaments