2011 Holiday Disc Golf Showdown

All Tournaments held in the state of Iowa or by Iowa affilitated clubs.

Postby blkwizardsonny » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:41 pm

great times next year here yet gj damon and crew
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny

Postby Marcovis » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:56 pm

Had a great time today. Thanks to Damon, Shane, Clue, and everyone else that helped out. Really fun tournament.
Marcovis

Postby Detra319 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:24 am

Jesus, no results yet?!

Kidding! That was an awesome tournament, thanks for the fun Mr. Culver. I really enjoyed the layout of the course, it was challenging yet not over the top. Thanks to Terrace Hills for letting us play there and use their carts, it made for a lot of good times. Wish the weather would have been nicer, but what can you expect in November. No snow at least, right? All in all, my second favorite tourney of the year behind legion, and thats saying something. Thanks again, and I will definitely be there next year!
The finial... Even with no clouds!
Detra319

Postby crazykrug » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:37 am

Detra319 wrote:no results yet?!

you didn't win, happy now? :lol:

sssssssssssssssss
Member of 2010, 2012, 2013 Bushwhacker State Champions
crazykrug

Postby irban » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:54 am

It sucked.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby SARG27044 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:56 am

irban wrote:It sucked.
And blew
SARG27044

Postby SARG27044 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:47 am

had a great time. Thanx for once again puting this on Damon. Thanx to all who helped setup, design the course. Hopefully we get to use the course again.
SARG27044

Postby Detra319 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:54 am

crazykrug wrote:
Detra319 wrote:no results yet?!

you didn't win, happy now? :lol:

sssssssssssssssss

Ha i know right. Hey, i had fun and lost to two good guys. So it goes! Next year!
The finial... Even with no clouds!
Detra319

Postby Beerman » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:41 am

How to 4 putt hole 2 by Dave Beery.

To start with throw your drive to within 75 feet of the basket. Now as you approach your lie throwing your next shot into a head wind don't lay up to the basket, instead throw a turnover putt 30 to the right of the basket and land just short of the bushes. On your second putt find confidence in your self to run at the basket and land 30 feet on the other side. Now on your third attempt realize what a dumb mistake you made on your first and second attempt at putting and lay up because your still putting into a cross wind. Drop in your 5th putt and walk to the next tee because you don't deserve to ride in the cart. Yeah, disc golf.
Beerman

Postby irban » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:09 pm

You suck.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Buzzznation » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:45 pm

Great event!!! My first ball golf course tourny and I had a blast. The course was sick, ammenities were nice, players pack was perfect munchies for the drive home, and a fun raffle/ awards party to top it off. Great turn out as well. Some were labeling this as a DM disc golf reunion with all of the faces you don't see out in tournies much anymore. Great job by Damon, TH staff, and everybody that contributed in some way. What a way to finish off the tourny season.
Beery you weren't the only one with discs blowing all over the place. I saw it all from accidental rollers to shots that got blown behind the original lie to missed 10 foot putts blown to 40 foot comebackers. Some of the toughest wind I've played in for sure. Seemed like every shot was a head wind shot and nothing was stable enough. I would love to get a crack at that place in more suitable conditions.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby shane » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:26 pm

my first shot was supposed to be a hyzer, threw my fx and watched it go to the right of it's mark 150' ob turned around and said, well that was the most stable thing in my bag it's gonna be a long day.
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

Postby CalebP » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:32 pm

The layout for the holes was awesome. Some real signature holes. Loved the course, LOVE the golf carts. Too bad it was a damage control day and not a skill shot day. Ill be back next year.
CalebP
Site Admin

Postby The Donator » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:41 pm

shane wrote:my first shot was supposed to be a hyzer, threw my fx and watched it go to the right of it's mark 150' ob turned around and said, well that was the most stable thing in my bag it's gonna be a long day.

Lol same here, start on hole 2 and it was the first time ive ever seen the driver flip, and said the exact same thing as you
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Holiday Showdown

Postby DLCdisc » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:30 pm

Oh Boy -- Where to begin. Now that I have gotten my first good night sleep in a week and a nap to boot, I have enough energy to sit down and send some shout outs.

Help with the course design -- Thanks a ton to Shane and Clue for helping design the course. There was not a day, including when we walked it the first time, that is wasn't breezy or windy. The wind yesterday took away some of the variety we worked hard to build into it, but I think you can imagine what types of shots you would have wanted in calm conditions.

Thanks to everyone that brought out baskets to make this possible.

Help with registration, scores, etc. -- My wife Danielle and my best friend Mike were a huge help. Jason K, Corey P, Shane S, Scott I, Scott W, and I am sure I am leaving someone out. All of these people were extremely helpful in getting scores checked, added, posted, scorecards done, and payouts taken care of.

Thanks to Eddie M. for running the Ace fund throwoff.

Huge thanks to everyone that came out and played. 94 people came out to play this despite most of you knowing what the wind had in store for us. I think a combination of fond memories from people that have played the event in the past, and a lot of buzz over the new venue took the turnout well above my expectations. I think we well passed the threshold of where the TD should not be playing. Same results next year and I will be sitting out to keep things running smooth.

Thanks to everyone for conducting themselves well. In talking with Joe at the course, things worked out well. It is the end of the season for them and we helped him clean up his food inventory and generated a good deal of revenue for them on a day they probably wouldn't have made a hundred bucks. When the guy that makes the decision says, " that was a lot of fun and we learned a few things to different NEXT TIME," it is a good indicator that we might be welcomed back.

Thanks for everyone's patience during the awards. The large number of prizes and the large number of players made things move along a little slower than a lot of people would like. I think everyone that came had a good time, but we have already discussed some ideas to make things go more efficiently next year and to enable out-of-town players to get a prize without delaying their trip home. Probably do a Saturday next year as well so not as many people will be in a rush to get home for work the next day. The feedback from the staff at Fireside Grill was positive. Did have one person skip out on their tab, but when I took care of that and gave them a fat tip to share amongst themselves they also said, "See you next year".

I want to reitterate the huge appreciation for all of the donations and sponsors, many of which are on this message board. I will post the list if need be, but the best way to keep them coming back to support us is to acknowledge their contribution. When you use the gift certificate or visit these businesses, tell them Thank You for supporting the Holiday Disc Golf Showdown.

I am probably forgetting something, but I really appreciate all of the positive feedback many of you have given. The best part of this for me is seeing happy participants when things go well. You can't make everyone happy, but the better things go the more driven I am to make it better the next time. The fun and excitement that has come from this event growing has even prompted some people to approach me about being involved and contributing to the next one.

Corey has the scores done up and is planning to post them with ratings for everyone to see how it went. He also did a great job with the tee signs, scorecards, and scoreport cards.

See you all at the Ice Bowl -- start collecting your food now.

Later,
Damon
DLCdisc

PreviousNext

Return to Iowa Tournaments