Team 2012

All Tournaments held in the state of Iowa or by Iowa affilitated clubs.

Team 2012

Postby Clue » Mon May 02, 2011 2:47 pm

I truly mean this when I say that when we discussed this year's format the goal was to be as inclusive and fair as possible. Some didn't see it that way. One of the ideas I heard was to have a ratings cap which I kind of like. I'd love to explore more ideas for the team structure, but I won't change it until Stibal admits we're just better and he can't win unless we handicap it.

So, here are the issues we were confronted with this year:

1. No woman and master designation. I just don't see this changing. While a couple teams could benefit from these designations, I don't think they are hurt by not having them and I think it actually would hurt a majority of possible teams, most notably Ames, NI, and CFW (who fielded a formidable team in their debut despite losing their 1 seed the week of the event). However, if someone made a compelling argument for this that was inclusive of everyone's interest rather than just their own I'm certainly willing to listen.

2. Date. I literally did not hear one thing about how this was supposed to be some pre-season kick off event until this last week. In fact, I mostly heard the opposite. Yes it was early April the last 2 years in CR, but I don't remember that necessarily being the case in years past. I think a mid-season date is preferable for most people except the more touring players such as AO, MDR, and Peyton. But, I don't want to go another year without teams fielding their best players so we'll figure this out with captains.

3. Pro/Adv designations. Again, as long as everyone starts their arguments with DM is the best I'd be happy to listen to format suggestions. I actually do like the ratings cap idea. However, I still believe this tournament is way more competitive than people give it credit for. If CR and QC showed up with their usual lineups as well as Iowa City then this thing would be wide open. CFW should've won and they didn't even have Tissue.

4. Venue. Just for Stiers, we may have to move to Ewing or Pickard, but I'd even be amenable to a more neutral location like Newton. The way we've been playing this it has to be a shorter course. Personally, I really want to go back to a 2-day format with doubles included but there's been a lot of resistance to that.
Clue

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Mon May 02, 2011 5:34 pm

DSM is the best, ok........... sorry i just threw up in my mouth, why not have the seed designation blind? why have seeds 1-4 pro and 5-8 am, why not just have the captains seed their players randomly and don't show any of them till game day, kind of like a one division one champion thing, seems that works somewhere else, now where was that???????????????

i may be mildly retarded when it comes to this but rest assured, cr will be in the finals for 2012, believe it!
Last edited by 3x state champ runner up on Mon May 02, 2011 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adding up scores after league... Greco-"Kerri, you shot 11 up" Kerri- "oh a 65 isn't bad" Greco-"that was the back nine"
3x state champ runner up

Postby blkwizardsonny » Mon May 02, 2011 6:30 pm

3x State Champ Runner Up wrote:DSM is the best, ok........... sorry i just threw up in my mouth, why not have the seed designation blind? why have seeds 1-4 pro and 5-8 am, why not just have the captains seed their players randomly and don't show any of them till game day, kind of like a one division one champion thing, seems that works somewhere else, now where was that???????????????

i maybe mildly retarded when it comes to this but rest assured, cr will be in the finals for 2012, believe it!
call
blkwizardsonny

Re: Team 2012

Postby blkwizardsonny » Mon May 02, 2011 6:33 pm

Clue wrote:I truly mean this when I say that when we discussed this year's format the goal was to be as inclusive and fair as possible. Some didn't see it that way. One of the ideas I heard was to have a ratings cap which I kind of like. I'd love to explore more ideas for the team structure, but I won't change it until Stibal admits we're just better and he can't win unless we handicap it.

So, here are the issues we were confronted with this year:

1. No woman and master designation. I just don't see this changing. While a couple teams could benefit from these designations, I don't think they are hurt by not having them and I think it actually would hurt a majority of possible teams, most notably Ames, NI, and CFW (who fielded a formidable team in their debut despite losing their 1 seed the week of the event). However, if someone made a compelling argument for this that was inclusive of everyone's interest rather than just their own I'm certainly willing to listen.

2. Date. I literally did not hear one thing about how this was supposed to be some pre-season kick off event until this last week. In fact, I mostly heard the opposite. Yes it was early April the last 2 years in CR, but I don't remember that necessarily being the case in years past. I think a mid-season date is preferable for most people except the more touring players such as AO, MDR, and Peyton. But, I don't want to go another year without teams fielding their best players so we'll figure this out with captains.

3. Pro/Adv designations. Again, as long as everyone starts their arguments with DM is the best I'd be happy to listen to format suggestions. I actually do like the ratings cap idea. However, I still believe this tournament is way more competitive than people give it credit for. If CR and QC showed up with their usual lineups as well as Iowa City then this thing would be wide open. CFW should've won and they didn't even have Tissue.

4. Venue. Just for Stiers, we may have to move to Ewing or Pickard, but I'd even be amenable to a more neutral location like Newton. The way we've been playing this it has to be a shorter course. Personally, I really want to go back to a 2-day format with doubles included but there's been a lot of resistance to that.
i like doubles included but i dont think many people want to make a weekend out of it imo i guess i better qualify before i give ideas sssssss
blkwizardsonny

Postby Abe Froman » Mon May 02, 2011 6:37 pm

lmao @ clue.

like the ratings cap, love the venue change. and when we win next year i promise it wont be @ jones again :wink:

idc really about the date as long as its picked well in advance and doesnt bunch too near doom. just didnt work for me this year, my daughter had a big dance recital i would never in my life miss for anything.
Abe Froman

Postby blkwizardsonny » Mon May 02, 2011 7:54 pm

Abe Froman wrote:lmao @ clue.

like the ratings cap, love the venue change. and when we win next year i promise it wont be @ jones again :wink:

idc really about the date as long as its picked well in advance and doesnt bunch too near doom. just didnt work for me this year, my daughter had a big dance recital i would never in my life miss for anything.
fam and kids always first
blkwizardsonny

Postby The Donator » Mon May 02, 2011 9:14 pm

Dubs was always my favorite part of the tournament. Make it two days, people can take off a freaking weekend out of 52 in the year or skip some C-tier for once.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby Clue » Mon May 02, 2011 11:40 pm

3x State Champ Runner Up wrote:DSM is the best, ok........... sorry i just threw up in my mouth, why not have the seed designation blind? why have seeds 1-4 pro and 5-8 am, why not just have the captains seed their players randomly and don't show any of them till game day, kind of like a one division one champion thing, seems that works somewhere else, now where was that???????????????

This has always been available. In fact Doug P is the only one who wanted seeds ahead of time to do the schedule!
Clue

Postby blkwizardsonny » Tue May 03, 2011 12:41 am

The Donator wrote:Dubs was always my favorite part of the tournament. Make it two days, people can take off a freaking weekend out of 52 in the year or skip some C-tier for once.
easy to say coming from some one who doesnt work weekends get treated like gold round here sonny lol
blkwizardsonny

Postby GDL17921 » Tue May 03, 2011 9:36 am

blkwizardsonny wrote:
The Donator wrote:Dubs was always my favorite part of the tournament. Make it two days, people can take off a freaking weekend out of 52 in the year or skip some C-tier for once.
easy to say coming from some one who doesnt work weekends get treated like gold round here sonny lol

qft
GDL17921

Postby Chase20460 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:25 am

Go back to stroke play. Match is stupid over 8 holes.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Re: Team 2012

Postby Captain » Thu May 05, 2011 8:36 am

Clue wrote:...but I won't change it until Stibal admits we're just better and he can't win unless we handicap it.

Never, never!!!

IMO - I didn't like the date change or the ratings cap change. I think early in the season is part of what makes this event. It's a chance to get everyone together before "the real season" starts. I liked making accommodations for the the women and the old men (though I realize this is a real problem for some teams to find a women).

As for the complaints about the venue -- do you people realize how long it takes to play the event on an easy course? It would take much longer on a harder course. We're under a time crunch and speed of play needs to trump difficulty.

I also say no to a 2-day event.

Meh, curmudgeon! I digress,,,,,,,,,
Captain

Postby peyton » Thu May 05, 2011 9:26 am

If you truly want to do this tournament like a team then play it like the President's cup or Ryder cup. One round of singles (match play) and three rounds of doubles or something similar. Teams of two best shot, worst and alternate, etc. Then you may be able to use the bigger, harder or more challenging courses. Or play 36 holes with all eight alternating (It would be like a regular round at Jones)
peyton

Postby blkwizardsonny » Thu May 05, 2011 6:10 pm

peyton wrote:If you truly want to do this tournament like a team then play it like the President's cup or Ryder cup. One round of singles (match play) and three rounds of doubles or something similar. Teams of two best shot, worst and alternate, etc. Then you may be able to use the bigger, harder or more challenging courses. Or play 36 holes with all eight alternating (It would be like a regular round at Jones)
like this idea
blkwizardsonny

Postby Ferch » Thu May 05, 2011 10:07 pm

blkwizardsonny wrote:
peyton wrote:If you truly want to do this tournament like a team then play it like the President's cup or Ryder cup. One round of singles (match play) and three rounds of doubles or something similar. Teams of two best shot, worst and alternate, etc. Then you may be able to use the bigger, harder or more challenging courses. Or play 36 holes with all eight alternating (It would be like a regular round at Jones)
like this idea

^^^^^
Living for flight. One day at a time.
Ferch

Next

Return to Iowa Tournaments