River Cities Rumble Question

All Tournaments held in the state of Iowa or by Iowa affilitated clubs.

Should we play 19 holes at Eastern Avenue Park for the Rumble?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:56 am

Yes, let's play 19 holes.
62%
No, let's keep it at the standard 18 holes.
38%

Total votes : 26

River Cities Rumble Question

Postby batlord » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:56 am

Quick question for the peanut gallery.

Should we play 19 holes at Eastern Avenue Park for the Rumble?

The course at Eastern Avenue Park has 19 holes. 18 regular and 1 practice basket with a pro and am tee. During leagues and other tournaments, our locals guys almost always work hole 19 into the mix.

It is a really tricky hole from either tee. It's got some water (mainly from the pro tee).

I originally was not planning to play it, but when our local guys found out, I got an earful. So I'd be happy to take this under advisement from non-QC golfers.
batlord

Postby 10up » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:59 am

who all is playing Eastern for the rumble, is it just going to be am's or pro's as well?

I've never been to Eastern, but it's just my opinion that unless 19 holes are needed due to lots of people you should always play a standard 18 (or 24, viva la westlake)

Also, Pro's shouldn't leave Westlake the whole tournament.
10up

Postby batlord » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:19 am

The way the format is laid out now, the Advanced pool will play Eastern Avenue from the shorts (w concrete tees) and the Advanced Masters and Intermediates will play Eastern from both sets of tees. The pros will NOT play Eastern Avenue. The pros will instead play West Lake twice - that's as good as I can do for you 10up... ha ha

Chad
batlord

Postby peyton » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:19 am

I have only played Eastern once but does the 19th hole add to the ease of the flow or will it be out of the way and a potential play stopper?
peyton

Postby Lou Siffer » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:30 am

Although I'm not super fond of it, I play Eastern more than any course because it's 3 minutes from my house.

The people I play with always play 19. I actually look at it as a 19 hole course. I think 19 is one of the more technically challenging holes Eastern has to offer (Except from the long which is pretty easy).

19 is not out of the way when you're coming from 18 and, when your finished with it, you're at the parking lot.
Last edited by Lou Siffer on Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then we shall find the way."
-Abraham Lincoln
Lou Siffer

Postby batlord » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:32 am

Good question, Doug. It's more or less between the 18th basket and the 1st tee. It's not really a flow stopper. But I guess my concern would be that people are used to playing 18 holes and might skip that hole. It would be well marked to eleviate this problem (in theory).
batlord

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:37 am

I don't think it matters one way or the other Chad. It won't hinder flow, if anything it'll help. It gives the ability for more players, too. Might just have to add a temp hole at Middle, but that would be easy.

Advanced is playing the pads now? Do you guys value my opinion that much :oops: , or was I not the only one that expressed concern? :P :lol: I think you're doing the right thing.
GDL17921

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:39 am

batlord wrote:Good question, Doug. It's more or less between the 18th basket and the 1st tee. It's not really a flow stopper. But I guess my concern would be that people are used to playing 18 holes and might skip that hole. It would be well marked to eleviate this problem (in theory).

Or have the course TD's station on the south side of the parking lot, so every card passes by there, and gets reminded.
GDL17921

Postby batlord » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:57 am

GDL17921 wrote:I don't think it matters one way or the other Chad. It won't hinder flow, if anything it'll help. It gives the ability for more players, too. Might just have to add a temp hole at Middle, but that would be easy.

Advanced is playing the pads now? Do you guys value my opinion that much :oops: , or was I not the only one that expressed concern? :P :lol: I think you're doing the right thing.

Of course we don't value your opinion that much, Jay. You don't think we've gone all soft since you left, did you? ha ha. It gave me something to think about, though. The decision was made based on the challenge of the other two courses. Despite what people think, I'm not out to destroy people's golf ego. If you've got two challenging courses, why not play a course that is more straight forward (some people call it boring, but I think they're full of crap and just like to run their mouths)? At Eastern if you can drive a long ways and can't putt, you'll still be able to deuce. On the flip side, if you don't have a huge arm, but can putt, you will still be able to deuce. From the long tees, only the big arms have the advantage. I would rather see 2's and 3's on the cards from the advanced players, than 3's and 4's. (See, I'm not a tyrant).

See, a long winded explanation for a simple answer. I blame Jay for making me long winded.

And we're not going to add additional temp holes this year. When we fill up, we fill up. Hopefully, moms will understand. Good idea, but more trouble than it's worth considering we've still got the temp holes at West Lake (until June/July 2007).
batlord

Postby K.C. » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:12 am

Lou wrote:I think 19 is one of the more technically challenging holes Eastern has to offer (Except from the long which is pretty easy).

Lou, you're thinking of 19's "long" that was made up for I *think* Pat's singles league, which is NOT the actual long tee pad. The long tee-pad for 19 is not easy, considering you have to make up your mind to throw 375 ft (or maybe a tad bit more) over the lagoon, through the gap or over the pine tree, or simply lay up for a shorter shot over the lagoon. The tee pad is actually much closer to #10's long pad, except pushed against the tree line.

Either way...play it! Its there, its a fun shot (from both pads), why NOT use it?
K.C.

Postby Buzzznation » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:23 am

I prefer to keep 18 holes at a super tour event. If the 19th hole is a tough, challenging hole and a lot of people like it, maybe eliminate a less desirable hole somewhere else on the course. Just a thought.
Buzzznation

Postby batlord » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:27 am

Buzzznation wrote:I prefer to keep 18 holes at a super tour event. If the 19th hole is a tough, challenging hole and a lot of people like it, maybe eliminate a less desirable hole somewhere else on the course. Just a thought.

Interesting thought as it might cause confusion with people adding scorecards after the round since it woudln't be par 54. Good point.
batlord

Postby Chase20460 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:57 am

Yeah, thats 19s PUSSY pad Lou.

I say play 19, as it wont hurt flow and is a cool hole, from both pads.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby Single L » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:02 pm

Buzzznation wrote:I prefer to keep 18 holes at a super tour event. If the 19th hole is a tough, challenging hole and a lot of people like it, maybe eliminate a less desirable hole somewhere else on the course. Just a thought.

I agree, a 19 hole layout is odd for a super tour (although the Majestic has all types of layouts). I like hole 19 and would also recommend taking out a less desirable hole. With proper signage the flow and confusion should not become a problem.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby Like_Water » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:52 pm

batlord wrote:The way the format is laid out now, the Advanced pool will play Eastern Avenue from the shorts (w concrete tees) and the Advanced Masters and Intermediates will play Eastern from both sets of tees. The pros will NOT play Eastern Avenue. The pros will instead play West Lake twice - that's as good as I can do for you 10up... ha ha

Chad

YES YES YES!!!!!!!!
YES YES YES!!!!!!!!
YES YES YES!!!!!!!!
YES YES YES!!!!!!!!
YES YES YES!!!!!!!!
YES YES YES!!!!!!!!
YES YES YES!!!!!!!!
YES YES YES!!!!!!!!
YES YES YES!!!!!!!!
YES YES YES!!!!!!!!
YES YES YES!!!!!!!!