2007 River Cities Rumble - an A-Tier event

All Tournaments held in the state of Iowa or by Iowa affilitated clubs.

Postby Chase20460 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:24 am

Eminem4president wrote:
MDR_3000 wrote:Open players aren't playing Eastern.

Oops, your right Mikey, my bad

Move up Chase.

I was speaking in general, mainly for the reasons you pointed out. Devils Glen is a shot makers course, Eastern is a flat driving course, for any division.

I make no promises to where Ill play, thanks to amnesty, but I dont expect to play Am.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby Chase20460 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:29 am

K.C. wrote:
Chase20460 wrote:Just out of curiosity, why Eastern and not Devils Glen?

I'm guessing that it has more to do with the temporary holes than anything else, but again...I'm speaking out of line, as this was really Chad's decision (which I'll stand behind, as it is HIS tourney). But, I think it had to do with maintaining 24 temp holes out at Westlake (cuz the course still won't be permanent until after the tournament), and then maintaining 6 MORE temp holes out at Devils Glen. Its both a lot of work for more than one person, and a lot to be held accountable for, especially over a two day tournament. I think using two permanent courses made more sense.

Well, you have to have TDs at each course, so the temp arguement would work better if you said " It probably has alot to do with finding 24-32 baskets."

Obviously Chad is running the event and will choose what he likes, Im not trying to change or question that, KC, neither is anyone else. It was a simple question.

Chase20460

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:47 am

there's solutions to that, too. Even if WL isn't ready or doesn't have the tees constructed yet, collars could be installed in some strategic locations so some of the baskets wouldn't have to be temps. Of course that would mean getting some baskets from either another course or getting Davenport to buy them before the tourney, or borrowing some baskets from another course. That set/up, take down must be a brutal task. Kind of a ass-backwards way of getting the course installed, but it could help with tournament day work, if at all possible.

I have to agree with Chase on Devil's Glen. Except for the fact that it's 12 holes, it's still one of the QC's best, IMO. (And I've played Middle 2X.) Eastern ain't even worth the powder and shot to blow it up with. And after a round at WL, who wants to walk a 9,000 foot flat boring course? DG will provide an opportunity to score in the tournament, where at WL you will have to play a solid safe round. Middle has a pretty good mix, those three combined would make for an awesome tournament. I think that throwing Eastern into the mix will leave players saying they liked two of the courses. Why not have them leave loving all 3?
GDL17921

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:49 am

Another thought.....

Using Eastern would be like using Waterworks (DSM) for an A tier instead of Walnut Ridge. :lol:

Oh yeah, and KC.....you'll never be able to shut me up. :P
GDL17921

Postby Chase20460 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:39 pm

I agree. I also think it will be a great event either way, and hopefully by next year, Devils Glen will have 18 holes.

I also have to think it may be with Davenport being the focus moreso than Bettendorf, which I can also understand.

Again, either way I dont care. Just curious.

Chase20460

Postby Like_Water » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:18 pm

I haven't read the whole thread....but right now, the best courses are Westlake, Middle, and Devils Glenn. Eastern would be a nice course if you want to allow players to score. Otherwise, it's like The Challenge, just survive baby!

As far as Middle goes the fact there is not a bridge where there should be, almost makes it impossible to have a big event there. you can do it, but it's definately a big negative if you're trying to get a couple hundred guests through the course and are asking them to walk across random rocks to get to the backside of the course....No one is going to walk around.

There is no wrong way to do it. Just have good directions made, be kind to everyone and it's all good.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby batlord » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:19 am

It's good to see there's some conversation about this upcoming event. And thanks K.C. for fielding questions for me while I've been in... hmmm, let's see - London, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Madison, and Chicago. I'm back for a while and should be able to answer people's questions as well.

That being said, I REALLY hope to have the website that is posted in the world news and on the PDGA website up an running soon. There's a bit of a hold up with the "behind the scenes" stuff. But I'm hoping to have it ironed out sooner rather than later. And once it's up, it's going to be an ever-changing site, so people will need to check back often, I'm sure.

I know a lot of people would like to see Devils Glen in the mix, as would I, but for now, it's just not feasible. I do think that course is top notch, and I also gained a new perspective of it (especially the greens) from Chase's comments when it first went in. It's a quality course, I agree. But this year, we won't be utilizing it.

As far as Eastern Avenue is concerned, the people that will be playing it the most are the people who NEED to play it. The Intermediate players will play it from the shorts and longs. Those players NEVER play that course from the longs. So they'll have the chance to play the course they're familiar with (still the top played course in the area from what I can see). the advanced players will most likely play the longs, regardless of the tee surface. If the pro tees are done, great. If not, it's not a big deal. From the pro tees, I still don't see a lot of advanced players shooting under par (maybe 1 or 2), so I think it's a challenging course. Factor in the water, wind, trees, basket placements and length, and I think it makes up for the lack of elevation. Just my opinion. Plus, we need to have a serious event run at this course. You've all said it before, so this shoudl be nothing new. We'll hold something else at DG some other time.

I'll stop rambling (again). As more info becomes available, I'll post it here and/or the new website.

Chad
batlord

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:28 am

I think that the walk around from hole 10 to 11 at Middle will help to disburse the backups that will ensue on hole 11. Using that long placement on hole 10 might be not such a good idea, too, especially if the water is impassable. Trust me, I'd like to see it there, but it's not really that safe to have 70+ people fjording that crick.
GDL17921

Postby batlord » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:04 pm

Right now, I'm steering towards the long on that one, but I do understand there may be some issues with the creek. we may just wait until the week/morning of and make the call. The same thing will happen when it's in play now. Some people will take the road, and some people will take the rocks through the creek. I have an issue with wussing out on a really beautiful and challenging hole because some people can't cowboy up and make a little walk over the overpass. But I may change my mind before the event. It's actually the same distance to walk around as it is from basket 1 to tee 2 at eastern.

Despite the fact that K.C. wants you to shut your yapper (hopefully, he's kidding), I welcome your input Jay. You do'nt have to agree with me (most people don't), but I'd rather have the "other side" for me to hash out before the event. Thanks, brother.
batlord

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:24 pm

hey no problem, and I'm sure KC was kiddin'. :lol:

I've only played Middle 2X, and the first time, the creek was passable, and I made the pass. The rocks in there are actually quite sturdy, and as long as you're sober, it's not bad at all getting across. It's actually pretty fun. I think that a bridge isn't even necessary. Some steps getting down to the pass would be helpful though.

The second time I played Middle, it was raining, and the creek was not passable, unless you had a canoe. The walk across the bridge isn't that bad, and less than Eastern's walk from 9 to 10.

And as far as putting it in the long, go for it, that benefits the lefty. I'd like to see somebody pure that straight at it line though. That would be sick. I Remember your previous post when you said you parked it, was that an anny, or a laser?
GDL17921

Postby batlord » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:34 pm

new-ish sidewinder. flips over to the right, then comes back when it slows down. Only let me down once on that hole, honestly. I've never seen anyone go straight at it, yet. I'd love to see a lefty throw it. I'll bet balk could put a drive up into that parking lot over your left shoulder...
batlord

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:46 pm

nothing that impressive about a lefty shot there, just a spike hyzer, although I can't remember how high you can get it off the tee. Are there branches preventing the spike?
GDL17921

Postby batlord » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:58 pm

yeah, it's a pretty low ceiling shot there. It's just a flat hyzer for lefties, but you have the front door and the back door. Just not sure what lefties prefer on that hole from the tee. My hope is to get more video footage of you putting three shots into the drink in this year's event. It served you well in last year's tourney, so I'm only half-mocking. ha ha
batlord

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:22 pm

yeah, haha, I still won my card, and shot the second best score in my division that round (89), even with that triple circle 9.

And I'm still waiting to see that footage. I'm more interested to see the look on my face. :oops:
GDL17921

Postby Chase20460 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:23 pm

I go straight at it. Man up.

Chase20460

PreviousNext

Return to Iowa Tournaments