Sugar Bottom - Turkey Sun Oct 8th ONE DIVISION

All Tournaments held in the state of Iowa or by Iowa affilitated clubs.

Sugar Bottom - Turkey Sun Oct 8th ONE DIVISION

Postby peyton » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:32 pm

This will be a non-sanctioned tournament. If your an am and want to test the waters here is your chance. It will be $20 to enter and will have a side ace fund. There will be one trophy and the top 1/3 will get paid by PDGA scale. All the money taken in will be given back to someone.

Signup will be from ~8am - 9am @ Sugar somewhere near Hole 1.

The first round will be at Sugar Bottom @ around 9:30a.

There is only one division. Anyone can play. $20 to try and cash.

Starting at Sugar Bottom, then Turkey. We can decide on Sunday.

I looked for any other tournaments on-line and didn't see any close. I know Roctober Doubles is Saturday, but I can't go so I have to make my own tournament up.

I will try and see if we can get the two courses in the toughest positions for play.

Please let me know if there is anything I will run into problem wise, I can maybe adjust date or time.
Last edited by peyton on Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peyton

Clarification

Postby prodiscgolf » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:21 pm

The Peninsula is not open for general use play yet. We haven't finished the course and without more mowing, it's not ready to play.
prodiscgolf

Re: Clarification

Postby The Donator » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:39 pm

prodiscgolf wrote:The Peninsula is not open for general use play yet. We haven't finished the course and without more mowing, it's not ready to play.

I know the course isnt "officially" open Jeff, but since the baskets have been put in, there have been dozens and dozens of rec players ive never seen before playing out there the past few days. Twosomes and foursomes on almost every hole. I guess word of mouth spreads quick.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby prodiscgolf » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:48 am

I know that there are people out there playing already. I expected that and wanted some people to play the course so we can see where all the tall grass is stomped down so we can adjust the mowing patterns early. My point is that until the next time the mowers get out there, it's very rough including the middle of some of the fairways. The first time we played the course, we spent 25 minutes looking for a disc that landed in the middle of #11's fairway. I'm not sure that will work for any mini tourney.

My other concern is that someone would hold a tourney on a course that we haven't finished. Baskets in the ground doesn't constitute finished. I know Doug isn't doing this to honk anyone off, but he hasn't talked to me about this. Some of our extremely dedicated and hard working volunteers are taking exception to having someone else host a round of a unsanctioned tourney on the course before we're done with the work. I would venture to guess that very few of the people who will actually play Sunday will have actually worked on the course. Out of respect to those of us who have amassed almost 1,000 hours working on the course, I'd rather not have them play a mini tourney until we consider our work done. I hope everyone can respect that.

The original intent of this unsanctioned event was to have something happen in Iowa City because we haven't hosted anything in quite some time. Gee, we've been a little busy improving the two existing courses and installing another. Hosting at Turkey & Sugar would be just fine and enough of a challenge to get done before dark. I don't even know if Sugar's been mowed lately either.

By the way, we still have lots of work to be done on the Peninsula course. EVERYONE'S still welcome to help us finish. I'd rather be playing too - I've actually only thrown 16 holes out there so far.

Jeff.
prodiscgolf

Postby peyton » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:44 pm

Jeff,
I had only planned on playing at Sugar & Turkey anyway. Someone from your area suggested playing Pennisula since the baskets are in and people are playing it. I did not think of that by myself.

SORRY if I angered anyone who has put time into getting the Pennisula course ready for play. I know how much work everyone put in to get this course ready to go. I was not trying to steal your Thunder. This was only meant to be a meeting to play a couple of nice courses. (Not really a tournament) I only run one of those anymore.

Once again we will be at Sugar to start the day Sunday.
peyton

Postby prodiscgolf » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:08 pm

Thanks Doug, I want to play the course myself as you can imagine. I know how things have transpired, and I'm beginning to think we put the baskets out too soon. I knew it would cause trouble if they were out too early. Still lots to get done.
prodiscgolf

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:48 pm

I thought I remembered you posting somewhere that they (the baskets) wouldn't be out till it was done. I'd think that some may have taken the baskets out as your blessing to play away.

Can't wait to see the new course. :D
GDL17921

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:40 pm

Ithink you will find the more people that play it, the less work you will have clearing out weeds etc, you might also find that most of the people who are playing your course have experence in this sport and will be able to give you possitive feed back. Plus, playing it might motivate more people in your area to lend a hand in the effort to make this the best, and I will repeat for you non believers, the best course in Iowa. I myself, frog,am ready to come and help when you need it. I'm free sundays, I have a chainsaw, bring a truck, call the city or a tree service get some more mulch, kevin can rally some bushwackers up, get a beer fund going and get this done. To quote Howard"the man"Dean "YYYEEAAHHH!!!!!!

PS: In defense of Mr. Peyton, I think he's going down been down the course construction road before and knows how this all works
frogawitdafizzle

Postby The Donator » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:54 am

frogawitdafizzle wrote:To quote Howard"the man"Dean "YYYEEAAHHH!!!!!!

No no, it was, "PEEYYAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with an upward fist motion!!!"
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby prodiscgolf » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:16 pm

Thanks all for you kind words. I've already PM'd Doug so he knows how I feel on the topic and I'm sure he understands where we're coming from. As for the work, we work Monday evenings now starting at 5:00 until just after dark. :) Where were you for the last 41 weeks? :roll: We don't really need chain saws all that much unless there are some stumps out there that didn't get cut to ground level. We're now waiting for the City to complete some of their tasks and we have a message board to construct and install.

BTW: there's no alcohol allowed in Iowa City Parks, sorry.
prodiscgolf

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:55 pm

I came out there the first monday, that you had posted your new workdays were at 5:00, at 5: 30. I seen some guy mid 20's with a bandana on weed whipping on 10, then an order guy asrcoss the fairway on another hole with a chain saw or perhaps a hedge trimmer, waived thought maybe some would stop and direct me where to go but they just kind of walked away. I was wearing a blue hoody jeans and a white hat. By the way, Kevin had told me a few months ago, on the old site you said you needed 4x4's, I took a few from some job sites I was working on and bought a couple cheap from suburban, then a week later kevin told me the city dropped off a bunch, and you didnt need them any more. If you still want them, they are sitting in my dad's driveway, at 255 Ridge dr. marion Ia. I think he going to use them for his deck, catch him in the am he might let you have them.
As, for mondays, give me a breaK. iF YOU WANT SOMETHING DONE, YOU GET IT DONE. I can help you do whatever on sunday, I work late most mondays, but am willing to come even sat, fri night. why say Mondays 5:00, when someone willing to help on sunday. Peoples lives are different, maybe we should get together( I think you would like my help, I'm a bull when comes to manuel labor) sun up sunday, I'll round up some people and you can show me what you would like to focus on before winter and get you the help you need.(btw, chain saws for the count less fallen debris which can be transported with ease by wheel barrow, truck, etc when cut in smaller sections. I'm not trying to be a dick just would like to help in any way I can.
frogawitdafizzle

Postby Abe Froman » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:32 am

frogawitdafizzle wrote: 255 Ridge dr. marion Ia.

im sending 100 pizza's to your mom's house right now.
Abe Froman

Postby prodiscgolf » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:35 pm

I wasn't trying to be difficult either, just tired of managing this process for the past 18 months. I'm so ready to have this finished.

Sorry we missed you that night. Without advanced notice, I wouldn't have known to look for you. If we see someone walking around out there, we assume it's someone just enjoying the trails and there have been lots of walkers. We even had a carload of discers with disc bags in hand show up on a work night in July asking where the course started. When we said they could help work, they got back in the car and left. We've had that kind of luck.

Anyway, we're past the major work out there. See our message board for what we need done. If you can tell where and what it is, you're welcome to go out there and do it on Sunday or any other day as some of our volunteers have done on their own. We stopped working weekends when the tourney season started because no one else showed up to work. We picked Monday nights because it would work for most of us. Even though I may be done with weekend tourneys, my kids have sports both days of the weekend so I'm still shut out of being able to get out there. I also have Sunday morning commitments with my church so I can't meet you early Sundays either. You may want to talk to Kevin again; he may have more time to meet up with you to discuss what we need to have done. I certainly don't want to turn away help, but I don't have a lot of extra time on my hands if this is going to get done before the snow flies and if my family doesn't put an abrupt end to my involvement.

Gotta run.
prodiscgolf

Postby Chase20460 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:41 pm

Everything still happening with this? If I cant make Homies, Im coming up for this.

Hope so!
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby peyton » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:41 pm

Chase, this is still on. We are going to take sign up Sunday from 8-9am at Sugar Bottom. This is just a round at Sugar and Turkey in the afternoon for cash. I do have a trophy and I have spent $3.74 on scorecards. Just basically an semi-organized competitive bunch of discers getting together. I do have a 1/3 payscale chart I put together for fairness and posting. Sounds like some of the Iowa City bushwackers will be there and some from Waterloo. I know of a couple from CR coming down also. Hopefully we can get 20 + players. Very low key but hopefully very competitive.
peyton

Next

Return to Iowa Tournaments