1st Annual Dispatch & Argus B-TIER EVENT- Oct 21st/Oct 2

All Tournaments held in the state of Iowa or by Iowa affilitated clubs.

Postby Bradbalk » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:31 pm

Eminem4president wrote:
Do you think he got where he is by dominating an AM division? He jumped right in there with Sias, Headrick, Hosfeld, among others.

I joined the PDGA 2 and a half years ago, as an Open player. I have never played in another division and I have watched myself go from 938 to 992 in 2 years......

"think for yourself or the government will think it for you"

I agree with you completely that playing in better divisions will only make you better, however I do feel that the system in place is acceptable and the choice should be left up to the individual. I think there is way to much pressure put on some people to move up before they are ready, especially if they aren't comfortable with the decission themselves. And not everyone is playing tourneys with Open level aspirations, and rightfully so, as not everyone is going to have Open level talent, or more importanly Open level dedication.
Bradbalk
Site Admin

Postby Single L » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:45 pm

I would agree with almost every view point on this issue for that I have tried both methods. I am a high 800 player, joined in 2003.
Moved up to advance in late 05’ to improve my game, even though my rating wasn’t 915. Poor finishes led to lack of confidence and even worse rounds.
I have since moved back down to Int. and my game has improved with the confidence. I say to move up when you are comfortable with your skills, not your rating.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby Chase20460 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:04 am

Thanks Tank. I appreciate the kind words, as does Jessica.

As far as people doing what in whatever division:

If the people spent as much time practicing as they did razzing Train for being a bagger, they would be better than him. The people that spend time dominating a lower division are only hurting themsleves, and I speak from experiance. I should have started playing Pro at least a year ago, and didnt , and was playing mediocre golf all the time. I have little to no time to practice now, but am still a better player since I moved up to Open, as I ALWAYS play with a higher caliber group of players. It can be, at times, slightly embarrasing. It has also proved to be what I think I needed to evolve as a player.

Do I like donating at tournaments? No, but I respect that each level provides a challenge for me, and that I have to pay my dues and learn from the experiances. Every player stumbles, its how you carry yourself after you fall that dictates how far you can go in the game.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby Lou Siffer » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:05 am

Chase20460 wrote:Every player stumbles, its how you carry yourself after you fall that dictates how far you can go in the game.

I think that sums it all up very nicely. Well put.
"Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then we shall find the way."
-Abraham Lincoln
Lou Siffer

Postby Eminem4president » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:12 am

As a matter of fact, Since the PDGA is granting amnesty to ANY Open player, no questions asked, I may move down and try to win Am worlds.

You think there's sandbaggers now, Holy Sh!t, wait til next year.

This move by the PDGA may move me into early retirement.
I don't "Owe You" like 2 vowels...

A million here, a million there...
Eminem4president

Postby flyinplastic23 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:12 am

i advocate moving up, but speaking from my experience, just because you are winning tournies at home, doesnt mean you will win in the same division when you leave the area.

I thought i was playing pretty well in advance until i left for nationals and got my arse handed to me. I even had aspirations of maybe going pro by the end of next year, it took a national tourny for me to realize I was NO WHERE near that level of play to move up. From what I know train doesnt travel all that much, if he did we might find he isnt winning all of those tournies that he is at home. Besides how many tournies has he even played this summer? If his rating is low enough then play what ever... but i bet if he did move up he would see an improvement in his own game.
Last edited by flyinplastic23 on Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
A person with great dreams can accomplish great things- Bob Rotella

Pionta Guinness, le do thoil
flyinplastic23

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:19 am

haha, lmao, all this just because an old roomate flips his bud some shit. I agree with MDR and flyin, truly, he'll move up when he's ready, ratings will prevent him from playing intermediate soon enough. It's not like he's dominating the int. division with 950 golf or something. He's lucky he gets to go to the tourneys that he does go to. It's all about confidence and dedication, as I know all too well. Chase's words are well thought out, too. I'm sure they hit home with a lot of us.
GDL17921

Postby MDR_3000 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:30 am

Eminem4president wrote:As a matter of fact, Since the PDGA is granting amnesty to ANY Open player, no questions asked, I may move down and try to win Am worlds.

You think there's sandbaggers now, Holy Sh!t, wait til next year.

This move by the PDGA may move me into early retirement.

I don't think very many people will take advantage of it. Just how not very many people take advantage of the "Pros playing Am".
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Postby Like_Water » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:38 am

What Tank isn't telling you is he's got skillz and good hands. He knew he could play at the top level. I on the other hand, never thought I could when I started playing. It took a couple years in advanced to realize, I think i can shave 20 strokes off over a couple rounds.

Can I really move back down to advanced? :salivating
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby jess20460 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:01 am

Okay- Rounds and Train- I'm sorry I mentioned sandbagging.. :D :D :D

Everyone else-- this is the wrong thread for the sandbagging topic.. Especially since Train didn't even play on Sunday..
jess20460

Postby Like_Water » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:23 am

Sandbagging is a term used for ANYONE who wins an am event. That's what comes with the territory. I don't care if it's rec. You win, you get the call, SANDBAGGER!
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby RedEye19357 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:15 am

flyinplastic23 wrote:i advocate moving up, but speaking from experience, just because you are winning tournies at home, doesnt mean you will win in the same division when you leave the area.

I thought i was playing pretty well in advance until i left for nationals and got my arse handed to me. I even had aspirations of maybe going pro by the end of next year, it took a national tourny for me to realize I was NO WHERE near that level of play to move up. From what I know train doesnt travel all that much, if he did we might find he isnt winning all of those tournies that he is at home. Besides how many tournies has he even played this summer? If his rating is low enough then play what ever... but i bet if he did move up he would see an improvement in his own game.

In all honesting Train and I give each other crap all the time because we play together all the time. He and I have played a great amount of tourneys in five different states this year alone. He wins a couple, places well in others, I started calling him bagger when I fell off a bit at some tourneys we played in just to eff around. Then everyone picked up on it, and now everyone thinks he should move up, which he will soon. He has got lucky in some of the tourneys winning by like a stroak with like ten people tied right behind him. So I guess all those people would be baggers also, but I do not think so. The point of the fact is he did not play in this tourney and would have probably shot like crap because he does all the time at Eastern. He knows just as I know we could probably compete in advanced and take in the rear for awhile but when our confidence gets back to the level it used to be at we will both move up. Kelli you really know nothing of his game and I know he and I as well can hack with some of the top people around the D.G. area but we both decided to play intermediate this year, so we have. Lucky for me I did because this come back year has had alot of up's and a sh!t load of downs. :lol: :lol:
RedEye19357

Postby flyinplastic23 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:22 am

rounds re-read my post... i was sticking up for train saying he should play intermediate as long as he wants and is allowed by his rating, the same goes for you. Disc golfers give each other crap... and its annoying, but you should always do whats best for you, and for the sport... everyone else can shove it! and my name is spelled KELLY... i think you spell it different everytime!

edit maybe mdr or balk could split this thread and start a sandbagger theology thread under stuff...
A person with great dreams can accomplish great things- Bob Rotella

Pionta Guinness, le do thoil
flyinplastic23

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:01 pm

redeye19357 wrote:but when our confidence gets back to the level it used to be at we will both take it in the rear for awhile

:? :lol:
GDL17921

Postby RedEye19357 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:08 pm

jess20460 wrote:Okay- Rounds and Train- I'm sorry I mentioned sandbagging.. :D :D :D

Everyone else-- this is the wrong thread for the sandbagging topic.. Especially since Train didn't even play on Sunday..

It is o.k. when ever my name is mentioned there is always some type of conversasion that will arise. :D
RedEye19357

PreviousNext

Return to Iowa Tournaments