Quitting Smoking Cigs?

Let us know what you want to see on the forum, or on the main website.

Postby Cydisc » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:22 pm

The coughing fit I had when I tried one as a kid was enough to give them up before I even started.
Cydisc

Postby Ferch » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:23 pm

Thanks guys for the info. So far so good no cigs for me, but I found a side effect from the Commit lazenges. They amp you up big time! I know nicotine is a stimulant, but wow I could sell these things to crack heads! Red Bull doesn't have anything on these puppies! :lol:
Ferch

Postby Sniper26 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:00 am

They make them in different nicotine dosages, I believe it was 2mg and 4 mg. The 4's were pretty potent, but follow the program and they work.
Sniper26

Postby Single L » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:57 am

Sniper26 wrote:Now all that glitters isn't gold for me, I started chewing when my son was born, we were 14 days in the natal ICU. On the bright side; they can make fake teeth and lips but they haven't figured out that fake lung thing yet.

Good luck.

So you never really quit?? I quit chewing about 4 years ago, the problem was my wife smoked so I would bum cigs everyone and a while and would smoke when I drank and smoke when I played disc golf. So I really never quit the nicotine. I really hated smoking so about a year and a half ago I started chewing again, although I still smoked while drinking. Well my wife quit smoking cold turkey; it's been about 3 months now. Since then I have been able to quit smoking while I do things and as of the DSM Ice Bowl I have quit chewing. The first week was very hard; this week has been much easier.

This could possibly explain my going off the handle on one of the other topics on here.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby Nohr » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:11 pm

Quitting smoking sucks. Heard this on a documentary from woody harrelson

Something along the lines of

"Once I realized that if my body wanted a cigarette it really wanted a deep breath. So take a deep breath and hold. Works every time"

A couple things that I have heard/tried through the years.

Cinnamon sticks. These are about the size of a smoke and you can draw air through it. You would be suprised your body might react in a positive way through just drawing air.

Stop smoking in the car. Most smokers I know instantly light up a smoke when they get in the car. Trying to break yourself of this habit helps cut down on smoking a lot

Realize you might relapse. It isn't the end of the world if you have a smoke while you are out. It doesn't mean you have to start up again. Hell it doesn't even matter if you stress out and buy a pack. Just remember you want to quit and this is just a temporary road block.

If you can sleep for 8 hours with out a cigarette you can probably go 8 hours during the day without a cigarette. I know at least one smoker that would wake up every 3-4 hours and smoke a cigarette. This is crazy that his body is craving it so much.

Good luck to everyone trying. I have always heard if you make it past 3 days you are past the worst part. But also realize it takes ~28 days of doing (or not doing) something to make that a habit.
Nohr

Postby SARG27044 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:22 pm

Im hoping getting my wisdom teeth pulled will do it for me, cuz they say its bad to do it for the few days after you have the surgery. Probably be the first thing I do when I leave though... :roll:
SARG27044

Postby irban » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:08 pm

I second the cinnamon sticks. I used em for about 3 or 4 months after I quit. When you inhale through them there is kind of a dusty feel to the air which seems to simulate smoke. Plus chewing it keeps a little taste in your mouth, much better than candy or whatever. Good luck man, 50 cigarettes to nothing per day was not easy, but I can only imagine how much I'd be dragging by now if I'd kept that up.
Last edited by irban on Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby anubis080 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:09 pm

here is some useful information pulled off of highlighthealth.com :

Smoking cessation timeline – the health benefits over time

* In 20 minutes, your blood pressure and pulse rate decrease, and the body temperature of your hands and feet increase.
* Carbon monoxide in cigarette smoke reduces the blood’s ability to carry oxygen. At 8 hours, the carbon monoxide level in your blood decreases to normal. With the decrease in carbon monoxide, your blood oxygen level increases to normal.
* At 24 hours, your risk of having a heart attack decreases.

* At 48 hours, nerve endings start to regrow and the ability to smell and taste is enhanced.

* Between 2 weeks and 3 months, your circulation improves, walking becomes easier and you don’t cough or wheeze as often. Phlegm production decreases. Within several months, you have significant improvement in lung function.

* In 1 to 9 months, coughs, sinus congestion, fatigue and shortness of breath decrease as you continue to see significant improvement in lung function. Cilia, tiny hair-like structures that move mucus out of the lungs, regain normal function.

* In 1 year, risk of coronary heart disease and heart attack is reduced to half that of a smoker.

* Between 5 and 15 years after quitting, your risk of having a stroke returns to that of a non-smoker.

* In 10 years, your risk of lung cancer drops. Additionally, your risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney and pancreas decrease. Even after a decade of not smoking however, your risk of lung cancer remains higher than in people who have never smoked. Your risk of ulcer also decreases.

* In 15 years, your risk of coronary heart disease and heart attack in similar to that of people who have never smoked. The risk of death returns to nearly the level of a non-smoker.
"he always flips his nuke ss's over forehand"-Rich
"those are regular z nukes, Rich..."-Andy
anubis080

Postby z-man » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:03 pm

I had crazy lucid dreams while on Chantix...I had to stop the treatment because I'd wake up some nights thinking I was dead...
I want to get a vending machine with fun sized candy bars...and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late.
-Mitch Hedberg
~namaste~
z-man

Postby JBOCK » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:12 am

I started smoking @ 16 and @ a pack a day by 19.... I did a few NYE bets of who could quit longer . I tried gum, chantix, patch over the years but the best WAS sunflower seeds... Eventuality my cheeks hurt and had enough salt...... I've now been 4 mo cig free using a e-cig..... I would suggest this to anyone who smokes a pac + per day. The refills are lil pricey but still cheaper than a carton of cigs... Even 4 mo in I still think , want , and hate cigs but will stay cig free. F you P. Morris , shoulda made a healthy addictive thing like dg ...
A bad day at disc golf is still better than a good day at anything else.... Unless its also disc golf
JBOCK

Previous

Return to Suggestions